Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Examples of successful classes

Default Re: Examples of successful classes

I have this sentence game that I use (one of my JTE'S calls it horse race, I refuse to call it that).
    Before class i cut up sentences and put them in envelopes. I make say around 20/30 (depending on the grade). Divide the class into the lunch groups. Once they have made the sentence and myself or the JTE says its correct, they all have to write it down before getting a new envelope.
    First group to complete all the sentences and written them all down wins. With both myself and my JTE checking for cheaters there is very little of it.
    Had one group come second finishing the envelopes, but due to the lazy kid they ended up coming last as he had not written any sentences down.
    LO? Sentence structure practice.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I have this sentence game that I use (one of my JTE'S calls it horse race, I refuse to call it that).
    Before class i cut up sentences and put them in envelopes. I make say around 20/30 (depending on the grade). Divide the class into the lunch groups. Once they have made the sentence and myself or the JTE says its correct, they all have to write it down before getting a new envelope.
    First group to complete all the sentences and written them all down wins. With both myself and my JTE checking for cheaters there is very little of it.
    Had one group come second finishing the envelopes, but due to the lazy kid they ended up coming last as he had not written any sentences down.
    LO? Sentence structure practice.
    Sentence reconstruction is something I haven't actually tried but that many other ALTs I know use it, in varying forms. I'll definitely give it a try! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Master of The Universe :D View Post
    Sentence reconstruction is something I haven't actually tried but that many other ALTs I know use it, in varying forms. I'll definitely give it a try! Thank you!
    Keep track of their progress on the board, i draw long lines which gets ticked off as they do each envelope, but I know some people do a tally board or write the number of the envelope next to that groups name/number.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by par92186 View Post
    MOTU, here are some of my warm-up/review games I use in all my lessons. Feel free to use any of them. Hopefully they can alleviate some of your stress. I typically always reward the winning team with candy.

Warm-Up/Review Games

1. Shititori: Word Quiz
    · Whole class game. Teacher writes a word on the board and students must come up one-at-a-time and use the last letter of the written word to start a new word underneath it.

2. Sentence Quiz
    · Whole class game. Teacher writes a sentence on the board and students must use the letters of the sentence to make a word

3. Castles
    · Group game. Students decide a team name and teacher draws a castle for each group on the board. Teacher asks a question and students raise their hands to answer. If they are correct, they can attack another castle or build up their castle.

4. Bingo
    · Individual game. Teacher makes grid paper for students. Students choose words to write in the blanks.

5. Boggle
    · Group activity. Students are given a piece of paper. Teacher draws a 3x3 grid on the board and asks for letters to fill-in the grid. Students have 2 minutes to write down as many words as they can. At the end have students read the words aloud to check.

6. Hot Seat
    · Group activity. A student from each group sits at the front of the class facing their friends. Teacher writes a word on the board and students must use English to give hints to the hot seat. Hot seat must raise hand and guess the answer.

7. Crossfire
    · Individual game. Ask the class to stand. Teacher asks a question and students raise their hand to answer. If they are correct they choose “across” or down” and that entire row of students sits. Loser is the last student standing.

8. Behind my back
    · Whole class activity. Choose a student to sit at the front of the classroom facing the chalkboard. Ask a classmate to read or make a sentence and the student at the front must guess who said it.

9. Bomber Man
    · Whole class activity. Have the class stand. Explain that you will ask a question. Have the students raise their hand and answer. If correct they become the bomber man and the student to their left, right, front, and back sit down. Last student standing is the loser.
    VARIATIONS:
    · For the second round, the bomb becomes bigger. When it explodes, the vertical and horizontal lines from where the "bomber" is located must all sit down.
    o Naname Bomb: Naname means 'diagonal'.
    o Jump Bomb: The student chooses a direction (left, right, front or back) and the bomb jumps the first student in that direction but the rest of the students in that line sits down.
    · Tampin Bomb: Tampin means 'only one'. Meaning, only that one student sits down. NOTE: I would suggest only allowing a certain number of these bombs otherwise the game could go the entire class time.

