Thread: Self study-ers, what motivates you to study Japanese?

Default Self study-ers, what motivates you to study Japanese?

What is your reason to keep going? I've mainly seen working in Japan or having a Japanese boyfriend/girlfriend as reasons, but I wondered what motivates J-students besides that, especially if you haven't ended up in Japan yet.

I personally graduated from college, moved home to a town with very few J-speakers, and struggled to find reasons to keep up my studies. I signed up for the JLPT (N3) in December to give me something to shoot for, and it (kinda) helped.

So what drives you to pick up that book/listen to that audio/do SRS kanji reps?

Default Re: Self study-ers, what motivates you to study Japanese?

The fear of having something go wrong and none of your Japanese speaking friends about to help.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Fear, life's greatest motivator?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I honestly think even some of the studiers who are over here have no idea why they are studying either. Working in Japan is the vague motivator, but it doesn't seem to help people target their studies. Neither does the J-Girl friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I just don't want to lose my Japanese. I stopped studying for a couple of years and lost a lot of my kanji, so now I'm back on the wagon, haha. I use it to read and watch videos/movies/tv shows.
    Eventually, I want to do translation.

My child rebelling by choosing not to speak english.
    mothy 6.1.12
    Nothin' but love for y'all.

RIP Japanistan. Nevar forget.
    RIP Wasabibot. Nevar forget.
    RIP The dream. Nevar forget.

The realization that you're kind of wasting your time if you don't and the only reason so many ALTs suck so bad is that they live inside a bubble of expat friends and Netflix and might as well have stayed at home?

People who have Japanese partners that don't speak English learn Japanese pretty quick tbh.

I agree with the partners thing. I mean, I was more of a brunette kind of guy (are Japanese girls considered brunettes? someone help me with my stereotyping please). But since getting here, and especially after visiting Osaka, I realized that most of the cute girls here(hell, most girls period) don't speak English because it is not the primary language. As such, I feel the need to learn the language to flirt with girls . That and I'm in Japan and want to be able to ask for my McDonalds burgers without mayonnaise, of course....

But in all seriousness, there is not real way to pinpoint why I am continuing to study, as I will be leaving at the end of this JET term. I guess I'm just studying because I'm in Japan now and that's the language I need to speak in order to get even basic life tasks done. I will probably not use it when I go back to the states, but I just like being able to know I could use it if I wanted to.

I even started a New Years resolution of learning 25 new words a day. It's one hell of a challenge and I'll probably collapse once Anki starts giving me ~300 review words a day that I forgot (hopefully this isn't the case!)
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

My Japanese has reached a comfortable level, but I know that for me to get to the next require some serious study. It's just finding the will power to do that.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Coworkers walking past my desk and praising me for how erai I am.

Mothy has children?
    I came here to laugh at you.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Mothy has children?
    He's a man with great bear arms.

What makes you think he hasn't spread his love?

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post

What makes you think he hasn't spread his love?
    that explains the stains on his sofa.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasabi View Post
    Mothy has children?
    Only until the police gather sufficient evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    that explains the stains on his sofa.
    Not just the sofa. I've ruined more rugs than my dog.

It's really satisfying when you think back to something you couldn't accomplish in Japanese before that you can do now. I try to keep that in mind whenever I hit a slump or plateau and it feels like I'm going nowhere. It's harder to sense progress when you're no longer improving by leaps and bounds as a beginner.

For a while I was studying to take the JLPT but I keep putting it off so I haven't touched my textbooks in a while. Lately I just find the smaller gaps in my Japanese knowledge and try to fill them as I come across them. Some day I want to resume studying the more academic grammar that I don't actually have a daily need to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    It's really satisfying when you think back to something you couldn't accomplish in Japanese before that you can do now. I try to keep that in mind whenever I hit a slump or plateau and it feels like I'm going nowhere. It's harder to sense progress when you're no longer improving by leaps and bounds as a beginner.
    This! But even just making small progress really motivates me. Like if I learn a new word one day and then hear it like 3 times the same day, or see some random kanji and somehow my brain just knows what it means. Also my friend is getting really good at Japanese and he started learning later than me, so I don't want him to be better than me...