Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Application question - do you think I will be automatically disqualified?

Default Application question - do you think I will be automatically disqualified?

Hi there everyone.

I'm from the UK and am currently applying for JET. I'm quite anxious about something on my application, and I'm finding it fairly hard to tell how detrimental it actually is, so I thought here would be the best place to ask for some advice. Any help is really appreciated!

In my first year of University, I took a beginners course in Japanese. While I enjoyed it, and while my teacher was really nice, I found her difficult to understand, and there was a different course offered in Philosophy that I quite liked the sound of (it was a toss up between that course and Japanese originally), so I decided to switch courses and enrol on the Philosophy course, intending to work on Japanese in my free time.

However, somehow (it still mystifies me just how they managed it), the University really screwed up. I gave in my request to change courses before the relevant deadline, but they somehow took me off the Japanese course without enrolling me on the Philosophy course. I didn't realise this had happened until far, far later in the year, when I checked my exam timetable and saw my Philosophy course wasn't present. There was no indication throughout the year that I wasn't actually on this course, since the only assessment was a final exam, and I had turned up to lectures and seminars without anyone blinking an eyelid. I asked what the hell had happened, but they told me that, since I had never officially enrolled on the Philosophy course (due, of course, to their mistake), all they could do was re-enrol me on Japanese - even though I had quit months ago. I couldn't really believe what had happened, but since it was only first year I just sighed and moved on. I suspect they didn't really give a shit considering that I was a first year student, and the marks in first year don't count towards your final degree.

Long story short - I failed Japanese, badly. I had three weeks to prepare for the final exam, which only counted towards 30% of the module grade (all the other assessments had already taken place). It was effectively impossible for me to pass, so I just threw in the towel and only studied for my other courses. I ended up with a final grade of '9' (out of 100). I was annoyed, but I didn't care that much, considering you can fail one module in your first year without any repercussions. That is, of course, until I found out earlier this year (I'm now in my final year) that JET wants an academic transcript as part of the application. You can imagine my frustration (though I probably should have expected it). I picked it up last week and it's pretty laughable seeing that awful disaster of a grade next to my other marks (which are generally very good, mostly firsts).

So, my question is - am I screwed? I read that, at first, your application is screened for any black marks (incomplete application, problematic medical record, missing courses, too late of a graduation), and it's only if it passes that initial screening is the application actually read. Is my application going to get binned before it's even assessed, because I failed that first year Japanese course? It's upsetting, because I feel as if I have a fairly strong application otherwise and would stand a decent chance.

I've written a short note in the 'any formal Japanese language qualifications' application box explaining that the mark on my transcript is due to circumstances far beyond my control and is not representative of reality. Do you think I should leave it at that, or do you think I should explain the whole ordeal on the application? Should I bring it up at a different part of the application (say, for example, on the personal statement - or even attach a note to the transcript), or stick with where I have done so currently? Or should I just take my chances and not offer any explanation whatsoever, so I can minimise any attention around the issue?

Any help is seriously appreciated. Thank you everyone!

TL;DR: Due to circumstances out of my control, I badly failed a beginners Japanese language course in my first year of University, which is clearly evident from my transcript. Am I screwed?
    Last edited by Lorenzo; November 22nd, 2014 at 11:15.

Default Re: Application question - do you think I will be automatically disqualified?

You're worrying too much.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Default Re: Application question - do you think I will be automatically disqualified?

In this instance I think a 9% (which is hilarious, by the way) is better than a mark that is closer to a pass. Surely a 9% shows that something awful occurred. Just be prepared to answer questions about it if they come up. Personally, I doubt this will be a deathblow to your application. You are probably getting worked up over nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    They're gonna burn you inside a giant wicker anpanman.

Really? Sweet. That's pretty relieving. Thanks guys.

Yeah, it was kinda funny when I got my first year results back and we saw the nine. My housemate was so proud he actually cut out the result and had it stuck on his wall for a couple years, but I ended up telling him to take it down this year since every time I'd walk into his room I'd get a feeling of impending doom.

Banned

I wouldn't address in the personal statement. The note on the application should serve well enough, and you should expect to be asked about it during the interview. I do think it will probably cost you a point or two in the application process, though I agree you shouldn't worry about it too much. After all, there's no changing it now.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Is that all? I took 5 years to finish a four year program, BARELY got my Japanese minor (thank you japanese history prof), had a few spectacularly low grades.... hell took my first year japanese class again 4 years later.

Look at me now!?! A 4 year JET goin on 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah, that bad mark alone won't hurt you.

Thanks guys! Can't tell you how relieved (and more positive) that's made me. I think I just thought that since they get so many applications, they might see it and think 'eh, we'll just pass on this one.'

There's no way a single bad grade is going to disqualify you. We don't even have a minimum GPA requirement (at least not in the US, and I'd be willing to guess no other place does either). The grading system is very systematic and mostly objective so as to give everyone a fair shot. The only time that your bad grade in Japanese may come up is if your interviewers look at your application and decide to ask you about it, at which case you could (briefly!) mention what happened and then put a positive spin on it ("...but I'm looking forward to renewing that interest in learning Japanese on the JET Program.").

Honestly, my first year of University was TERRIBLE. I got sick a lot, lived outside of town and had no friends, and thus fell into a really bad depression. As a result, I finished my first year passing only 6 of 10 courses, and with a GPA of like 1.5.... last year I made it on the alternate list, and they didn't even ask me about my crappy first year. Granted, I've held an average 3.0 or higher GPA each term since so they probably assumed it was just a crappy year. So, if failing 4 courses my first year didn't really affect me, I don't think failing one course (with a legitimate reason as to the mess up) will screw with your application at all. Be ready to answer question about it though, but then again it might not even come up. Depends on who is interviewing you I guess.

Don't think the UK system even has a GPA concept. It just asks for a minimum of ~, which you would have needed to get into University in the first place.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Yeah, I don't even know what GPA is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Yeah, I don't even know what GPA is.
    Grade Point Average.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Ah, ok. I didn't know what that was either, but I just googled it. Your system is fairly different to ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorenzo View Post
    Ah, ok. I didn't know what that was either, but I just googled it. Your system is fairly different to ours.
    I'm a Brit.

Oh snap.
    mothy 6.1.12

Ice cold.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Long Island Iced Tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Long Island Iced Tea.
    Yeah I don't even know what that is.

O.O
    mothy 6.1.12