Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm not going crazy, right?

Default Re: I'm not going crazy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Another dumb question:

I like A more than B.

I like A better than B.

The teachers at my school are always saying the latter but I would always say the former. But I can't really explain why one would be more or less correct.
    I thought about it and I find ''better'' more suited to things that are measurably superior or at least more than a subjective opinion.

Girls are better than boy. We looked at both results and their grades are higher
    Diamond is better than quartz when making rings. It's harder to break, and shinier.

I believe stone is better than wood when making countertops. You know it to be easier to clean for example. There's reasons you're aware of before making this sentence.

I like stone more than wood. To me it's first a preference but you probably have reasons too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    More is a bare comparator and better implies a qualitative comparison which can only be used with this like like.

I ate more food than jack
    I ate better food than jack

I drank more than jack
    I drank better than jack (replace drank with the word f*ck and the meaning REALLY comes clear)

The I like structure comes out with identical meaning, but drop the comparators into other structures and the meaning comes out.
    This was better than what I just said.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Gunj, you're conflating better the qualitative adjective vs better the comparator. Your examples are accurate, but the initial usage problem doesn't track (IE you can't say "Girls are more than boys" without assuming something after the more... more pretty, more X)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Gunj, you're conflating better the qualitative adjective vs better the comparator. Your examples are accurate, but the initial usage problem doesn't track (IE you can't say "Girls are more than boys" without assuming something after the more... more pretty, more X)
    Yeah,

I tried to fit what I thought in the ''I like'' structure and find a nuance while you pointed out that there wasn't one.

Your examples cleared that up for me .