Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 95

Thread: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

  1. #41
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Aren't you guys paying for it?

    If you bring a bento or something, you can always store the food when no one is looking.

    I doubt they'll check your belongings when leaving.

    If worse comes to worse, you can chalk it up to another cultural misunderstanding.

    This is a way to go around the problem if you are left with no choice.

    I'm not endorsing going against your boss, but it's you choice in the end.

  2. #42
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    It'll be obvious if she is eating with the kids. Just put the stuff back and ignore it if there's complaints.

    That text was definitely not the way to go, Japanese or not. And your supervisor has a right to be at least a little irritated for being put in that situation. That kind of issue is one you should take of face to face.

  3. #43

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Aren't you guys paying for it?

    If you bring a bento or something, you can always store the food when no one is looking.

    I doubt they'll check your belongings when leaving.

    If worse comes to worse, you can chalk it up to another cultural misunderstanding.

    This is a way to go around the problem if you are left with no choice.

    I'm not endorsing going against your boss, but it's you choice in the end.

    Yes, I think I will just try and do this. It is breaking the rules, but I don't know how else to compromise.

  4. #44
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,351

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    As long as it's not in my contract that I need to buy my lunch from them, I just would refuse. It's my salary and any forced payment would equal a non contract authorized cut in pay. This isn't some sort of bondage system. You teach sixth graders and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don't you call me because I can't go. I owe my soul to the shokudo.

  5. #45
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    You teach sixth graders and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don't you call me because I can't go. I owe my soul to the shokudo.
    Pure brilliance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  6. #46
    Senior Member ambrosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Minnesota->Mie
    Posts
    628

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    I'd just do "take out" regardless. You technically paid for the food. No use force feeding yourself an entire meal if you can't.

    johnny's comment about hint hinting or just plain asking to get half a serving of rice, or whatever, due to "dieting" might be worth a try
    Last edited by ambrosse; January 14th, 2015 at 06:43.

  7. #47

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    As long as it's not in my contract that I need to buy my lunch from them, I just would refuse. It's my salary and any forced payment would equal a non contract authorized cut in pay. This isn't some sort of bondage system. You teach sixth graders and what do you get? Another day older and deeper in debt. St. Peter don't you call me because I can't go. I owe my soul to the shokudo.
    This is really what I want to do. I mean, this would step on a lot of toes, but at the same time I'm already hated for bringing up things like this and having it blow up in my face.

    I really don't have a lot to lose here. There's nothing to do in my town, my BOE hates me, I'm not recontracting/They're not recontracting me, and at this point I'm so tired of this shitty placement that I'm ready to go home. The only reason why I'm considering the takeout option is because I really do love sitting with (most of) the kids.

    I have a lot of leverage because they have 10 schools they send me to. The other JET that they adore is breaking contract and leaving in April, so I'll be all they have left. They told me to "motto ganbare" since I'll be on my own... My BOE sucks hairy donkey balls.

  8. #48
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quick q. Are you working 830-430 with an hour break or something else?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  9. #49

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Pure brilliance.
    word
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  10. #50
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    How exactly are the school lunches causing you massive weight gain and sending your cholesterol through the roof? Could you give us an idea of what you eat over the course of an average day?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  11. #51

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Quick q. Are you working 830-430 with an hour break or something else?
    8:30-4:15. Break time not stipulated.

  12. #52
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    How exactly are the school lunches causing you massive weight gain and sending your cholesterol through the roof? Could you give us an idea of what you eat over the course of an average day?
    C'mon, man; you're not going to get an honest answer to this question, and you know it. Most people can't even be honest with themselves about what they eat over the course of an average day. Studies have shown that people invariably overestimate the amount of calories they burn and significantly underestimate the amount of calories they consume, anyway; I'm sure OP is perfectly innocent and is totally not shoveling down 3000+kcalorie McMeals every night or anything, but it seems pretty likely that s/he's consuming more than is ideal if boiled vegetables and white rice have put his/her weight/cholesterol "through the roof."
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  13. #53
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    shouldn't jump to conclusions young word!

    saying that..... a big mac has 85mg of cholesterol and a bowl of white rice has 0mg
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  14. #54
    Senior Member mothy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    On a happy rainbow
    Posts
    12,351

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    And that's not even counting the dental material!

  15. #55

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    C'mon, man; you're not going to get an honest answer to this question, and you know it. Most people can't even be honest with themselves about what they eat over the course of an average day. Studies have shown that people invariably overestimate the amount of calories they burn and significantly underestimate the amount of calories they consume, anyway; I'm sure OP is perfectly innocent and is totally not shoveling down 3000+kcalorie McMeals every night or anything, but it seems pretty likely that s/he's consuming more than is ideal if boiled vegetables and white rice have put his/her weight/cholesterol "through the roof."
    Bu that's not the question. If I'm paying for it why isn't it my choice?

