Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Do you really not understand? I figured it was obvious but now I'm wondering if you genuinely don't understand.

Japan is the country of getting along with everyone else. Of not sticking out from the crowd. You are supposed to persevere through your personal difficulties to maintain the social harmony. This is the first thing you should have learned and made your peace with before even coming here. Arguments like "I'm paying for it, isn't it my choice?" don't make any sense to Japanese people.

In this situation, they want teachers to eat the same lunch with the kids to set an example. You think the majority of teachers wouldn't prefer to bring a lunchbox from home? Probably 2/3rd of the Japanese teachers you work with would love to ditch school lunches if it were possible. But for a Japanese teacher to do so would be unthinkable. Teachers are meant to show the students that eating their lunch is important and that they aren't being asked to do anything unreasonable. It's about showing solidarity with your coworkers and the students in your care.

So every single teacher and student in the school is able to eat school lunch without issue. Then the one foreigner (who already sticks out and probably gets a ton of leeway on other responsibilities) demands that they not have to eat lunches. Literally every other teacher manages to put aside their personal distaste and recognise the importance of their eating school lunch. But for some reason the one foreigner has a unique reason they can't eat lunch. And now your supervisor has to deal with how she's going to explain this to students who wonder why foreigner-sensei doesn't have to eat school lunch. Not to mention the resentment from all your other coworkers who would love dearly to ditch the lunches. The only way they are going to view this is as selfishness and childishness on your part.
    Great minds and all.

OP, don't think I'm just preaching from a high horse or anything--I've made this same mistake and been chastised for it here on popular bodybuilding enthusiast site ithinkimlost.com. I ultimately swallowed my pride and considered things from a different point of view, and I' d like to think I emerged from the whole experience a bit wiser. This whole thing is not an easy experience, but that's kinda what it's all about, is it not?
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Back in safe territory. Isn't it nice when we all play nice?
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Alright. Message is loud and clear.
    It was nice to vent about it and get advice. Thank you.

It seems to me that you want it both ways with your BoE. You want to go against the norm without having to deal with the consequences of it. Just eat the lunches or don't. There's no way to make everyone happy with you doing your own thing.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by interioround View Post
    Alright. Message is loud and clear.
    It was nice to vent about it and get advice. Thank you.
    I have a suggestion (which is why I was asking questions). If not eating lunch, or eating a reduced lunch, or eating your own lunch is a problem, why not suggest to the school that you would like your hour break during lunch and that you'll be in the staff room or leave school property. You're entitled to that hour break, by law you have to have it. If they insist that you aren't work during that lunch and that it is your break, then yes you can leave. If they insist that you are working during lunch, where is your hour break going? (like do you get to leave every day at 3:15?)

I know one girl who went for a walk for 2 years at lunch because she didn't want to eat the school lunch (and she wasn't that great with the young kids either).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I have a suggestion (which is why I was asking questions). If not eating lunch, or eating a reduced lunch, or eating your own lunch is a problem, why not suggest to the school that you would like your hour break during lunch and that you'll be in the staff room or leave school property. You're entitled to that hour break, by law you have to have it. If they insist that you aren't work during that lunch and that it is your break, then yes you can leave. If they insist that you are working during lunch, where is your hour break going? (like do you get to leave every day at 3:15?)

I know one girl who went for a walk for 2 years at lunch because she didn't want to eat the school lunch (and she wasn't that great with the young kids either).
    Just about any answer that doesn`t involve me sitting with the students eating school lunch will not be well met.
    There is not much room to compromise unfortunately...

Hehe, yeah. I was in America for Christmas break and messaged my manager that I didn't want to participate anymore. I explained my reason and she wrote back saying that it wasn't a good enough reason.
    HUNGER STRIKE.
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones
    you will soon learn... Imagine the worst people you knew in college. Now imagine them trying to continue their college life in another country, constantly talking shit about each other and their foreign country like it is shit... only to be the shittiest of the bunch.

now imagine the people who don't fit into that, and are actually shittier.... that is ITIL.

Just about any answer that doesn`t involve me sitting with the students eating school lunch will not be well met.
    There is not much room to compromise unfortunately...
    In this case I'm not talking about compromise, I'm talking about holding them to the letter of your contract. Negotiate when your lunch hour occurs, and put your foot down. If they insist that you cannot take your hour break during lunch, ensure it's at some other valid point in the day (the last hour doesn't actually count in most legal systems as it's mean to interrupt the flow of work, not reduce an 8 hour shift to 7).

