Thread: A couple of quick questions regarding the application process

Default A couple of quick questions regarding the application process

Hi everyone!

I'm from the UK and am applying for JET this year. I'm preparing my application at the moment, and I have a few questions that I'm struggling with. If anyone can help it'll be really appreciated.

1) I collected my university transcript today. While it follows most of the guidelines set out in the application procedure - it details all modules taken and yet to be completed, it's on headed paper, it carries an offical university stamp - the signature on it is photocopied. When I asked if they could provide a hand-written signature, they told me that since it's a commonly requested document, it would be a logistical nightmare to have them all hand-signed, and so that this is the only way they are able to provide it (with the photocopied signature). The stamp should attest to the authenticity of the document. Will this be acceptable? Or will I have to go back to student services and somehow get through to someone who will hand-sign it?

2) Regarding the proof of degree letter (I haven't yet graduated), there is the same problem - the signature on it is photocopied. In addition to this, the letter they gave me is not addressed to the JET programme/does not follow the wording specified on the website, but rather is a generic letter that they give to everyone who requests a proof of degree letter (mainly obtained by students to show they don't have to pay council tax). Again - do you think this will matter?

3) I made an appointment to see the Doctor tomorrow. However, quite stupidly, I didn't realise that it doesn't seem you can access the self-assessment medical form, authorization and release form, and statement of physician until you submit the online application form. Is there any way I can access these documents before online submission?

Thanks everyone! Any help is really appreciated.

Default Re: A couple of quick questions regarding the application process

With regards to your first question - It should be fine, as long as it has one of those shiny stamps which shows it's authentic. Not sure about your other questions.

What has me scratching my head a bit is that the self-assessment form is part of the online app too. Meaning I have to book a doc appointment to go through my medical notes, fill that in at home and submit, get the statement of physician printed off and go back to another appointment the same day. Doesn't seem right and I look a bit of a nutter at the GP haha

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm from the UK and am applying for JET this year. I'm preparing my application at the moment, and I have a few questions that I'm struggling with. If anyone can help it'll be really appreciated.

1) I collected my university transcript today. While it follows most of the guidelines set out in the application procedure - it details all modules taken and yet to be completed, it's on headed paper, it carries an offical university stamp - the signature on it is photocopied. When I asked if they could provide a hand-written signature, they told me that since it's a commonly requested document, it would be a logistical nightmare to have them all hand-signed, and so that this is the only way they are able to provide it (with the photocopied signature). The stamp should attest to the authenticity of the document. Will this be acceptable? Or will I have to go back to student services and somehow get through to someone who will hand-sign it?

2) Regarding the proof of degree letter (I haven't yet graduated), there is the same problem - the signature on it is photocopied. In addition to this, the letter they gave me is not addressed to the JET programme/does not follow the wording specified on the website, but rather is a generic letter that they give to everyone who requests a proof of degree letter (mainly obtained by students to show they don't have to pay council tax). Again - do you think this will matter?

3) I made an appointment to see the Doctor tomorrow. However, quite stupidly, I didn't realise that it doesn't seem you can access the self-assessment medical form, authorization and release form, and statement of physician until you submit the online application form. Is there any way I can access these documents before online submission?

To my knowledge, the JET coordinators from the Embassy in the UK do not read these forums. Since procedures and requirements in the UK vary from the U.S., neither SF nor I can answer your questions with 100% accuracy.

The best place for your answers will be the coordinator at the embassy in the UK.

Good luck!
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Hey there! I'm applying from the UK and I actually called them about the first two issues you've had. The guidelines don't necessarily have to be strictly followed and the guy I spoke to said they understand that some universities just won't give you documents that 100% comply with the guidelines. As long as it is an official transcript or proof of degree document then you will be fine.

I'm a bit late for the final question I guess but if you still need it I can email you my statement of physician stuff. Really, the application takes no longer than an hour to complete anyway so you're better off bashing it out and getting the form yourself

Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    To my knowledge, the JET coordinators from the Embassy in the UK do not read these forums. Since procedures and requirements in the UK vary from the U.S., neither SF nor I can answer your questions with 100% accuracy.

