Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Elem. School Books Next Year?

Default New Elem. School Books Next Year?

I've heard rumblings that Hi Friends! is out and new books are in starting next year.. not that it really matters since I'm sure it will be 99% the same, but does anyone have any info?
    The stuff JET wants you to know, but can't actually tell you.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Default Re: New Elem. School Books Next Year?

MEXT is changing ES and JHS English standards, so it follows that they'll introduce new books for the new standards. As an ALT, you'll find out on April 3 in most likely hood.

The changes, if you haven't seen them: PDF

Just to warn you, the "new" textbooks may not actually reflect new MEXT standards whatsoever and may end up being worse than what you had before. That's what happened in high schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Just to warn you, the "new" textbooks may not actually reflect new MEXT standards whatsoever and may end up being worse than what you had before. That's what happened in high schools.
    Heh... They might be a true reflection of MEXT standards - backwards and illegible to anyone but da Vinci...

Yeah I know about the changes, but from that paper you sent webstaa they just started working on really nailing down the curriculum for those changes in January of this year. I would imagine the next book, which I know they started work on in 2013, will be sort of a bridge with 2018 being the release of the real deal. Of course I'm 1000% guessing.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Actually I didn't realise the ES books are made by MEXT rather than by some company? I guess they might be ok then.

Yeah. It's not an outside company. That's why we get lesson targets like What would you like? and What do you want? in the same book for the same grade. They have to hit all the grammar points they planned to in the curriculum.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Didn't we talk about this when Hi Friends came out in the first place? I thought Hi Friends was actually made by MEXT--and that they had basically just ripped their content straight from Eigo Noto, dumbed it down a little, revamped the artwork, and told the publisher to suck their balls?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    Yeah. It's not an outside company. That's why we get lesson targets like What would you like? and What do you want? in the same book for the same grade. They have to hit all the grammar points they planned to in the curriculum.
    What's bad about a textbook hitting government curriculum targets?

At least you don't have a textbook regurgitated by a company who didn't make the slightest effort to follow curriculum guidelines and (I can only assume) were forced upon schools through kickbacks.

What's bad about a textbook hitting government curriculum targets?

At least you don't have a textbook regurgitated by a company who didn't make the slightest effort to follow curriculum guidelines and (I can only assume) were forced upon schools through kickbacks.
    Are you talking about New Horizions here?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Why would an ALT insider need to ask ITIL about this?
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Are you talking about New Horizions here?
    His description matches 90% of the textbooks available.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Unless you are in a school that is in the pilot system you wont see a new textbook until 2018. Didn't we go over all this a year ago?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

@Ini
    I just heard something else from a head office dude, but I hope your right.

@sharpinfang
    No, Hi Friends 1 and 2, the almost nationwide used Elem. Books.

@mothy
    Every Insider has sources

@Jiggit
    Nice Avatar
    www.ALTInsider.com

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Actually I didn't realise the ES books are made by MEXT rather than by some company? I guess they might be ok then.
    nope, they are shit. Think about it this way, if MEXT can't even come up with a clear and structured guideline, do you think they can make a book?

I've got a copy of Eigonoto, and Hi friends is about 10 times worse than that piece of shit. Honestly... get your hands on the textbook from a ALT in Ele, it's quite terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    @Jiggit
    Nice Avatar
    Is the gif working then? Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    nope, they are shit. Think about it this way, if MEXT can't even come up with a clear and structured guideline, do you think they can make a book?

I've got a copy of Eigonoto, and Hi friends is about 10 times worse than that piece of shit. Honestly... get your hands on the textbook from a ALT in Ele, it's quite terrible.
    I'd rather have shit that was standardized than shit that was completely random and confused. It's like I always (want to) say; if you must do this damn silly thing, don't do it this damn silly way.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

I'd rather have shit that was standardized than shit that was completely random and confused. It's like I always (want to) say; if you must do this damn silly thing, don't do it this damn silly way.
    in theory yea.
    but if the standardized shit, is A) shit and B) wrong.
    it isn't helping is it?

also, the book is random and confused. It is standardized... I guess that is only good thing about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Uhh jhs is way more specified than shs and I would expect that would transfer down to es when they do it. Honestly look at the design docs online, jhs has specific outcomes and goals (though still very wishy washy on the vocabulary) shs says "have students use English" essentially.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.