Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CIR Applicants 2014

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: CIR Applicants 2014

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    not that throwing japanese words randomly into english sentences bullshit.
    But it's so 難しい!

Ban the fucker.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Ban the fucker.
    Love you too, love you too.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Getting mixed messages, guys. The thread is kind of old. I guess we could move the post to the Japanese section or just remember to forever not use Japanese I guess. But since it's just me and AyaReiko, and the whole CIR thing....
    So should we not use any Japanese here anymore?
    That's my bad, I didn't realise this was the CIR thread. There's no rule against using Japanese. You're not going to get infracted for it, don't worry. I was just trying to give a bit of advice and didn't realise it had already been discussed in the thread.

On the other hand, I'd say in the first example it's fine because you're discussing Japanese language study. But when you just insert Japanese into your otherwise English language conversation it can be bad for two reasons;

1. It's alienating/intimidating to those who don't understand it.

2. It can look like you're trying to show off. If you're talking with other native English speakers and there's no specific reason to use Japanese then it can appear as if you're trying to either flaunt your Japanese language skills or your "Japaneseness".

Anyway, it's just a bit of friendly advice. IMO: discussing Japanese or Japanese study - use as much Japanese as you like. Inserting unnecessary Japanese vocab into otherwise English sentences - might be worth avoiding.

Yeah, sorry! I think we were told before that it was okay in this thread so I just went ahead and did it (in the worse way possible too, since I totally did just put in one word...)
    I work in a bilingual environment so I'm constantly talking in more than one language in a sentence, hahaha.

In other news, what do you guys think is the best translation for "kuyashii"? There are a few words like that that I always say in Japanese because I can't think of the English or the French... (Others being "mendokusai", "mabushii" and "natukashii"... also "tako".)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

You are totally okay doing it in this thread. Jiggit was just in auto pilot god mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Just to reiterate, anyone is free to write as much Japanese as they like in any thread!
    ... but we will perhaps think less of them.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by azguitarist View Post
    TOPDOGGrowl.JPG

Carry on CIRing, people.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    ... but we will perhaps think less of them.
    Your importance on this site will shrink
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Hi!
    I'm a current first year CIR! If there's anything you want to know, just ask! Good luck with your application!

By the way I'm not really sure where the claim that very few CIR placements are based in offices comes from. I don't know a single CIR who isn't based in an office.

The term 'ESID' is extremely relevant to CIR placements; 2 CIRs could be doing 2 wildly different jobs. However, a common thing is being expected to be a jack of all trades, haha. In my case, my job is basically to be someone from a country other than Japan who can speak Japanese and English and do all the things in my area demanded from someone like that. So it varies from the likes of translation/interpreting to holding community events to some more random things. And yeah, I do teach English classes once a week in a community center. Most CIRs I know do teach their native language at least every now and then! However I've met a lot of CIRs and none have had English teaching as their main job role.
    Last edited by Moso; January 19th, 2015 at 14:29.

Oh yay, thanks for joining us! How do you like being a CIR so far? Did you recontract?

I actually thought all CIR placements were in offices until I heard some people say they weren't. One of my friends got a position last year and she's office only, I think.

How important do you think it is to be a quick learner to be a CIR? For example, how much experience did you have in all the things you had to do before going to Japan?
    Do you know of CIRs who teach languages other than English?

I don't want to inundate you with questions, haha. Of course, feel free to ask me anything too!

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    Oh yay, thanks for joining us! How do you like being a CIR so far? Did you recontract?

I actually thought all CIR placements were in offices until I heard some people say they weren't. One of my friends got a position last year and she's office only, I think.

How important do you think it is to be a quick learner to be a CIR? For example, how much experience did you have in all the things you had to do before going to Japan?
    Do you know of CIRs who teach languages other than English?

I don't want to inundate you with questions, haha. Of course, feel free to ask me anything too!
    I mean yeah I also thought all CIRs were based in offices! As far as I know most CIRs are based in Prefectural offices (県庁), City halls (市役所), and international associations (国際交流協会).

Overall I do like being a CIR. There are also things I don't like, but yeah all in all it's good and I made the decision last week to recontract!

Hmmm about being a quick learner I think that depends on your coworkers tbh. Mine are very understanding, so they're definitely not the type to throw me in the deep end. There are also two senpai CIRs in my office, and we often do assignments together, so it was easy to learn from them. I had translation experience beforehand, which I guess helped, and experience doing presentations, which definitely helped. I have to do a lot of presentations, so having done countless presentations over the course of my university life helped a lot! But honestly I don't think I had to be a quick learner for my position. They were very nice. Some of my other friends offices seem more stressful. Luck of the draw I guess.

Yeah there are plenty of CIRs who teach languages other than English. I work with a Chinese CIR and a Korean CIR, and they do Chinese and Korean classes. If you speak a language other than English to a high level (that Japanese people would be interested in learning), you may have the opportunity to teach that too I suppose!

Cool, congratulations on recontracting then! I suppose there are no perfect jobs, but as long as there's more good than bad, then that's super. I'm glad to hear your sempai and coworkers are nice, too.

Oh, you're in a big office then! Or do many CIRs work with others? (I know, I know, ESID, but I'm thinking averages here!)

