Thread: Reason to panic...

Default Reason to panic...

Thought my letter of graduation had been sent last week,because they emailed me to clarify what was needed. Nope. Got another email today saying the lass dealing with it is out of office until next week, then asking if it needs to be stamped and signed, which I'd already stressed last week. Emailed them saying yes and asking how long it would take as I'd requested this weeks ago. No reply and the office is shut now. I

could honestly cry, I worked full-time while studying, with this application for JET in my sights, and now it could all go to shit because of poor admin on someone elses part. Phoned JET desk, explained the situation and all they could say was put in a covering letter explaining the delay and send it to them separately as soon as I got it, but I don't reckon they'd accept that.

I'm told my reference from the university actually includes my graduation date, but after phoning the desk and explaining this, I'm told it makes no difference.

Utterly deflated at the moment. Going to phone them as soon as the office opens in morning and beg them to send it next day delivery or something. If I don't have it by Tuesday night I'm fucked

Default Re: Reason to panic...

Remember you can hand it in to the embassy/ consulate - which is what I am doing. That gives you until the day of the deadline. I really hope it goes well for you, but at least you have the reassurance that the JET desk has told you that you can send it in later - definitely better than what they could have said .

True, it is better than what they could have said. As for handing it in at the desk, well, I've been considering that. Going to see what OU say in morning when I ring. Going to explain that, as they have had since September to sort this, if I don't get confirmation by 1200 that they are sending the letter registered post/next day to my work address, then I intend to fully exhaust all of the internal complaints procedures, only so I can take it to the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education. If that doesn't work, then will explain at work what has happened, beg for Friday off, then get a train to London on the Thursday night and find a couch to kip on.

I'll be honest, I did a little cry. Put so much into getting here. Working and studying was hard enough, but I was an acting carer for my nana when she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's too. The last three years have been mentally exhausting, putting in 80-90 hour weeks, only for my uni to mess up.

Worst thing is, they sent me a PDF of the letter which has the signature on it. The signature on all their letters is electronic, so it's not like they signed it physically, but just put an image of it on there. So it has the signature on it, just not the stamp.

When I mentioned this to the lady on the JET desk, she said a PDF wouldn't be accepted as they need to be able to hold it. Don't think she realises I meant I would print it and include it in the application with an explanation letter. What makes this even worse is I'm due to get my actual certificate in a few weeks.

Could you not print the PDF, visit the uni and have someone in the office stamp it for you? The stamp would be visibly real, you could ask someone to sign it there?

Or is your uni too far to get to?

Good luck with this

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjoeremarkable View Post
    Worst thing is, they sent me a PDF of the letter which has the signature on it. The signature on all their letters is electronic, so it's not like they signed it physically, but just put an image of it on there. So it has the signature on it, just not the stamp.

When I mentioned this to the lady on the JET desk, she said a PDF wouldn't be accepted as they need to be able to hold it. Don't think she realises I meant I would print it and include it in the application with an explanation letter. What makes this even worse is I'm due to get my actual certificate in a few weeks.
    Welcome to the state of I.T. education in Japan.

Panic over. I called the Uni this morning (Open University so never been able to pop in), and expressed how long I've been waiting for them to sort this. Told them I needed it by Monday. They said they wouldn't send anything Special Delivery. My response was that if I don't receive it by Monday that I would exhaust their internal complaints procedures, then file a complaint with the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education.Got an email an hour later apologising for their error and for any inconvenience, and that the letter is being sent guaranteed to reach me by tomorrow.I replied with my thanks and have since had the spring restored to my step

Glad to hear it worked out!

Quote Originally Posted by therealwindycity View Post
    Glad to hear it worked out!
    Cheers. Me too :P

All sent off, just got the waiting game to play now.