Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recontracting

Default Recontracting

It's the beginning of December, so I thought it would be a good time to ask; how common is it to not be given an offer to recontract?

I haven't heard a peep from anybody at my school yet, and I'm not sure if it's that the paperwork got lost or if I'm failing that spectacularly. It's almost December, and as far as I know, people were offered their forms as early as August.

Default Re: Recontracting

budgets for next year are still being drafted, wait until feb before you start panicking.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

It depends.

Sometimes you'll hear a mention earlier (usually in November) but they often won't ask you until February (when the actual paperwork is due). My old school always used to wait until the last day possible. I think that, as of this year, they may have pushed the deadline up a bit, so you'll probably hear something by January, I'm guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Okay, that's a relief.

Is being given the offer really that common? Almost everyone talks about it as if it's a definite, so I wasn't sure.

if your CO is sticking with the JET programme and you havent done anything spectacularly awful you should get recontracted.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    budgets for next year are still being drafted, wait until feb before you start panicking.
    Ahh but this year the "I'm recontracting please" forms are due jan 15. You should receive one soon, and feel free to ask your boe for it after the start of the new year.

Like ini said, it's a special type of fail to not get your first three years fucked up, but after that who knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm at work on time every day, stay late pretty often, and haven't been seriously unprepared for a class yet.

As far as serious fuck-ups go, I'd like to believe that I'm safe.

You're safe, but if you're so worried just ask your supervisor, they can usually get the scoop. When my prefecture was cutting alts like a teenage goth girl cuts her thigh I was always able to get the latest update from her.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

So far the only paperwork that's been sent out is the "Guidelines for Re-contracting" - which a lot a people got in early November. In my prefecture, we were warned that it should come around 6th or 7th of January at the latest. Which is par for the course.

I recently had a short 15 minute chat with my VP about my life in Japan so far and my plans for after the first year (which I think is a great indication that i didn't manage to blow it too badly). I will eventually have an "open class" evaluation some time in the next few weeks, however, My VP and P did come "observe" a 3rd year class of mine (i teach HS) about a month ago already. The paperwork to recontract is due in January, but I made it pretty clear that as long as the school deems me qualified for a 2nd year, i'd love to be back on board this crazy train.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

As far as actually reviews go, a lot of BoEs/Schools will have you write out a form with your goals for the next year, often including Japanese language ability, interactions with the kids, classroom activities, overall English integration etc. In my experience, (and my predecessor, since I have my pred's copies - they were left for me) they really are a formality only. The decision to allow re-contracting is up the BoE itself, and they come to see classes at most twice a year anyways.

Seeing as I'll be getting in on the 21st of January as an upgraded alternate, when do you suppose they might bring up the possibility of re-contracting?

Likely in June or July with an August contract start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Likely in June or July with an August contract start.
    You think so? I'd imagine in February, if not immediately upon arrival.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I'm pretty sure you're assumed to be recontracting if you show up that late. Especially as recontracting paperwork is due on the 15th
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    You think so? I'd imagine in February, if not immediately upon arrival.
    Its just a guess, tbh. Doesn't even seem feasible to ask someone fresh from the plane. May/June would still allow for an alternate to be snagged.

Of course, would someone that didn't recontract still get a flight home? Do we need a full year to get it?

Miami!
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Default Recontracting

July
    just realized I did that. Oops.

U da real mvp.

Its just a guess, tbh. Doesn't even seem feasible to ask someone fresh from the plane. May/June would still allow for an alternate to be snagged.

Of course, would someone that didn't recontract still get a flight home? Do we need a full year to get it?

Miami!

May/June is after the April arrivals, so it it probably would fall under to the new round of JETs...

Default Recontracting

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    May/June is after the April arrivals, so it it probably would fall under to the new round of JETs...
    Yes?

Time constraints would still mean the next alt would probably be an upgraded alternate from the new round.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; December 18th, 2014 at 08:58.

U da real mvp.

Yes?

Time constraints would still mean the next alt would probably be an upgraded alternate from the new round.
    Totally missed that you implied the new round... of course it'd be an alternate from the early departure folks... Sorry.