Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Piercings on the Self-Assessment Medical Form?

Default Piercings on the Self-Assessment Medical Form?

I have a nose stud and a bunch of ear piercings which I was planning on taking out for the interview anyway (if I get one!) so is it really worth disclosing on the medical form? I can definitely cover up the nose piercing with makeup and my ears would be covered by my hair, though the holes are hardly noticeable...

I'm tempted not to mention it just for simplicity's sake but even so, most women have their ears pierced, would we be expected to mention the normal acceptable two??

(I have been working on this application for so long I may have driven myself to madness over every tiny detail but I'd like to hear your thoughts anyway)

Default Re: Piercings on the Self-Assessment Medical Form?

Are you asked about piercings on the medical form? Craziness.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

It seems strange to me too! I wonder if it's a new question for this year as I didn't see any mentions of it in older threads.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Must be an UK thing, American one didn't ask for that detail.

I figure it's part of the whole, "don't judge by appearances" thing.

Nah, it said it on the American one. I wrote that I had ear piercings. Maybe you didn't notice it?

At this point, I guess if you didn't write it down you'll have to hide it.

How do people manage to take months filling in their applications and then come away from it going "I didn't notice that on the form", "I got my own birthday wrong", "I accidentally wrote a death threat to the Japanese PM in the section marked other teaching experience"?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

TBH, I'd say don't worry about mentioning piercings. Take out any of them that you deem necessary for the interview. Then put 'em all back in when you come to Japan. If you get one of those weirdo BoEs that hates piercings, just be all like, "Oh, I celebrated my admission to JET by getting some new piercings!"

I suspect the piercing question was mainly to avoid hiring complete weirdos who had their earlobes stretched to their shoulders and eighteen eyebrow piercings. I could be wrong, though...

miami? SF?
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

How do people manage to take months filling in their applications and then come away from it going "I didn't notice that on the form", "I got my own birthday wrong", "I accidentally wrote a death threat to the Japanese PM in the section marked other teaching experience"?
    Yeah, kind of amazing. "I accidentally sent a list of my favorite sex positions instead of my SOP."
    Not really sure how "birthdate" and "today's date" would mix anyone up? But idk.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Nah, it said it on the American one. I wrote that I had ear piercings. Maybe you didn't notice it?

At this point, I guess if you didn't write it down you'll have to hide it.
    I probably don't remember reading it then (sorry) , seeing as I don't have any piercings, it wasn't a top priority.

This post is literally perfect.

I have a friend with a lip piercing and ear piercings who mentioned them on his medical form. He's now on the JET Program in Takasaki. I have similar piercings and thought it best to just be honest.

Yeah; I think people have said before that it doesn't affect whether you're accepted or not, but it can affect where you're placed. I'm talking out of my arse; miami or SF could probably say for sure.

Ok, thanks everyone! I probably will just mention it, as I'm an honest soul at heart... I'll take 'em out for the interview anyway and they'll be so dazzled by my honesty and professionalism they'll have to hire me. 100% foolproof plan.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Yeah; I think people have said before that it doesn't affect whether you're accepted or not, but it can affect where you're placed. I'm talking out of my arse; miami or SF could probably say for sure.
    Sorry! I didn't see this until now. Yes, the U.S. applications also ask abotu tats and piercings. There is still a heavy social stigma regarding these two things in Japan. Sure, it has gotten better over time, but there are still many onsens that will not let you bathe of you are inked.

I had many JETs last year who had multiple piercings and it was not an issue because they took them off for the interview, and came dressed professionally. If you come to my interviewing with 3 inch gages though, thats not going to fly too well with the other members of the interview panel.

There are those BoEs that may not want to hire someone with piercings and tats, and that is their perogative. However, there are plenty of JETs who have tats and piercings and it is a non-issue for the most part.

We do ask for that information on the heath form because Japan is a country that does not like surprises. Since the application does not require a picture, we at least want to get some sort of idea of who will be walking into the office for the interview.

MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Having piercings or tattoos definitely doesn't affect your acceptance onto the program. I don't know if it would affect your placement - honestly it never even occurred to me that that could be the case. TBH I really don't know what they use that information for in Tokyo.

The interviews are professional, which means you need to show up in a suit and tie. What you do with your hair, piercings, etc. is up to you, but it should reflect professionalism.