I mean they're not going to be happy, but you're leaving anyways so what does it matter.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

if you are working 8:30-4:15 I would guess you have 45min for lunch then a 15min "break" from 4:15 to the end of your contracted time (4:30)
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    if you are working 8:30-4:15 I would guess you have 45min for lunch then a 15min "break" from 4:15 to the end of your contracted time (4:30)
    If that's the case for the guy, they have no right to ask them to stay there for lunch then as the time is considered a break under law, meaning free from work requirements.

I don't know man, I know the crux of your argument is that you don't or shouldn't have to eat it, but really? You have to. Even if you don't have to. You know what I mean. Everyone eats school lunch. You mentioned that there are other teachers who complain about the portion size, but they still eat it. You don't have to eat it all. You don't have to put on a show about packing it up to pretend to take it home. Mostly importantly, though, it's not to blame for your weight gain and cholesterol. Look around you. You aren't surrounded by fat people with cholesterol problems. The cause of your health problems lies somewhere else, and I think you know that.

I don't want to be an ass, and I know it's been implied by others, but I am suspicious this isn't the first time you've made waves like this. I don't know anyone who wasn't asked to recontract. Don't say "Fuck it, I'm leaving and they hate me anyway" and start flashing gang signs at everyone. You're still a JET. Don't make JETs and foreigners look bad by throwing a fit over your kimpira gobo and whole milk. Looks bad, man, no matter how rational your argument may or may not be.

I don't like to be harsh, but I feel like if you know enough Japanese to have had the conversation you did, you should know enough about the culture to have seen this coming a mile away.

Snow approves of the preceding message.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arcthemonkey View Post
    I don't know man, I know the crux of your argument is that you don't or shouldn't have to eat it, but really? You have to. Even if you don't have to. You know what I mean. Everyone eats school lunch. You mentioned that there are other teachers who complain about the portion size, but they still eat it. You don't have to eat it all. You don't have to put on a show about packing it up to pretend to take it home. Mostly importantly, though, it's not to blame for your weight gain and cholesterol. Look around you. You aren't surrounded by fat people with cholesterol problems. The cause of your health problems lies somewhere else, and I think you know that.

I don't want to be an ass, and I know it's been implied by others, but I am suspicious this isn't the first time you've made waves like this. I don't know anyone who wasn't asked to recontract. Don't say "Fuck it, I'm leaving and they hate me anyway" and start flashing gang signs at everyone. You're still a JET. Don't make JETs and foreigners look bad by throwing a fit over your kimpira gobo and whole milk. Looks bad, man, no matter how rational your argument may or may not be.

I don't like to be harsh, but I feel like if you know enough Japanese to have had the conversation you did, you should know enough about the culture to have seen this coming a mile away.
    Hey, I currently show over 60 unread threads on my feed. Can you go ahead and summarize everyone else's posts in those threads like you did here so that I don't have to wade through them all? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Hey, I currently show over 60 unread threads on my feed. Can you go ahead and summarize everyone else's posts in those threads like you did here so that I don't have to wade through them all? Thanks.
    Greyjoy, always here to offer a heartfelt compliment. If you want to be an arse take it to the lounge or PM the guy - this thread has done a miraculous job of staying on topic and in the right tone so far.

Banned

御免, 雪さん.

OP, you should know better than to blame the school lunch for your weight problem. Everyone else eats the school lunch and they're not fat, are they? Japanese society frowns upon people who don't conform to societal norms, I would think you would know that by now.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    御免, 雪さん.

OP, you should know better than to blame the school lunch for your weight problem. Everyone else eats the school lunch and they're not fat, are they? Japanese society frowns upon people who don't conform to societal norms, I would think you would know that by now.
    Hey greyjoy way to summarize what I already said already.

Banned

Hey greyjoy way to summarize what I already said already.
    I'm sorry, I'm too busy telling all the people who got interviews to wear suits and not mention their Naruto slash fiction to read this post. Can you give me the gist of it?

I see where you're coming from. I gained weight when I first got here, even though Im usually pretty careful about what I eat. I felt like I had to eat everything they gave me at lunch. My situation is pretty similar. I have to eat kyuushoku because they want me to talk to the kids at lunch. If I had any severe dietary restrictions, that would be the only way they would let me bring a lunch, and I would have to eat in the staff room alone. I don't, so I had to go the kyuushoku route.

