Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General tips?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default General tips?

I am currently learning Japanese through my uni despite not being in Japan yet so I would like some tips on how to improve.

Default Re: General tips?

Practice, Practice, Practice.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Yeah I'm sure that he never thought of that.
    He never asked for specific advice.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Form a study group, get a pen pal. Use www.lang-8.com, natives fix your sentences and you can usually get a language partner as well. There's a bunch of Japanese people willing to Skype there.

Use repetition software such as Aniki to memorize vocabulary.

Let's see what else... Depending on your skill level, you can probably read either children's books or news sites.

I remember there being a website for reading according to level, but can't quite remember its name.

make sure its japanese you are learning, too darn easy to spend 15 years on it only to discover you were learning korean by mistake.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    make sure its japanese you are learning, too darn easy to spend 15 years on it only to discover you were learning korean by mistake.
    Well the guy who runs the lessons is a native so I damn hope he speaks Japanese.
    Last edited by haitch40; December 4th, 2014 at 11:52.

Quote Originally Posted by haitch40 View Post
    Well the guy who runs the lessons is a native so I damn hope he speaks Japanese.
    ::Link is broken::
    ...because Japan.

Cut out English from your life as much as you can. Drown in Japanese. It will be tough at first but its honestly the fastest way. It still will take years though, no matter what some websites say. I pm'ed you a link to get you started. Good luuck. And seriously make sure your learning Japanese and not Korean, I've seen that create broken homes and orphaned seals.
    The stuff JET wants you to know, but can't actually tell you.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    Cut out English from your life as much as you can. Drown in Japanese. It will be tough at first but its honestly the fastest way. It still will take years though, no matter what some websites say. I pm'ed you a link to get you started. Good luuck. And seriously make sure your learning Japanese and not Korean, I've seen that create broken homes and orphaned seals.
    I can't cut out English yet. I live in England.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

It'll take me you years but I know two people who got n1 level (with convo) after two years of study and practice here in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I know AROUND you is English but you can change that environment. Here's some quick ways:

Going outside of your house? Put on headphones with Japanese songs, podcasts, or movies playing. I had Battle Royale on my phone constantly for a long time.
    Inside your house? Change your OS to Japanese, ALWAYS have a Japanese show/anime/movie on your computer/TV, put up a Kanji poster.
    Are you a student? write as many of your notes in Japanese as you can, even if its just the headings or chapter title or whatever. In between classes, you didn't forget your headphones right?

It's all about how bad, and how fast you want to get used to Japanese. The more you do, the faster it is.
    www.ALTInsider.com

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    I know AROUND you is English but you can change that environment. Here's some quick ways:

Going outside of your house? Put on headphones with Japanese songs, podcasts, or movies playing. I had Battle Royale on my phone constantly for a long time.
    Inside your house? Change your OS to Japanese, ALWAYS have a Japanese show/anime/movie on your computer/TV, put up a Kanji poster.
    Are you a student? write as many of your notes in Japanese as you can, even if its just the headings or chapter title or whatever. In between classes, you didn't forget your headphones right?

It's all about how bad, and how fast you want to get used to Japanese. The more you do, the faster it is.
    Ok that sounds good.

Got the music down as I became a TMR fan over the summer.
    Kanji I need to learn for my exam in January anyway.
    I could try to write notes in Japanese but I doubt I can do much at this stage. I can't really write about political or international theory in a language I am still learning the basics of.
    Same with OS. I do have the Japanese language installed so I sometimes type it but I think it will be hard to find my way around the computer at this stage. Maybe when I have studied a little more.

Yeah I'm sure that he never thought of that.
    I didn't the first half of last year. I was lazy with my studying and went into an exam not even knowing half the kana. That taught me swiftly how much of an idiot I was for not studying.
    Last edited by haitch40; December 4th, 2014 at 21:19.

As for the notes, just your name and subject is fine. Of course you can't write the tough stuff YET. You will one day though.
    TMR is sweet, I like this song, not TMR but from the singer. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNE93dieQF4)
    For the OS, that's fine to wait, but waiting till your ready for everything will make you never be ready so be careful.

Sounds like your on the way though. Have fun!
    www.ALTInsider.com

Having an anime constantly playing on your computer and listening to "TMR" is a great tip. You'll have plenty of time to study once everyone has started avoiding you like the plague.....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Having an anime constantly playing on your computer and listening to "TMR" is a great tip. You'll have plenty of time to study once everyone has started avoiding you like the plague.....
    I know. I am trying to become the worlds ultimate fedora wearing neckbeard.

Lol. Fine. If AKB is what floats your boat AKB it is then.
    www.ALTInsider.com

There is no good Japanese music.

I would actually like someone to prove me wrong.
    I learned that music is purely down to individual taste by noticing the charts. The amount of shit here that actually sells.

Well we all know what opinions are like, but some stand outs for me in various genres...

Rock: One OK Rock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh9yZWeTmVM
    Chill: - Dragon Ash - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmEQHjM8Ivo
    Metal: Blood Stain Child - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjTXeJZM8wg
    Epic: Chrono Cross - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ595N9NZVg
    Feels - Ayumi Hamasaki - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ__n_uBwUQ

Maybe there is something there for you?
    www.ALTInsider.com