Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paypal and Sending money

Default Re: Paypal and Sending money

I messed around with bitcoin a bit, got lucky and pulled all my $ off of Mt.Gox a few months before they went down, haven't really messed around with it since. Still, I think it had potential as a means of international transfer. I hadn't seen Circle; hafta look into that. I also have a Coinbase account but don't really use it. If that gets around the transfer fees, I could totally go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

The the only problem with bitcoin is that you can't trust anybody not to run away with it. Account compromised on Coinbase? You won't see that money again. (Even if you have 2FA.) Luckily, dodging shitty bank international bank fees is pretty much the only thing its good for (at least legally.) And you still have the same limits and reporting requirements (like transfer $9k from a bitcoin company to a major US bank? Don't be surprised when they close your account.)

Well if I was to use bitcoin, I wouldn't be holding it, I would simply buy it in JPY and immediately convert to CDN or USD. And circumventing international bank transfer fees is pretty much the entire reason I would use bitcoin.

So...not a bad idea? Next time I send money home I'll give it a shot and report back on my findings.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

far be it from me to cast dispersions on your character but when someone is trying to raise money on indiegogo to "make a film" and at the same time is asking about using bitcoin to transfer money my spidersense starts tingling.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    far be it from me to cast dispersions on your character but when someone is trying to raise money on indiegogo to "make a film" and at the same time is asking about using bitcoin to transfer money my spidersense starts tingling.
    Haha I'm editing at starbucks right now. Thanks for checking it out, though not so much thanks for the jab at my character >_>.

Anyway bitcoin sounds sketchy in general cuz of the Mt. Gox fiasco and silk road but I don't think there's anything inherently bad about cryptocurrencies.

Then again I still barely know what I'm talking about with re:bitcoin and still really need to do more research..I listened to this podcast which is what gave me the idea to use bitcoin instead of GoRemit or the post office like everyone uses. Interesting stuff.

Disclaimer: Rogan

Yeah ignore the peopld who have been here awhile. You must be doing everything right.

?

Yeah I've been using GoRemit since it was GoLloyds for the past 5 years like most people seem to be. Just because one particular way was the best in the past doesn't mean it will always be.

I'm not even saying Bitcoin is that new hotness but why not encourage a discussion instead of perpetuating a circle jerk.

The big problem is your personal data - if you have to register with exchanges like Mt. Gox or Coinbase - including sending personal information like passport scans etc - and they can't keep their goddamn servers protected, you're opening yourself up for major trouble. And just about every bitcoin exchange has had huge issues with poor security backends. It's understandable if you don't use 2FA and your password is 123456abcd - that's on you. But at least if Target gets hacked, they're forced to compensate. With cryptocurrencies, you have no assurances - partially by design (crypto-anarchists and crypto-libertarians.)

Disclamer: I was active in bitcoin from pretty early - including mining. I've also mined litecoin, dogecoin and a number of smaller altcoins. I've made and lost money - the biggest thing to remember is caveat emptor.