Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell phones in Japan

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Cell phones in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    I've never had a smartphone at all. Anything would be an upgrade for me.
    I was exactly the same, and actually resisted getting a smartphone when I arrived... Until I was forced to get one, and then realized just how useful it was, especially in a foreign country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    I was exactly the same, and actually resisted getting a smartphone when I arrived... Until I was forced to get one, and then realized just how useful it was, especially in a foreign country.
    I would get a smartphone in a heartbeat if I went overseas.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

You're more sensible than I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    You're more sensible than I was.
    I need mah maps.

Also, just so everyone knows, once you come to Japan there is a big chance that you will not be able to get a phone on a payment plan. Why? Well, you have no credit history, that's why. So either apply and have your cell phone put on a foreign credit card every month or be ready to plunk down the entire price of the phone (8 man en or more) at the time of signing. Just a heads up for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Also, just so everyone knows, once you come to Japan there is a big chance that you will not be able to get a phone on a payment plan. Why? Well, you have no credit history, that's why. So either apply and have your cell phone put on a foreign credit card every month or be ready to plunk down the entire price of the phone (8 man en or more) at the time of signing. Just a heads up for everyone.
    Or you could be super lucky and find something on sale. My friend found an iPhone something for 2 man, I think! But yeah, don't count on it...

Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    I've always had an iPhone but I'm kind of interested in looking at the Samsung Galaxy phones if I make it through. But then again, my computer is a Macbook Pro so maybe I should just stick with iPhone for compatibilities sake.
    Not many (if any) samsungs in my part of Japan. I don't honestly know if they sell them over here. Someone care to enlighten me?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Yes they [lov]ing sell galaxy phones. They arent normally in the 100yen shop so that might explain why you havent seen them
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; January 16th, 2015 at 14:16. Reason: Language, darling. x
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

My iphone 4 (first smart phone) was the only reason I did any travelling in Japan in my first few months. It gave me the safety net I needed where ever I was so that I didn't need to worry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

If you have trouble getting a cell phone, have your supervisor come with you to a shop with your contract paperwork. You might be limited as to what payment plans you can do, but there should be a 12 month option (to match your contract.) If you have the money, buy it up front and don't worry about paying for a replacement after 18 months.

I bought my iPhone 5 outright. It only cost me 5 man. It was well worth the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I bought my iPhone 5 outright. It only cost me 5 man. It was well worth the money.
    At least with 'campaign' phones, it's often cheaper to do the payment plan (with the campaign 'rebate.') This does bite you in the butt if you upgrade your phone - you have to pay the full remainder - you lose the rebate when you change handsets. Also not having to deal with that shit if you have to go back home suddenly.