And what kind of presentations do you do? For whom? Surely they can't all be about your country... can they?
    Have you ever had to organize events?

Oh yeah, English isn't my first language, so I was wondering about that...

Cool, congratulations on recontracting then! I suppose there are no perfect jobs, but as long as there's more good than bad, then that's super. I'm glad to hear your sempai and coworkers are nice, too.

Oh, you're in a big office then! Or do many CIRs work with others? (I know, I know, ESID, but I'm thinking averages here!)

And what kind of presentations do you do? For whom? Surely they can't all be about your country... can they?

Hmmm, I think I'm in an average/small sized city hall! In most prefectures a city of my size probably wouldn't be very significant but I'm in Shimane prefecture (the height of rural) so this is a major city here. Also we have the most CIRs of any prefecture. I was surprised in the mid-year conference to find out most prefectures only have like 5 CIRs as opposed to 20! You're more likely to have coworkers in a prefectural office (県庁) position than city hall.

Erm honestly the presentations I've done are mostly about my country LOL. For a variety of people really, but most commonly community centers and schools/kindergartens/daycare centres are the ones who request I come in to do a talk. So the listeners tend to be either really old or really young. Sometimes they're general presentations, but sometimes they want to know about a specific thing like food or like, Christmas etc.

Yes, I've organised events. I've organised mainly cooking classes and Christmas and Halloween events this far.

Ahhh right, well depending on your native language you may be asked to give language lessons. Not all CIRs give language lessons anyway, but it's quite a common thing.

Thanks for all the info! I'm also applying to be a CIR and have my interview in February.
    Are there any interview tips you could think to give us? I've been reading Japanese newspapers and watching NHK, but I'm not sure what else I should do to prepare.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Thanks for all the info! I'm also applying to be a CIR and have my interview in February.
    Are there any interview tips you could think to give us? I've been reading Japanese newspapers and watching NHK, but I'm not sure what else I should do to prepare.
    Well I think while it's good to be up to date on current Japanese news make sure you're also aware of what's going in your country. Also think about how you can be an ambassador for and represent your country. They may ask you stuff a long the lines of if you had to take one item/food/movie/etcetc. to represent your country, what would it be? And what would Japanese people be interested in from your culture?

They will probably ask about cross-cultural stuff, especially if you have experience living in Japan (seems like you do?). They also want to see how well you'd fit in at a Japanese workplace so they may ask you a lot of stuff in regards to that.

As a UK candidate, I knew in advance that most if not all of the interview would be in Japanese so I thought up some potential questions and tried to come up with answers to them in Japanese. I'm not saying memorise a whole bunch of potential answers because it will be obvious and awkward, but having got a solid idea of the kind of things I wanted to say in Japanese really helped. If you're a US candidate, I think a lot less of the interview is actually in Japanese(??).

P.S. If you checked the box that said you'd also like to be considered for an ALT position, make sure you're prepared to answer questions about it! I ticked that box, and I just presumed that they would probably only ask very basic questions "would you really be okay with an ALT position?"
    But they asked detailed questions about how I'd deal with ALT life, specific classroom situations etc.

I was a 県庁 CIR for 2 years, gots to establish the cred)

In terms of who you work with, unless you work for a large city or in a prefecture that really needs it you will probably be the only "English" CIR in your division. As well, say for example you work for a 県庁 and there is a 国際交流会 or whatever in the city they might have their own English-speaking CIR as well. In this case the CO would probably be the same (you both work for the city) but your workplace is different. If you do have CIR colleagues they will probably have a language designation other than English. I worked with a Korean and a Chinese CIR and it was a total blast - we got to work on fun projects together, I learned a little Chinese and Korean, and it was just lovely to have other foreign types around

I think presentations will vary on what is asked of you. I used to present a lot to cultural organisations or business groups in addition to school visits. Sometimes I would also make internal presentations to the government about specific cultural things if we had guests coming or people were going abroad. Usually it will be about your country, but you might be asked to speak about topics like "western education practices" or something more broadly. If you make friends in the community, it's pretty easy to get them to request a speech from you on whatever topic you mutually decide is good. Same kind of thing goes for events; a lot of places probably will have established events but unless your CO is particularly draconian if you can find a way to do something for cheap/free it will probably go over well. BUT all this depends on what your office has you doing/what kind of people you work with.

And don't worry so much about the English, my successor's first language was not English. They did their High School and their Uni in an English speaking school and that was more than enough!

Penguee, just so you have another idea about the Japanese part of the interview, last year i had to read a text out loud and then answer two comprehension question and at least one open ended question. The rest of the interview was in English. In fact, one of the panellists did not speak Japanese. Don't forget to look at them too if the same thing happens to you!

Ercasse, cool, thanks for coming out of the shadows and sharing your experience! It's really interesting that you both have Chinese and Korean colleagues! I don't know why, but I love when the common language is Japanese.
    So I guess you also have to do a lot of presentations? Do you usually do them alone? How about you, Moso?

Oh yeah, and I'm not too worried about the "not native anglophone" thing, since a) I won't necessarily be teaching it,; and b) even if I did have to, I learned it as a second language, so I guess it even gives me an edge!