Thread: Leaving JET for Interac - tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Leaving JET for Interac - tips?

Hey guys, apologies

I'm currently a second-year JET in Niigata, and while it's all been fine and dandy, I'm looking to move up to Hokkaido (preferably Sapporo or Obihiro) after my contract expires. I need a job first, though, and Interac sounds like it's a similar deal that's a lot more flexible about placements.

I guess I have two questions. First, how exactly flexible are they about placements? I want to move entirely for relationship reasons (longtime girlfriend is currently locked into a job up there), and Hokkaido is huge; the idea is to eliminate the distance, not marginally decrease it. How much better than JET is Interac at considering specific location requests?

Second, it sounds like Interac responds quickly to applications, which is perfect - we have to make a recontracting decision in early January, and since my work visa expires next year, I'm nervous about quitting JET and heading up on a hope and a prayer. My question is, does it matter how early I apply if I'm looking to head up in August?

Third, any tips about applying for Interac? I'm especially curious about references - is it a good idea to use teachers from the schools I currently work at (their English is fine)? Is it better to use higher administration members, even though their English ability may not exist? Is the statement of purpose something similar to JET? Any tips at all would be great. Thanks!

Banned

Default Leaving JET for Interac - tips?

My guess is that you're going to have to be fairly lucky to get an exact placement. It might work differently for current ALTs in Japan, but the word here is that you don't have confirmation of your placement with Interac until very late in the process, probably too late for you to make an informed decision.

Why aren't you aiming for direct hire in the city? If your girlfriend lives there, schedule some interviews and go up to stay with her for a week.

Default Re: Leaving JET for Interac - tips?

Honestly, I have no idea of how to go about looking for direct hire work. I've been looking around GaijinPot, but it's never been as easy as just scheduling an interview and flying up (and honestly, this is my first time job hunting since college, which was all local retail places anyways).

Ok, there is a misconception about the location avability. I would point out that they can't promise you a location, but they can try. I would reccomend that you get the number for the Hokkiado branch and give them a call directly. You would be able to skip the application process in exchange for a telephone/physical interview. They will also tell you if there are any spaces in that branch.

EDIT* humm, here is a list of office locations.

Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

For direct hires, Hello Work or Indeed.jp would be better than Gaijinpot. The best way, though, is by word of mouth. Get your girlfriend to ask around.

Your best bet is to be a direct hire. The chances of you getting a placement from an agency that's where you want is probably going to be a crapshoot.

I am so glad I found this thread, because I too want to leave JET for Interac if possible.

All the responses seem to pertain to OPs question about location preferences, though.

I really, really want answers to the following two questions:
    "Second, we have to make a recontracting decision in early January, and since my work visa expires next year, I'm nervous about quitting JET and heading up on a hope and a prayer. My question is, does it matter how early I apply if I'm looking to head up in August?"

"Third, any tips about applying for Interac? I'm especially curious about references - is it a good idea to use teachers from the schools I currently work at (their English is fine)? Is it better to use higher administration members, even though their English ability may not exist? Is the statement of purpose something similar to JET? Any tips at all would be great. Thanks!"

I especially want to know about the second question, because I too want to start in July/August to avoid breaking my JET contract but I want to know if Interac will give me a position in early January, before the JET recontracting deadline. Unlike OP, I am not happy with my current position, but I am concerned that I won't get a good reference if I break contract, which is an issue because this is my only teaching job and I want to be a career teacher and ALSO because I'll likely have to leave Interac a week or two early to go to grad school (if the contract starts in mid or late August... early August might be OK).

I'm really concerned because all their literature seems to emphasize that Interac is only hiring for March/April starting positions right now and that this is their big recruiting season, with fall having many fewer positions (and probably more applicants, because that's soon after us westerners graduate from college). So I'm super concerned that I'll give up my JET job in January, interview with Interac in February....and not get hired.

Also, I read somewhere than Interac has a grammar test, does anyone have any tips on what to study for that?