I've had many people ask me after they were accepted onto JET what they should do with their piercings, dyed hair, etc. Should they remove it all or go as is? Unfortunately there is no solid answer, as what people think about those things varies from individual to individual. On average Japan is more conservative, especially in schools, where in most schools students are not allowed to dye their hair or have piercings themselves. I tell my outbound JETs that if their piercings and hair are an integral part of their identity then they can go to Japan as is, but they'll run the risk of people stereotyping them from the get-go, and it may make things more difficult at first. However, Japanese people know that Americans and other foreigners do not abide by the Japanese fashion code, so they won't be too surprised. It also sets the bar for your appearance at that "low" of a level. Otherwise you can remove all the piercings and dye your hair back to a normal color. This would allow for a smoother transition, less stereotyping, etc. You can then slowly add back in piercings and dyed hair when you and your colleagues are comfortable with each other. However, there is a possibility that now that you've set the bar that "high", it would be hard to move it. So it really depends on what sort of risks you are willing to take with your new job and life in Japan.

I have one facial piercing that I intend to remove during the interview and, if I'm accepted, during orientation/school time/community events/etc. I also have a LOT of tattoos, but as long as I am wearing long-sleeves and pants you cannot see them. I know I'll get hot in the summer months, but I am prepared to make that "sacrifice" (although I don't consider it to be one since I really want to be a JET). While internationalization is a huge component of the program, I believe caution and assimilation is appropriate for more "alternative" types like myself.

Point is: I did not mention my facial piercing and I only mentioned one of my ~15 tattoos on the Self-Assessment Medical Form. I currently work in a creative field, so my appearance is acceptable as is -- yet I don't want to shake up my reviewers too much. I'm going to do my damnedest to hide them at all times and I feared revealing everything would work against me.
    ドキドキ

Quote Originally Posted by hello_kupo View Post
    I have one facial piercing that I intend to remove during the interview and, if I'm accepted, during orientation/school time/community events/etc. I also have a LOT of tattoos, but as long as I am wearing long-sleeves and pants you cannot see them. I know I'll get hot in the summer months, but I am prepared to make that "sacrifice" (although I don't consider it to be one since I really want to be a JET). While internationalization is a huge component of the program, I believe caution and assimilation is appropriate for more "alternative" types like myself.

Point is: I did not mention my facial piercing and I only mentioned one of my ~15 tattoos on the Self-Assessment Medical Form. I currently work in a creative field, so my appearance is acceptable as is -- yet I don't want to shake up my reviewers too much. I'm going to do my damnedest to hide them at all times and I feared revealing everything would work against me.
    Just as an anecdote, one of the other ALTs I worked with had been a JET and was actually a direct hire by the BOE, and he had a tattoo that was half-visible when he wore short sleeves, which he wore all the time, so it's not necessarily completely forbidden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Libellule View Post
    I really hope Japan doesn't turn me into this.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_kupo View Post

Again, lying on your form is a very bad idea. That's one of the few surefire ways that can get you disqualified. All of your info on those forms eventually makes its way to your Contracting Organization. If you tell them that you only have one tattoo and suddenly you have 15, well that could be quite startling to them. Sure it's possible that you may have gotten 14 tattoos since you filled out your application, but we know that's unlikely. I had a friend who had tattoos on his wrists and he wore long sleeves during the summer to keep them covered up. Eventually he eased his schools into the idea that he has tattoos and could wear short sleeved shirts. Every situation is different, but again, piercings and tattoos aren't going to negatively affect you on the application.

Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Just as an anecdote, one of the other ALTs I worked with had been a JET and was actually a direct hire by the BOE, and he had a tattoo that was half-visible when he wore short sleeves, which he wore all the time, so it's not necessarily completely forbidden.
    Yeah, from what I've seen on the net it seems that it's a pretty mixed reception. Of course, I'd be thrilled to just let it all hang out, but I worry about it being more distracting to students rather than offensive. We'll see. If I get in, maybe my secret will come out over nomikai with the JTE and they'll be all "Pssh, don't worry about it."
    Last edited by hello_kupo; November 14th, 2014 at 06:40.
    ドキドキ

Most women, and a good handful of men, have ear piercings. I do, so I just said that I had one traditional lobe piercing in each ear. No biggie.
    I would think that if you had monstrous gauges or the likes, that would be a problem.