Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: JET Programme & Graduation

  1. #1

    Default JET Programme & Graduation

    So, this one's for the current students who are applying for JET. I complete my degree at the end of June, but will not graduate until October. I presume this is alright as the site specifically states you need to have completed your degree by that time, not have actually graduated. Buuut, how do they know what grade I have? Technically, someone could complete their degree but fail, and results wouldn't be out by departure time for Japan...

    That aside, those who have been in this position, did you fly back to your home country for graduation?

  2. #2
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    By completed, CLAIR mean that you must have been awarded your degree. There must be a certificate or other proof of your degree (the grade doesn't matter). This a visa requirement, and cannot be got around. If you won't get your certificate until your graduation in October, I suggest you call your university and see if they can issue you your certificate early.
    ...because Japan.

  3. #3
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post
    So, this one's for the current students who are applying for JET. I complete my degree at the end of June, but will not graduate until October. I presume this is alright as the site specifically states you need to have completed your degree by that time, not have actually graduated. Buuut, how do they know what grade I have? Technically, someone could complete their degree but fail, and results wouldn't be out by departure time for Japan...

    That aside, those who have been in this position, did you fly back to your home country for graduation?
    Do you mean that your graduation ceremony will be in October, even though you've already finished all of your degree requirements? If so you'll be eligible, but you need to submit transcripts and proof of graduation in May or June. Some documents like the background check and proof of graduation can be submitted after the initial application season, but you do need to send them eventually or you won't be able to get a visa.

    As far as the ceremony itself, it would be a pretty big hassle to fly back at that time. Not only will your schools not be on vacation, but they'll be in the middle of sports and cultural festival season, not to mention that asking for time off immediately after starting is never a good plan with any job.
    Last edited by therealwindycity; November 21st, 2014 at 21:59.

  4. #4

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    Yes, all degree requirements will be completed, I'll never have to set foot in my university again. There have been JET participants from my university so I'm sure they have something in place.

    I know it already seems like I'd be trying to get out of working, but graduation is sort of a big deal with my family, and it would be a shame to miss it on my part as well. Would it be impossible to get 3 days (tuesday-thursday) off in October, or is it really hard to get time off work?

  5. #5
    Senior Moment Antonath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Living on the edge of sanity
    Posts
    6,582

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post
    I know it already seems like I'd be trying to get out of working, but graduation is sort of a big deal with my family, and it would be a shame to miss it on my part as well. Would it be impossible to get 3 days (tuesday-thursday) off in October, or is it really hard to get time off work?
    There will likely be something in your contract about not taking vacation during term unless there are exceptional circumstances such as the death of a close family member. Even then, you would be expected to take as little time off as possible. Graduation is important to Japanese schools, so you will likely get sympathy, but I doubt you'll get the time off.
    ...because Japan.

  6. #6
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    When i came out here i missed both my own and my OH's graduation due to the fact that they were both in September. Stupid system in the UK, the papers and things can be marked in two weeks (and i know as i had all my results back within that time frame), so why on earth do they have to hold onto your certs for 4 months?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  7. #7
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    Quote Originally Posted by Viral View Post
    Yes, all degree requirements will be completed, I'll never have to set foot in my university again. There have been JET participants from my university so I'm sure they have something in place.

    I know it already seems like I'd be trying to get out of working, but graduation is sort of a big deal with my family, and it would be a shame to miss it on my part as well. Would it be impossible to get 3 days (tuesday-thursday) off in October, or is it really hard to get time off work?
    As long as you send it proof of completing your degree you'll be fine.

    As with a lot of things on JET, you can probably get your way if you push hard enough, but it's also a matter of how much of a bad taste it will leave in your BOE's mouth. Martyring yourself for work is something of a national pastime in Japan - why actually take time off when you could tell your coworkers with a sigh that "I couldn't possibly be so selfish as to leave you here"? No one will fire you if you do it, but it could make things a little uncomfortable and they will probably make assumptions about you. And, I mean, isn't graduation a big deal with a lot of people's families? Not to sound harsh, but it sounded a bit like "obviously most people's parents don't care about them graduating by my family is special!"
    Last edited by therealwindycity; November 21st, 2014 at 23:00.

  8. #8

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    I go to a highly internationalised university. Many people do not show up for graduation as it's just not important to them or their families - the only thing important to them is that they complete their degree and be done with it; my comment was only reflecting on that.

  9. #9
    Comrade therealwindycity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Chicago of Japan
    Posts
    3,949

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    I understand what you mean. Is there an opportunity to do a summer graduation ceremony instead?

  10. #10

    Default Re: JET Programme & Graduation

    Haha, you don't know my university :P . I believe that the main problem with graduation dates for us are that we need to book out the royal albert hall for a few days. Unfortunately for us, the RAH is quite popular with real bookings to bend to our universities needs, and I presume that since the first graduation cermony sometime in the last century, they've just decided to follow suit =\ . It does kind of suck that the date is so late though (I believe it's actually the latest grad date for all UK universities).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •