Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No families?

Default No families?

Hello all! Im a former JET 2006. My husband applied and got an interview this year. I've been looking all over for families applying for the program, but most applicants seem to be fresh about to be college graduates or young couples.

We will be going as a family with our daughter who will be 1. Is there anyone going with children? Or are we the only family?

BTW I wish everyone the best during this stressful time. Prepping for interviews can be so stressful. And then the wait after is gut wrenching hell. 頑張れ!
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

Default Re: No families?

We've got more than a few couples here on the board, and a couple of folks have kids (our resident bad dad is currently banned, but he'll be back).

While we'd love to have you stick around here and keep us company, and though I certainly think we've got a lot of advice and support to offer a young family, if you're really looking for a family-oriented group of JETs, there's one on Facebook that is probably right up your alley. As most JET groups, there is no doubt some overlap, anyway...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/jetcouplesandfamilies/
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ah, thanks! That is super helpful! My husband won't make an account on here and mine happened to still be available from eons ago. I'll vent for him.
    la...la

I remember you all like you were my children. ebochan was from the golden age of ITIL - before the dark times.

ebochan? ebochan....ebochan.....

Chunky black girl with the low cut tops? Theres a blast from the past.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

ebochan? ebochan....ebochan.....

Chunky black girl with the low cut tops? Theres a blast from the past.
    Can't tell if kidding or not...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Hahaha. Omg. That's me. The boobs got bigger since I had the kid. Wow. Didn't think anyone on here would remember me....
    la...la

Will only one of you be working? 'cuz this new payscale will kick you in the teeth with a kid.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Christing hell, Ini.

And I guess welcome back Ebochan, though you are from well before my time.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Only one he is applying to JET and then I will find work once there. I figured I can give lessons to the obaachans and okusans. Amd there are some jobs which require residence. What is the new pay scale?
    la...la

Quote Originally Posted by ebochan View Post
    Only one he is applying to JET and then I will find work once there. I figured I can give lessons to the obaachans and okusans. Amd there are some jobs which require residence. What is the new pay scale?
    Lower. I think, what, 280,000y a month for new starters?

His take home each month will be around 230,000, give or take. You'll get a small stipend for the rugrat. (That will vary by prefecture.) You might be able to get conversation work in your area, you might not. The inaka is a lot emptier than it was when I arrived, let alone when you left.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Lower. I think, what, 280,000y a month for new starters?
    minus tax.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    minus tax.
    Yep, very true. Let me find a payslip from last year...

256,049y was my average takehome.

Edit: Balls, wrong payslip. 229,530y.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; January 13th, 2015 at 16:02.

I dunno; there's a couple near me making it work with one JET and one night-lessoning, and they've even got a little money on the side. They live pretty frugally (no car, closet of an apartment), but I guess they're okay. They could probably do better if they were a little more motivated, even (we've been trying to talk them into looking for a bigger place all year).
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I dunno; there's a couple near me making it work with one JET and one night-lessoning, and they've even got a little money on the side. They live pretty frugally (no car, closet of an apartment), but I guess they're okay. They could probably do better if they were a little more motivated, even (we've been trying to talk them into looking for a bigger place all year).
    Couples can get by, I think. Those with older kids, too. Just not sure with a wee one.

U da real mvp.

His take home each month will be around 230,000, give or take. You'll get a small stipend for the rugrat. (That will vary by prefecture.) You might be able to get conversation work in your area, you might not. The inaka is a lot emptier than it was when I arrived, let alone when you left.
    ah. When did they change the pay scale? And how on earth did inaka become more inaka? People moving to bigger cities because of the economy?

i just asked and my husband didn't know about the change in pay.
    la...la

JET participants who started on the Programme in 2011 or earlier receive approximately 3.6 million yen per year after Japanese income and resident taxes are imposed.

In line with revised application guidelines, JET participants who arrive in Japan from 2012 will receive approximately 3.36 million yen in their first year of appointment, approximately 3.6 million yen in their second year of appointment, approximately 3.9 million yen for their third appointment, and for those appointed for a fourth and fifth year, approximately 3.96 million yen for each year. JET participants arriving in Japan in 2012 or later who will have Japanese income and resident taxes imposed on them will have to pay these taxes from their remuneration.
    The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme

And how on earth did inaka become more inaka? People moving to bigger cities because of the economy?
    In part, but mostly because grandma dies and there is no new grandma to replace her. Loads of empty schools and houses in rural Japan these days.

U da real mvp.

In part, but mostly because grandma dies and there is no new grandma to replace her. Loads of empty schools and houses in rural Japan these days.
    word

Both of those things, really. After you live here for a while, you tend to stop noticing it; it seems normal and it's easy to get accustomed to it. Travel outside of Japan for a bit, though, or coming here from overseas, and it can be rather alarming. The inaka is being reclaimed by nature at a startling rate, kids are increasingly scarce, entire villages are dying, and everybody seems to be pretty okay with it.

There was an ES that was closed and torn down just a few blocks from my house. It's a big empty lot now; I have guests park there when I throw a party or something. My old village will probably have to close their preschool this year, and maybe their elementary school in another two or three years. I doubt they'll keep the JHS running much longer. Already more teachers than students. They just finished a nice new road that leads to the next nearest village, and its schools are a little bigger and nicer.