Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not going crazy, right?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I'm not going crazy, right?

The Vision Quest explanation of restrictive clause incorrectly tells students to use "which" instead of "that", right?

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...tive_modifiers

Is this correct?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Default Re: I'm not going crazy, right?

American prefers that but Japanese universities use the which set in tears because it requires you to memorize more rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    American prefers that but Japanese universities use the which set in tears because it requires you to memorize more rules.
    Is there an incorrect word in this sentence, or is that grammar jargon?

Jiggit, weren't we just talking about this the other day? My jte actually taught this yesterday according to the book, and I was afraid that I was going to have to play along and teach it incorrectly, but then all the examples she gave used 'that' instead of 'which', so maybe she listened to me after all.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Is there an incorrect word in this sentence, or is that grammar jargon?

Jiggit, weren't we just talking about this the other day? My jte actually taught this yesterday according to the book, and I was afraid that I was going to have to play along and teach it incorrectly, but then all the examples she gave used 'that' instead of 'which', so maybe she listened to me after all.
    No, my new ios 8 auto predict decided that in theirs needed to be changed into in tears, and I thought it was funny so I left it as is :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Why is my text book teaching 'food storage area' rather than pantry or larder?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Why is my text book teaching 'food storage area' rather than pantry or larder?
    Because 'Murica. He have cabinets - more specifically, the Hoosier cabinet replaced the need for a pantry. Pantry is rare - even architecturally they probably aren't in 8 out of 10 houses. Larders are hen's teeth. Most places have cellars instead.

Because a pantry is supposed to be a secondary room/area, and wtf is a larder?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    wtf is a larder?
    It's like lard, only more so.

larder

1.a room or place where food is kept; pantry.

2.a supply of food.

pantry

1.a room or closet in which food, groceries, and other provisions, or silverware, dishes, etc., are kept.

2.a room between the kitchen and dining room in which food is arranged for serving, glassware and dishes are stored, etc.

3.a shelter or other place where food is dispensed to the needy, either as groceries or as meals.

This
    And it is in reply to the New horizions,second grade, writing+2 section. I will try to upload a picture of the page later.
    Last edited by sharpinthefang; December 9th, 2014 at 13:10.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

One of my text books is trying to teach 'be born' as correct English, but something is pinging in my head that its wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    One of my text books is trying to teach 'be born' as correct English, but something is pinging in my head that its wrong...
    This seems to happen a lot. Did something "ping as wrong" when you took the JET grammar and spelling test too?

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

be born can be used. My son will be born on the 24th of december.
    for example, however it is such an odd thing to teach ESL students that I wouldn't be surprised they test for it a few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    for example, however it is such an odd thing to teach ESL students that I wouldn't be surprised they test for it a few years.
    But why teach only that variation? It does not teach any of the other ways that it can be used. And the sentence in the book says 'he was born blind' so it does not even use it in its own example section.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Could also use 'My son is due on the 24th of December', which would make more sense.

Be born is an odity in english, they will teach it over and over again.

They are trying to correct this sentence:
    I borned feburary 10th (which would work, except there is no present tense born, it's to bear and to give birth)

Frankly, if it wasn't part of the introduction stuff, I would totally skip I was born XX, and just teach "My birthday is XX"

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

"I am reborn!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Are you people that fucking stupid? If you are really questioning this then I give up......hire borderlink ALTs at 1man a month - thank you and good night.

In my day JETs at least had a base level of intelligence.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

And look who's back with their happy parade.

Another dumb question:

I like A more than B.

I like A better than B.

The teachers at my school are always saying the latter but I would always say the former. But I can't really explain why one would be more or less correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Another dumb question:

I like A more than B.

I like A better than B.

The teachers at my school are always saying the latter but I would always say the former. But I can't really explain why one would be more or less correct.
    I thought about it and I find ''better'' more suited to things that are measurably superior or at least more than a subjective opinion.

Girls are better than boy. We looked at both results and their grades are higher
    Diamond is better than quartz when making rings. It's harder to break, and shinier.

I believe stone is better than wood when making countertops. You know it to be easier to clean for example. There's reasons you're aware of before making this sentence.

I like stone more than wood. To me it's first a preference but you probably have reasons too.