Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Default BOE not letting me quit school lunch

My cholesterol and weight have shot up since coming to Japan a year and a half ago.
    I asked my manager to let me stop school lunches as I've gotten advice from my family who are mostly doctors to regulate my own meals. My manager is not hearing it though.
    I am leaving this year and wondering if I should just say fuck it and not participate in the meals and then not pay for it either (have to pay in cash by the end of the month).

Just some extra details:
    My manager said to just try and cut down the meals which I've tried to do but not only am I paying to give away food but I'm also paying for many meals that I'd rather not eat. I'm also used to not having a big appetite at lunch so it's been hard to have these huge school lunches at a time where I don't feel hungry (I get hungry at night).
    Last edited by interioround; January 13th, 2015 at 17:02.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    My cholesterol and weight have shot up since coming to Japan a year and a half ago.
    I asked my manager to let me stop as I've gotten advice from my family who are m
    ... there are just so many things that 'm' could be...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Sorry. I'm posting on mobile and accidentally hit save changes in the middle of typing(>_<)

Compromise and see if you can stop in April when the new school year starts. It's actually pretty hard to change the number of lunches in the middle of the year.

Well, I wouldn't have guessed the answer would be 'mostly doctors'.

Ugh... Have you tried actually telling them that you will not eat the food, nor will you pay for it? Rather than asking?
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Hehe, yeah. I was in America for Christmas break and messaged my manager that I didn't want to participate anymore. I explained my reason and she wrote back saying that it wasn't a good enough reason. I told her even if I went to school I wouldn't eat the lunches.

She wrote back saying that I was speaking to directly(in Japanese) and that we should stop messaging each other or else we would fight... So in short that didn't go over well.

I'm gonna be that guy but there's a difference between not wanting to eat your lunch because you don't like it and claiming that it's making you fat. Are the rest of the school's teachers who have to eat it fat?

Do you eat with the students? if not you could just accept the fact you are going to end up paying for lunch but in the interest of your health not eat it and bring a lunch in. Wasting 5000yen a month is better than dying from a heart attack.

Although to be fair I cant imagine the 700-1000 calorie lunch is the exclusive cause of your problems.... maybe cut out the milk, have a half portion of rice and then work on keeping your meals outside of school under control.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

There have been other teachers who have complained of portion size and who give away a lot of their meal. I just have a problem with giving away my money to things I'm not eating anyway. I could probably eat cheaper and healthier if I could buy my own food and eat when I am actually hungry...

You can always only eat the stuff you want and put everything else back. They'll look at you funny but whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    There have been other teachers who have complained of portion size and who give away a lot of their meal. I just have a problem with giving away my money to things I'm not eating anyway. I could probably eat cheaper and healthier if I could buy my own food and eat when I am actually hungry...
    Consider it donating to the hungry. Just like in America, for some of these kids it is the only decent meal they get in a day.

Bring your own food in and eat it while passing out your food to the hungriest-looking kids you see.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

if you are worried about your health then paying a few hundred yen a day on food you're not eating isn't a big deal. cheaper than a gym membership
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Just do like I did--bring a tupperware or some saran wrap to school and package the foods you can't eat (go for the high-cal/high-carb garbage like the mounds of white rice) and save it for later!

The rice can even be stored temporarily (frozen if long-term storage is needed) and used to cook other, moar appetizing dishes.

Let's keep it real, though--Japanese school lunches are pretty healthy, if a bit high in calories due to the rice. They're also ridiculously cheap in comparison to almost any other option. If I could go back to eating JHS lunches, I would in a heartbeat! Even if you don't eat everything, it's a worthwhile deal. To "save face," just act like you're keeping all the food for later consumption. MG can't eat all of her lunches, either, but whatever she brings back, she just feeds to the chickens! They love it!
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

So... Buy chickens? That's pretty good advice, chickens are cool.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    So... Buy chickens? That's pretty good advice, chickens are cool.
    And delicious.

Cannibal.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Cannibal.
    I'm higher in the pecking order.

Gods need their sacrifices/offerings.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; January 13th, 2015 at 18:21.

True.

So, OP. Do you want to give us a timeline of these events?

True.

So, OP. Do you want to give us a timeline of these events?
    November is when I found out my cholesterol had gone up. I had wanted to cut out of lunch for a while at that time and the cholesterol solidified that for me.
    I decided I would tell my BOE during winter break so I didn't have to eat the next year. I thought that would make it easier on them...hah.
    So I told my manager by text during the break and she flipped her shit.
    Seriously guys though. What if I just go to all my schools (I have ten) and tell them I'm cutting myself out this year? What's the worst my BOE will do? They're already not recontracting me. What's the harm they can do me?