Im not going to tell you what to do, I'll just tell you what I did. After talking to some of the teachers, I found out that many of them don't eat all of the lunch. I asked, and they said it's fine to put back parts of my lunch once everyone's been served and we've done the "itadakimasu" together. So usually I get up and put back the milk, half of the rice, and sometimes some of the entree. Usually it's grabbed by one the boys fighting for seconds. Sometimes I bring small healthy snacks, like a little fruit, and eat a little between classes. I've now lost the weight and I'm lower than before I arrived.

No one really seemed to care about me actually eating all of kyuushoku and only kyuushoku. I just can't be there with the kids during lunch if I'm not involved in the lunch system. And I want to be. Paying ¥4800 a month to get to hang out with my kids for 20 minutes doesn't seem like a lot to me. I factor it in with the fact that I had to buy a car in order to get to work. And work clothes. And school supplies. Sometimes jobs also comes with expenses. But I also really enjoy eating with my students, so my situation may be different.

For those of you talking about breaks, I have no iidea what you're talking about. Maybe I don't work long enough? I work 8:00-3:45. No break. But also no one cares what I'm doing if there's no classes, so I have some downtime every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Aethel View Post
    I see where you're coming from. I gained weight when I first got here, even though Im usually pretty careful about what I eat. I felt like I had to eat everything they gave me at lunch. My situation is pretty similar. I have to eat kyuushoku because they want me to talk to the kids at lunch. If I had any severe dietary restrictions, that would be the only way they would let me bring a lunch, and I would have to eat in the staff room alone. I don't, so I had to go the kyuushoku route.

Im not going to tell you what to do, I'll just tell you what I did. After talking to some of the teachers, I found out that many of them don't eat all of the lunch. I asked, and they said it's fine to put back parts of my lunch once everyone's been served and we've done the "itadakimasu" together. So usually I get up and put back the milk, half of the rice, and sometimes some of the entree. Usually it's grabbed by one the boys fighting for seconds. Sometimes I bring small healthy snacks, like a little fruit, and eat a little between classes. I've now lost the weight and I'm lower than before I arrived.

No one really seemed to care about me actually eating all of kyuushoku and only kyuushoku. I just can't be there with the kids during lunch if I'm not involved in the lunch system. And I want to be. Paying ¥4800 a month to get to hang out with my kids for 20 minutes doesn't seem like a lot to me.
    I had a similar experience, but my problem wasn't about weight. I'm going to admit it, most of the time I detested school lunch. But I stuck with it so I could keep eating with the kids. I definitely think your method is the best way to go about it. Put back some food before "Itadakimasu" if the portion is too big for you. My base school would give me HUGE portions no matter how many times I requested otherwise. But they were content for me to put back food before we ate so that others could benefit off my unwanted food. And they didn't have a big problem with me putting back what I couldn't finish in the bucket at the end of of lunchtime. My schools were also nice enough to understand the food I just could not eat (in my case, shishamo). So I would eat with the kids 99% of the time, but on shishamo day, I would give the shishamo to the kyoto-sensei (who was very happy with the arrangement) and enjoy eating with the staff in the office on a rare occasion.

Believe me, OP, there were times when I wanted to straight up quit school lunch. Like Aethel, I'm not going to tell you what to do, that's up to you. I just recommend, since you have a problem with portion and the type of food, see if putting some food back is okay. Aethel's idea for a healthy snack is also a good one.

My cholesterol and weight have shot up since coming to Japan a year and a half ago.

(I get hungry at night).
    It seems like you're having a lot of personal problems that go beyond your diet.

• Quit eating at night. Your metabolism slows down with lack of physical activity, and sleep slows it even further.
    • You've already admitted you don't exercise...lack of access to a gym is no excuse.

You insist on eating only once your metabolism has completely shut down and you're not exercising at all to stimulate it again? Of course you're gaining weight. You're acting like a fat person. JET or not, if you don't change your behavior, heart disease is going to follow you right back home, and given what I've seen of you you'll still be blaming the BoE the whole way there.

But you won't take responsibility for your actions, so you're causing trouble for everybody around you. Quit blaming your supervisor/BoE, rural life and school lunches for your unhealthy lifestyle. You're an adult college graduate who should understand basic nutrition by now. Given the general tone around here I'm a little surprised that I'm the first one to call you out on this.