10. Categories
    · Group game. Students need scrap paper. Write a category on the board and in groups students have 1-2 mins to write as many words that fit that category. Have students read answers afterward to check.

11. Have you ever…
    · Whole class game. Students make a circle and one student starts in the middle. The middle student asks a person sitting down a “have you ever” question. If the student answers yes they change.
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I feel like many of these can be adjusted to be more grammar focussed.

For example, the "who said it" activity might be a fun supplement to a lesson about expressive reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of The Universe :D View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I feel like many of these can be adjusted to be more grammar focussed.

For example, the "who said it" activity might be a fun supplement to a lesson about expressive reading?
    Grammar was not the word I was looking for. And especially doesn't link well with my example.

You can go back and edit your posts as long as they have not been quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    aww does the little baby want a piece of candy too?
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Why? He lost the game. If you reward that kid, how does that make the second-to-last kid feel?
    Then change the given aim of the game to either "Survival" or 'Who can take out the most of their classmates?'

And FFS use signatures and/or stickers instead of candy. Hell, make it so that every kid who gets taken out has to sign their 'bomber's' scoresheet.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; December 12th, 2014 at 20:25.

I'm sure your students appreciate being treated like this.

Banned

Stickers/candy/sex toys/stock in Apple - the crutch of the insecure teacher who isn't confident they can engage their students. Think back to your math classes in school, did the teacher pleasure you with oral sex everytime you solved a quadratic equation?

One of my most successful SHS lessons was magic tricks. They had a chapter in their book about magic, so I taught them some vocab and expressions used in simple magic shows, and had them learn a magic trick and present it to the class in English. This took three lessons: one to teach vocab and expressions and show an example, one to write and edit their own rough drafts, and one to present. I have a really small class, so it probably wouldn't work well in very large ones. But, the kids seemed to like it since most of their speeches are about global issues and the environment and other kind of heavy subjects.

My JHS kids went freaking nuts for restaurant role-plays, both fast food and sit down. One class just started doing the role play without any explanation once I put them into groups and passed out menus. One group even figured out how to complain to the manager about the food taking too long. Again, really small class. I think it went well since it seemed like something that might actually be useful in the future. I didn't even use any realia in those lessons, but I think it'd be a good idea to include some in less-motivated classes.

I generally don't do warm-ups unless it's something to link to the rest of the lesson. I do sometimes have full, or almost full, lesson games, but only for reviews right before tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Stickers/candy/sex toys/stock in Apple - the crutch of the insecure teacher who isn't confident they can engage their students. Think back to your math classes in school, did the teacher pleasure you with oral sex everytime you solved a quadratic equation?
    No, thank heavens...there was a science teacher I imagine might have motivated me to study harder (drum roll) if she had though.

For my part, my own students very rarely get stickers (Christmas classes and for my 5th grade kids after doing the common/proper/abstract/uncountable/definite noun classes/test activity), and even signatures are a "the Jr high JTE has pimped me out" kind of deal.

I suggest stickers over candy since stickers are less likely to set off student allergiesd than foodstuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    One of my most successful SHS lessons was magic tricks. They had a chapter in their book about magic, so I taught them some vocab and expressions used in simple magic shows, and had them learn a magic trick and present it to the class in English. This took three lessons: one to teach vocab and expressions and show an example, one to write and edit their own rough drafts, and one to present. I have a really small class, so it probably wouldn't work well in very large ones. But, the kids seemed to like it since most of their speeches are about global issues and the environment and other kind of heavy subjects.
    This kind of raises the question of "how do you measure the success of a lesson"? I think a lot of ALTs measure their success by how happy and engaged the students are... which isn't a bad thing of course but is kind of besides the point of a class. A lot of JTEs measure the success of a lesson by whether they can think of something to fill the entire period that they can say has "covered" the textbook/syllabus material.

Neither of those is really how lessons should be taught. I can understand if you're at a low level school or some school you visit once a month that you might just want to have fun. But otherwise you should really be setting lesson goals or establishing lesson goals with the JTE. What do you want to achieve? What do you want the students to be able to do that they couldn't before? What material do you want them to learn, use or review? How do your activities facilitate that? Unless you know what your goals are you really can't measure the success of your classes because you don't know whether you've achieved what you intended.

A lot of the time how much your students "like" your lessons depends on your JTE and the attitude of that class anyway.

I think coop probably knows all this but for others reading her post it isn't as simple as "omg magic tricks amazing" or "my students don't have the English level to do a restaurant roleplay", it's about setting appropriate lesson goals for your classes and measuring whether you achieve them. While obviously if your students are disengaged the lesson has failed regardless, how much your students enjoy the lesson should be a secondary consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    how much your students enjoy the lesson should be a secondary consideration.
    "No! We have to get them to love English! That's why we're here!"
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    "No! We have to get them to love English! That's why we're here!"
    Those poor fools. Let's see how their precious babies' love for English survives high school.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

stickers and prizes can be fine, if used sparingly. There are some classes that wouldn't work for me if i didn't have them. These kids have no motivation, and have learned that the stick doesn't work... so i have to go with the carrot.

If I had, you know... authoritah to do anything, it would be different.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    stickers and prizes can be fine, if used sparingly. There are some classes that wouldn't work for me if i didn't have them.
    Worst ALT evar.

Seriously though, I'll give kids prizes if I'm doing some kind of one-off funz lessons. The idea of doing quizzes and games every week and shelling out stickers and candy for them sounds ridiculous but I'm aware some ALTs basically do that.

Again it comes down to whether you want to do a lesson properly or whether you want to the students to have fun and like you. I really dislike the attitude (and it's an attitude that Japanese students have as well as ALTs) that you have to give them some special motivation or reason to study English. They don't get a sweetie for answering a question in their science class, why should they get it for English? Oh you don't think English is important for your future, Tanaka-kun? Well I don't think you'll need Social Studies or Biology when you're working at the conbini because you failed the test to get into college, will you?

It's ok for your students to not care about English. They still have to take a test in it. It's not your job to make them care about English but it is your job to try and teach them.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Worst ALT evar.

Seriously though, I'll give kids prizes if I'm doing some kind of one-off funz lessons. The idea of doing quizzes and games every week and shelling out stickers and candy for them sounds ridiculous but I'm aware some ALTs basically do that.
    I agree. And I don't recommend people do this. especially in HS, JHS is iffy because it depends on the JTE and how the JTE tries to integrate the ALT into the lessons, and even then I personally don't think an ALT should be a mascot of English, or a tape recorder either... but it happens and if the ALT is made into that roll by the Schools staff than it is better to just go with it, than fight it. we all know how the system works by now, you can't win...

Again it comes down to whether you want to do a lesson properly or whether you want to the students to have fun and like you. I really dislike the attitude (and it's an attitude that Japanese students have as well as ALTs) that you have to give them some special motivation or reason to study English. They don't get a sweetie for answering a question in their science class, why should they get it for English? Oh you don't think English is important for your future, Tanaka-kun? Well I don't think you'll need Social Studies or Biology when you're working at the conbini because you failed the test to get into college, will you?

It's ok for your students to not care about English. They still have to take a test in it. It's not your job to make them care about English but it is your job to try and teach them.
    Again, we are talking about two very different academic levels, with different goals in mind. If i were in HS, I'd be against it.

Elementary lessons, in a subject that isn't even deemed a subject by most standards (remember it is a 活動), with one shot lessons that can range between once a week to once a month is what I am talking about. Add on to that the inability to discipline, or enact an actual functional curriculum (I don't care what ini or anyone above says, the current English 'curriculum' isn't a curriculum other than a bunch of monkeys throwing "English" on a wall and hoping it sticks. In this environment there is little option unless the students are already motivated and want to learn English.

with that said and done, a few classes or an incentive rewards system can be done properly for English in an academic setting, and some other subjects do it as well. It depends on the students, the school and more importantly what the "goals" are.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I mean really I have two definitions of successful classes,

in HS it's "Did we accomplish the learning objective?"

in Spec-Ed it's "Did I manage to leave the class without punching out a retard?"

Somehow I'm winning at both, but I'm not sure for how much longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.