Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95

Thread: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

  1. #21
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Depends on the BOE, but generally not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  2. #22

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    They're already not recontracting me. What's the harm they can do me?
    Yeah they basically have as low an opinion as they could have of you, might as well.

  3. #23
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Like I said, it'd be easier if you quit in April. School lunch prices are basically set by how many portions (there's usually enough in each class for an extra, plus one for the test meal and another to freeze) divided by the number of kids and teachers who are eating it. There's a little more to it when you start getting into looking at money for kids who can't afford it or whatever. Quitting in the middle of the year like that fucks with the prices for everyone in the school. Since you have so many schools, they might not even be at all the same lunch center, so your supervisor would have to deal with all of them. At the very earliest, if your supervisor calls and cancels lunch for you tomorrow, it wouldn't take effect until February or maybe March if they've already done the lunch count for February. Because it's so late in the year, it isn't worth going through all that trouble.

    Why didn't you wait and talk to your supervisor about this in person? That would have gone over a lot better.

  4. #24
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    I'm kinda curious about the actual dialog that took place via text message. What did you say to her that got her so upset?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  5. #25
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    I work at three schools and I just ask the teacher who doles out the rice to give me half the rice because I'm dieting. All of them have been super supportive. At one school the gym teacher overhead my request and said "good".

    Word incarnate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  6. #26

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I'm kinda curious about the actual dialog that took place via text message. What did you say to her that got her so upset?
    I'll translate what I said into English, so it may have a different nuance in Japanese:

    Me: Merry Christmas!
    Sorry to e-mail you out of the blue. I'm messaging you because there was something I wanted to talk to you about last year.
    Next year, I would like to not partake in the school lunch anymore. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.
    See you next year.

    Manager: Why won't you eat the lunches?

    Me: I'm a bit worried about my health. At the health checkup, my weight and cholesterol had gone up. Also, there's not a lot of places to exercise in [my town].
    The portions for the school lunch are too big for me. Please let me not partake in the school lunches anymore. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

    Manager: If that's the reason, it's muzukashii to cancel your lunch. Let's talk about a solution when you get back.

    *I read this and I knew this was a "No. You will eat kyuushoku no matter what", so I was frustrated and angry that my health reason was not good enough for her.*


    Me: The reason I don't want to participate anymore is because of my health so it is muzukashii for me to keep participating. The situation will become so that I will not eat lunch even if I go to school. I know I'm causing a lot of trouble (meiwaku wo kaketeiru to omoimasu ga) but I really don't want to participate anymore. Shitsurei shimasu.

    Manager: In any case, let's stop messaging each other. I know you're writing to me in Japanese for my sake, but the nuance in e-mail is hard to convey and and you're speaking pretty directly, so I think this could turn into a fight.

    Me: I had no intention of starting a fight. Sorry for writing anything rude. I will talk to you later (de wa mata).


    Very annoying...

  7. #27
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Okay yeah I understand why she got upset.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  8. #28

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Okay yeah I understand why she got upset.
    And am I not allowed to be upset?
    I'm paying for it, and it's my body!

  9. #29

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    And am I not allowed to be upset?
    Should have stayed at college in America if you wanted anyone to care about that.

  10. #30
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Might have been a language problem/barrier?

    Thought I'd recommend speaking to her directly about these matters.

    It's hard to translate mood in texts, even more so if it's not your native language.

    If it was during holiday break, you probably caught her at a bad time.

    How would you react if you were called/messaged about something school related in your off time?

    On the subject at hand, I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but this probably falls under cultural differences.

    This has to do with the well being of the group, you'd be inconveniencing others by forcing everyone else to pay for your meals.

    I know this is not your intent, but there's probably food contracts and such involved.



    (Someone else can pitch in if I'm speaking out of my **** and all I'm saying is wrong)
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; January 13th, 2015 at 21:04.

  11. #31
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    You can be upset. It's certainly your prerogative. You're not unique in this either. Employees often get pissed off at their employers.

    If you work for others though, a big part of life is eating shit. If you can't learn to eat shit, you're going to run into problems anywhere you work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  12. #32
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    You are paying for it and it's your body but it's also your job and expected of you.

    I wonder if maybe your Japanese might have contained slightly different nuances than your English? Also, like coop said, your lunges might not be coming from the same place and that can cause problems. (I had this problem in my first year, where I was expected to buy a lunch every day I was scheduled at spec Ed, and I told em to go to hell).

    Either way like coop said, stopping now is a pain, just pay the price until April. Frankly if it's that big of a deal, quit your job and go home to save your health. Obstinate bureaucracy doesn't change.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  13. #33
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    And am I not allowed to be upset?
    I'm paying for it, and it's my body!
    Imagine you're on vacation, having lunch with your SO, when suddenly, you get a text message from one of your coworkers:

    "I have an issue about a thing that you can't do anything about right now. I need you to find a way to resolve this situation."

    You reply: "Um, okay, let's talk about it when our mutual vacation ends and we go back to work."

    "No! I want you to tell me what I want to hear right now! You don't have a choice, anyway. I'm gonna do what I want!"

    You don't wanna deal with this right now. You reply: "Look, now's not a good time. Let's just talk about it when we go back to work."