The best place for your answers will be the coordinator at the embassy in the UK.

Good luck!
    Seconded. We have no jurisdiction over non-US applicants and do not have information about your application procedures, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Hi everyone!

Forms available here! Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme UK - Register

My problem now is the opposite of yours, I have the forms but the doc wont give me an appointment before December the 2nd.. the reception was adamant I need an hour slot booked with a nurse pfft. Going to pester them in person tomorrow with the actual forms so they see how simple it is.
    Last edited by T.H.S.; November 14th, 2014 at 06:06.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Yeah, take it from someone who did all this before - you definitely don't. I was done in ten minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

My doctors were overly fussy about it when I first applied - they caused such a stink about it and nearly made me miss the deadline because they kept mixing up how to do it (amazing since it is so straightforward). Charged me loads too :/

I decided since the hassle last time I just arranged an appointment in advance, spoke to one of the nicer doctors and had a headed, stamped and signed letter written explaining my medical condition I was disclosing and that I was medically fit. But tbh, that shouldn't HAVE to be done over something as simple as this form.

Really - it is a case of appointment, explain the programme, get the form signed. If no appointment - they can usually just do it and have it returned asap :/

Quote Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
    My doctors were overly fussy about it when I first applied - they caused such a stink about it and nearly made me miss the deadline because they kept mixing up how to do it (amazing since it is so straightforward). Charged me loads too :/

I decided since the hassle last time I just arranged an appointment in advance, spoke to one of the nicer doctors and had a headed, stamped and signed letter written explaining my medical condition I was disclosing and that I was medically fit. But tbh, that shouldn't HAVE to be done over something as simple as this form.

Really - it is a case of appointment, explain the programme, get the form signed. If no appointment - they can usually just do it and have it returned asap :/
    My case is awkward too - they will only do it for me if I leave the forms in so the doc can do them when he is free (at the cost of £25). This morning I left the forms with them, the receptionist guaranteed the doctor would do them for me and I could come pick them up. I made sure to ask, that seeing as it is a self-assessment he may be hesitant to do it without me there, but she said it is the only way. Pretty weird of them.

Expecting a phone call saying how it isn't appropriate for a doctor to fill in an applicant's self assessment for them haha. Tempted to phone up and say I have a cold.. they'd get me an appointment the next day and I'd ambush them.

Quote Originally Posted by T.H.S. View Post
    My case is awkward too - they will only do it for me if I leave the forms in so the doc can do them when he is free (at the cost of £25). This morning I left the forms with them, the receptionist guaranteed the doctor would do them for me and I could come pick them up. I made sure to ask, that seeing as it is a self-assessment he may be hesitant to do it without me there, but she said it is the only way. Pretty weird of them.

Expecting a phone call saying how it isn't appropriate for a doctor to fill in an applicant's self assessment for them haha. Tempted to phone up and say I have a cold.. they'd get me an appointment the next day and I'd ambush them.
    That is EXACTLY what mine did and then tried to charge me for a medical among other things. Very weird.

To be honest, I would keep on top of them - forms get "misplaced" or "forgotten" and you'll end up not hearing back for months! If you don't hear back sometime next week I would just book an appointment in case so you can make them do it there and then.

Thanks everyone! That was all very helpful. I managed to re-book my Doctor's appointment for Monday so I have some time to go over my application form (I'm trying to be as meticulous as possible). That's really good to know lewis, very relieving. I think I'll call up as well, just to ensure we get the same answer.

Good luck everyone!

I was at doctors to get my SoP signed yesterday. She seemed a bit pissed off that the receptionists had booked me in for it, saying it's not the sort of thing they'd normally do. She still signed it though so let her grumble all she likes. She told me I'd have to bring CoH in for her to clarify if she can fill them in.

Has anybody discovered an effective way to twist the GP's arm into being more forthcoming? At the moment it is a real possibility I can't apply this year because I can't remember the name or date of a prescribed ointment I had 3 years ago (for a skin reaction to workshop MDF dust before you get ideas) and nobody will let me see my medical records until December 2nd . Btw, how do the JET people know if you miss off something.. such as.. said.. medication...?
    Last edited by T.H.S.; November 16th, 2014 at 04:52.