    FYI, I live in the boonies so the closest mcds is about 40 minutes away so I guess it would have to be the unhealthy version of whatever they eat in the sticks...fried tanuki?

  16. #56
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    8:30-4:15. Break time not stipulated.
    Your contract says nothing about your hour break? When do you normally get that hour?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  17. #57

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    I live in the boonies so the closest mcds is about 40 minutes away
    That is not the boonies.

    If no one likes you, maybe it is you.

    Just go home now. You obviously don't care about your schools, your students' education, or the real root of your health issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  18. #58
    Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Somewhere deathly quiet
    Posts
    4,897

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    I'm totally going to mcDonalds today now I've read this.

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    That is not the boonies.

    If no one likes you, maybe it is you.

    Just go home now. You obviously don't care about your schools, your students' education, or the real root of your health issues.
    If the conversation continues in this vein I will move it to the Lounge, no problem. The tone is wrong for this part of the site, but at the same time I would rather not lose this discussion.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; January 14th, 2015 at 09:59.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

  19. #59
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    Bu that's not the question.
    Of course it's not.

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    If I'm paying for it why isn't it my choice?
    It is, but you're not thinking about this situation in a very culturally-sensitive way. That's fine, I guess; I sometimes think we filthy gaijin should be moar obnoxious about demonstrating our own cultural norms, rather than adapting to Japanese norms. Still, I think you're looking at this situation from a rather biased point of view and not even bothering to consider theirs.

    In Japan, life is all about the group, the team, the collective--especially in school. Everybody eats the school lunch because that's what everybody does. It's healthy, it's good for you, and it's a way of showing your solidarity and comaraderie. All good teachers, according to Japanese standards, will eat lunch with the students, setting a good example and demonstrating compliance with the decisions made by the school nutritionist and food preparation staff.

    You rejected that. It's your right, but it's very "un-Japanese" of you and is inevitably going to be viewed as downright rude.

    Now, add the fact that you decided to "discuss" this matter with your supervisor when you were thousands of miles away, as well as the fact that you refuse to acknowledge that they are perfectly justified in their actions and responses (according to their norms) and you've got the recipe for a very frustrated and annoyed supervisor.

    The JET experience is all about international exchange. Usually, that means learning and growing together, making compromises, figuring out where and when it's appropriate to make a stand, etc. Sometimes it's more a situation in which people are being obstinate and stubborn, refusing to see any side other than their own and revealing a childish sense of entitlement and cultural superiority.

    It's at least partially up to you to decide which sort of experience you're going to have in this situation.

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    FYI, I live in the boonies so the closest mcds is about 40 minutes away so I guess it would have to be the unhealthy version of whatever they eat in the sticks...fried tanuki?
    Fried everything. There is no shortage of unhealthy food in Japan... but there's also no shortage of healthy food.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  20. #60

    Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

    Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    Bu that's not the question. If I'm paying for it why isn't it my choice?

    FYI, I live in the boonies so the closest mcds is about 40 minutes away so I guess it would have to be the unhealthy version of whatever they eat in the sticks...fried tanuki?
    Do you really not understand? I figured it was obvious but now I'm wondering if you genuinely don't understand.

    Japan is the country of getting along with everyone else. Of not sticking out from the crowd. You are supposed to persevere through your personal difficulties to maintain the social harmony. This is the first thing you should have learned and made your peace with before even coming here. Arguments like "I'm paying for it, isn't it my choice?" don't make any sense to Japanese people.

    In this situation, they want teachers to eat the same lunch with the kids to set an example. You think the majority of teachers wouldn't prefer to bring a lunchbox from home? Probably 2/3rd of the Japanese teachers you work with would love to ditch school lunches if it were possible. But for a Japanese teacher to do so would be unthinkable. Teachers are meant to show the students that eating their lunch is important and that they aren't being asked to do anything unreasonable. It's about showing solidarity with your coworkers and the students in your care.

    So every single teacher and student in the school is able to eat school lunch without issue. Then the one foreigner (who already sticks out and probably gets a ton of leeway on other responsibilities) demands that they not have to eat lunches. Literally every other teacher manages to put aside their personal distaste and recognise the importance of their eating school lunch. But for some reason the one foreigner has a unique reason they can't eat lunch. And now your supervisor has to deal with how she's going to explain this to students who wonder why foreigner-sensei doesn't have to eat school lunch. Not to mention the resentment from all your other coworkers who would love dearly to ditch the lunches. The only way they are going to view this is as selfishness and childishness on your part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •