Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Borderlink?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: Borderlink?

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Or maybe his borderlink stuff will turn out fine. Stay positive, people! ☺
    That is true. People told me I'd hate JET, I'd hate Japan, I'd hate Hokkaido... wrong on all counts.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    That is true. People told me I'd hate JET, I'd hate Japan, I'd hate Hokkaido... wrong on all counts.
    Hello!

I'm currently waiting to hear whether or not I've been selected for an interview. My top choice is Hokkaido for a couple of reasons. Were you hoping for a northern placement or was it a surprise? How easy is it to buy appropriate snowy footwear?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Hello!

I'm currently waiting to hear whether or not I've been selected for an interview. My top choice is Hokkaido for a couple of reasons. Were you hoping for a northern placement or was it a surprise? How easy is it to buy appropriate snowy footwear?
    Did you apply for Borderlink?
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Did you apply for Borderlink?
    Oops, no! Sorry! For JET.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    Oops, no! Sorry! For JET.
    Thats fine, before much longer a placement request thread will come up in applying where we can all discuss placements etc.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Banned

Or maybe his borderlink stuff will turn out fine. Stay positive, people! ☺
    Thanks! I came here to ask if anyone else was applying through borderlink, not be heckled!!

Sorry if it came across that way. It was not intended to be.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King Creamsoda View Post
    Thanks! I came here to ask if anyone else was applying through borderlink, not be heckled!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Sorry if it came across that way. It was not intended to be.
    What she said - it was heckling from a kind place though, I'm thinking. The more information you have the better prepared you are!
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Banned

It's ok, I'm working on developing a thicker skin. It seems like a necessary requirement to post here!!!

It's ok, I'm working on developing a thicker skin. It seems like a necessary requirement to post here!!!
    For working in Japan, too!
    ...because Japan.

I've been told by many friends abroad in Japan that getting your feet on the ground over there with a valid work visa is step 1. Of course you don't want to apply to a company that's going to screw you, but if you don't like what you see when you get there, there are WAY more employment options over there than applying from abroad.

JET is a wonderful program with awesome perks, but you shouldn't force yourself to reapply every year if that's not what you want to do. I needed an answer fast cause I need to move in April, I didn't want to move my family to the inaka cause my husband wanted access to a Japanese language school and to other part time work, and I'd rather have vacation time than higher pay any day. So JET was not the right choice for me. I applied to dispatch companies instead. I've heard the JET process is long and hard, and I'm sure it's worth it to many of the applicants, but it's not always the option for everyone. You should try to get some experience tutoring or working with kids if you don't have it. Although teaching is just the avenue most people take for the opportunity to move to Japan, the fact is that you will still have to teach. Every day. So make sure you prepare so that you're comfortable doing it, and that you have something that shows your dedication on your resume.

I'm not endorsing Borderlink, but most of the completely shady stuff I've read about them was posted years ago. All the dispatch companies are just that, companies. They are focused on making as much money as possible. You'll find an array of annoyances from health insurance to overpriced apartments, to reduced pay in certain months. You have to decide what you can live with and then go for whatever is the best fit for you. Just make sure to do your research first, so you know what you're getting into.
    Took the road less traveled. . .now I don't know where the hell I am.

Mostly I agree with rinsingpromasses. If you're planning on sticking around awhile come however you can and then move on when you get the chance. But if you're thinking one or two years, a sugary company like borderlink probably wouldn't be worth it, unless your situation in your home country is a caramel frappucino. But then maybe you should be taking a hard look at what you're doing with your life.
    Last edited by Jiggit; January 1st, 2015 at 19:12.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Mostly I agree with rinsingpromasses.
    This is your best one so far.

I just need to break out of the rut I've fallen into and want to experience living in Japan for a few years. JET and Interac were looking for people with years of teaching experience as far as I could tell. I'm not looking to become a full time teacher or anything so Borderlink seemed better than wasting time doing a TEFL or whatever.
    Did you make it to Japan? This is late, but I worked with Borderlink a few years ago.

You don't need a TEFL certificate. A cheap online one is only worth it if the company you work for pays more for experience.
    Interac sucks - even if you have experience, your base pay is 230,000 a month. The -250,000 is a lie, just a reimbursement for leasing a car from them. (Because they only place in rural areas which almost always require driving.)

Borderlink does pay more for experience (but their salary range is 210,000-230,000), they only place in the Kanto region and nearby (expanding) and they are actually more organized now than when I worked for them. (I interviewed with them a couple months ago as a backup.) Yes, Borderlink is a typical recruiter/dispatch company, and they all operate like temporary agencies, taking about a third of the salary paid by the Board of Education. They help you transition and find a job overseas, so they think that's okay, but ALTs think they are ripping us off. It's a business, and they do well. The salary for ALTs has not gone up for at least 30 years. It's an easy job with a high status, better than being underemployed in the US, I think.

All that to say, I LOVED my experience assistant teaching at a junior high school, and Borderlink a big factor. The school(s) you end up working at and your attitude are way more important factors than the sneaky dispatch companies.
    Good luck!