Quote Originally Posted by T.H.S. View Post
    Has anybody discovered an effective way to twist the GP's arm into being more forthcoming? At the moment it is a real possibility I can't apply this year because I can't remember the name or date of a prescribed ointment I had 3 years ago (for a skin reaction to workshop MDF dust before you get ideas) and nobody will let me see my medical records until December 2nd . Btw, how do the JET people know if you miss off something.. such as.. said.. medication...?
    That's awful and pretty ridiculous... Can't they print records for you? I was offered a copy for a fee but then the receptionist just confirmed the date of my appt. for me in the end. It really is ridiculous.

The only solution I found this year as I mentioned before was to book an appt. With doctor in September and get a letter addressing my previous conditions but that was thanks to hindsight from my previous application stress.

I truly hope you all get this sorted and your doctors are more cooperative. It is horrible to think they can ruin this for you over something so so simple.

I had a similar problems with my doctor regarding that form. First she requested I fax the form in, which I did. I purposely gave her the wrong application deadline (about two weeks before the actual deadline) just in case something went wrong and I needed wiggle room to turn a miracle. So after 2 1/2 weeks of following up asking when/if my form was done, I get a call from my doctors secretary two days before my fake deadline telling me my doctor first needed me to send proof I had seen another doctor she referred me to for a possible condition before she would sign off on the form. I had seen this second doctor and nothing was found to be wrong, but the fact she wanted this confirmation only 2 days before my fake deadline really pissed me off.

I called the second doctor's office to get the confirmation, to which I was told they had already sent the confirmation MONTHS ago to my doctor, but they sent it again that afternoon. Luckily both doctors operated out of the same building, so the confirmation was received by my primary doctor the same day. Once that was done, my doctor signed off on my form that evening, but I couldn't pick it up until the following morning (1 day before my fake deadline).

Had that been the actual JET application deadline, I would've been screwed. I don't live in the same state as the embassy office.

Oh, but it gets better. When I finally got the form and had a look at it, I discovered it was filled out wrong, even though I had clearly explained to my doctor that she had to mention my lifelong but minor chronic condition in her assessment. She didn't mention it all. So rather than tussle with her two weeks before the actual deadline to correct it, I took advantage of a walk-in clinic the following morning, and for $75 was able to get a full medical check-up from a doctor who CORRECTLY (and legibly I might add) filled out the physician form. I was in and out in less than an hour.

Needless to say the physician form was an ordeal. It was the only thing that threatened to derail my entire application. I envy those who were able get theirs done without a hitch.
    Last edited by Fantasylife; November 16th, 2014 at 06:04.

Hmm I might try the walk in centre route. Does anybody in the UK know if your medical records can be accessed at a walk in centre? Might give one a ring tomorrow and ask. Hopefully I can send my application off soon so I can get it in before the mass heap at the end of the month.
    Last edited by T.H.S.; November 16th, 2014 at 07:19.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

As a walk-in they have limited access to your medical records. If toity have something big and important in your past that you need confirmation of, it's generally better to head to your doctor. This info may be out of date, though - last time I worked in medical records was seven years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

They were supposed to be moving everyone's records into a national database, but it was a government project, so who knows if they've finished. It probably got cancelled when they were 80% of the way there or something.
    ...because Japan.

Glad I never had any issues with the physical form. Biggest problem I had with the form was telling them I was going to pay for the appointment same-day. And then they wanted to bounce me around to two-three doctors to see which would be the cheapest (different departments bill for different levels.) Ended up getting a "work physical" through the clinic. Cost me $50 (plus another $45 for the x-ray,) gave the nurse the form, doctor filled it out while looking at my medical records, did basic physical stuff (piss in the cup/turn your head and cough/basic sight and hearing test, etc...) and sent me for the x-ray. Called back next day to come pick the form up. Had them make a couple copies for me and then sent it in.