    You're "allowed" to be upset, but it's pretty foolish of you, in my opinion. You contacted your supervisor--while she was on vacation--regarding a situation about which she could do nothing immediately. You jumped to a conclusion that may or may not have been accurate based on her justifiable brush-off response. You threw her response back in her face and demanded an immediate and uncompromising resolution to your problem. She didn't want to deal with you (and couldn't, anyway), and ended the conversation. I'd be annoyed if I were her, too.

    You're right, though. It's your hot body; you do what you want.
    Last edited by word; January 13th, 2015 at 21:09.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  14. #34

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    I'll translate what I said into English, so it may have a different nuance in Japanese:

    Me: Merry Christmas!
    Sorry to e-mail you out of the blue. I'm messaging you because there was something I wanted to talk to you about last year.
    Next year, I would like to not partake in the school lunch anymore. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.
    See you next year.

    Manager: Why won't you eat the lunches?

    Me: I'm a bit worried about my health. At the health checkup, my weight and cholesterol had gone up. Also, there's not a lot of places to exercise in [my town].
    The portions for the school lunch are too big for me. Please let me not partake in the school lunches anymore. Yoroshiku Onegaishimasu.

    Manager: If that's the reason, it's muzukashii to cancel your lunch. Let's talk about a solution when you get back.

    *I read this and I knew this was a "No. You will eat kyuushoku no matter what", so I was frustrated and angry that my health reason was not good enough for her.*


    Me: The reason I don't want to participate anymore is because of my health so it is muzukashii for me to keep participating. The situation will become so that I will not eat lunch even if I go to school. I know I'm causing a lot of trouble (meiwaku wo kaketeiru to omoimasu ga) but I really don't want to participate anymore. Shitsurei shimasu.

    Manager: In any case, let's stop messaging each other. I know you're writing to me in Japanese for my sake, but the nuance in e-mail is hard to convey and and you're speaking pretty directly, so I think this could turn into a fight.

    Me: I had no intention of starting a fight. Sorry for writing anything rude. I will talk to you later (de wa mata).


    Very annoying...
    Hey, Bunky!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  15. #35

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Imagine you're on vacation, having lunch with your SO, when suddenly, you get a text message from one of your coworkers:

    "I have an issue about a thing that you can't do anything about right now. I need you to find a way to resolve this situation."

    You reply: "Um, okay, let's talk about it when our mutual vacation ends and we go back to work."

    "No! I want you to tell me what I want to hear right now! You don't have a choice, anyway. I'm gonna do what I want!"

    You don't wanna deal with this right now. You reply: "Look, now's not a good time. Let's just talk about it when we go back to work."




    You're "allowed" to be upset, but it's pretty foolish of you, in my opinion. You contacted your supervisor--while she was on vacation--regarding a situation about which she could do nothing immediately. You jumped to a conclusion that may or may not have been accurate based on her justifiable brush-off response. You threw her response back in her face and demanded an immediate and uncompromising resolution to your problem. She didn't want to deal with you (and couldn't, anyway), and ended the conversation. I'd be annoyed if I were her, too.

    You're right, though. It's your hot body, and you do what you want.

    To be fair, I did want to talk about it before I went back, and checking the date in which we had these conversations, I wrote her when she was back at work. :/

    Talking to her today, there was no compromise on their part (which I expected). The answer was
    "eat the school lunch, you're on your own on reducing the portion. We want you there talking with the students in English, too. Your lunch is not a break."

  16. #36
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    To be fair, I did want to talk about it before I went back, and checking the date in which we had these conversations, I wrote her when she was back at work. :/
    But YOU weren't there. That's not very fair, is it? "Let's talk about this--oh, except I deliberately avoided bringing it up until it was very difficult to discuss it." You had no way of knowing how busy she was (given that it was days before the winter vacation, I suspect she was pretty busy) or what she was doing at the time you messaged her.

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    Talking to her today, there was no compromise on their part (which I expected).
    I've noticed that people often seem to find the fight they expect.

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    The answer was "eat the school lunch, you're on your own on reducing the portion. We want you there talking with the students in English, too. Your lunch is not a break."
    If that's actually the case, then that seems pretty fair, doesn't it? They've left you the option of reducing your portions. Try the take-home option that I suggested, or the put-back option that someone else recommended. One of those should work, shouldn't it?
    Last edited by word; January 13th, 2015 at 21:19.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  17. #37

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    But YOU weren't there. That's not very fair, is it? "Let's talk about this--oh, except I deliberately avoided bringing it up until it was very difficult to discuss it." You had no way of knowing how busy she was (given that it was days before the winter vacation, I suspect she was pretty busy) or what she was doing at the time you messaged her.

    I've noticed that people often seem to find the fight they expect.

    If that's actually the case, then that seems pretty fair, doesn't it? They've left you the option of reducing your portions. Try the take-home option that I suggested, or the put-back option that someone else recommended. One of those should work, shouldn't it?
    Yeah, I'd like to do the take-home option, but that's frowned-upon, too.
    I also would rather use the 5,000 yen on my own food budget/savings, but I see I'm probably not going to get anywhere with that.

  18. #38
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Yeah, just accept that there is nothing you can do. Once you do that you can move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  19. #39
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    Yeah, I'd like to do the take-home option, but that's frowned-upon, too.
    Is it? Did you ask? Did you try it?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  20. #40

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Is it? Did you ask? Did you try it?
    Yes, my managers said not to do it, but maybe that'll be the compromise on my side. They're very strict.
    The other JETs also complained about the portions and were told they could not do "takeout".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •