Thread: Linkback email spam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Linkback email spam

People (myself included) were getting spammed with emails reporting that a new linkback had been created in a thread they had participated in.

I have disabled this feature until I figure out what is causing linkbacks to be created for sites that don't even exist any more (e.g. bigdaikon).
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Default Re: Linkback email spam

Update: This appears to be related to a critical vulnerability in VBSeo that was found a few days ago. Even with the fix in place, it appears the only solution is to remove VBSeo completely. It is no longer supported and vulnerabilities are being found with no proper fixes being developed.

What does this mean to you? Well, the friendly URLs like /forum/JET will now become the default of /showforum.php?f=13 or similar.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Update 2: An alternative has been enabled. As this is a MAJOR change to how the forum works, I do expect things will be broken (ie. page not found etc).

Please let me know if you see anything like this.

Major page 404 issues.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Post the URLs

mrcharisma - Aspiring and Applying
    Last edited by Frap; March 6th, 2017 at 13:49.

Goddammit, I just got another linkback email. The script is totally disabled so this is a pain in the backside.

Edit: OK, the script has been totally deleted now. unless emails are queued, that should be the end of it.
    Last edited by Beer Baron; January 12th, 2015 at 20:53.

Bingo. Balls.

ahfeck.PNG

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Jesus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Down to 839 now. All genuine thread post alerts. It'll take a while for them to send out.

Capture.PNG