Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Default Re: BOE not letting me quit school lunch

Uhh... I think nearly everyone pointed that out. And since the question wasn't, what can I do to have a healthy lifestyle? The people who didn't were just answering the OPs question.

I foist off almost all fish/seafood off on the other kids (returning it at the start of lunch) or give it to one of my JTEs who is a bottomless pit. He appreciates it, I think. Then just don't eat all the rice. Easy way to cut 200-300 calories off the meal by not eating more than half the rice (especially when the lunch lady gives you enough for 2-3 people because your 'special' or only come around once every 2-3 weeks or whatever.)

I was really up on turning myself around when I came to Japan for JET. I had been lifting weights and lost 30lbs in the 7 months before. Then I lost it all and became a sedentary blob. But 20 lbs or so back on. Felt like crap. Started biking to school (its pretty close) and getting some other excercise. Now if don't head out to get some exercise I get really sleepy around 4 PM or so. Walk around for a while before dinner/actually exercise, feel much better.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Uhh... I think nearly everyone pointed that out. And since the question wasn't, what can I do to have a healthy lifestyle? The people who didn't were just answering the OPs question.
    Fair enough, but OP is fishing for answers to the wrong question.

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    Welcome to the magical world of Gaijin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I've spent my entire life looking for answers to the wrong question.

^ I love this guy!

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Given the general tone around here I'm a little surprised that I'm the first one to call you out on this.
    The lounge is the place for harsh words and call-outs, generally. This section is a little... gentler.

That said, I don't disagree with much of what you're saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Yeah, I think so long as the comments aren't overly harsh or mean-spirited, they're okay. I wouldn't consider Starfish's comment to be too bad according to those criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Yeah, I think so long as the comments aren't overly harsh or mean-spirited, they're okay. I wouldn't consider Starfish's comment to be too bad according to those criteria.
    Re-reading my own comment even I think it's a bit harsh. I'm not normally so abrasive.

Honestly I wish the best for OP, but believe they're barking up the wrong tree with this blame-the-BoE thing.

now you're calling her a dog as well as fat? Jeez, tone it down a little
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

• Quit eating at night. Your metabolism slows down with lack of physical activity, and sleep slows it even further.
    • You've already admitted you don't exercise...lack of access to a gym is no excuse.
    I have to point out that based on my research and personal experience as a bodybuilder, eating at night DOES NOT make a difference. Regardless to whether you eat 3000 calories in the morning or at night, the extra calories will get stored as fat either way. Metabolism has no say in the matter.
    I realize that it' s a practical strategy for many people but that's only because it generally reduces their calorie intake. Timing doesn't matter.

Source
    Last edited by azguitarist; January 19th, 2015 at 14:44.

Re-reading my own comment even I think it's a bit harsh. I'm not normally so abrasive.

Honestly I wish the best for OP, but believe they're barking up the wrong tree with this blame-the-BoE thing.
    After rereading my post, I'm amazed that anyone understood it. I really need to stop posting when I'm in a rush, but I digress.

Out of context your posts could be seen to be a tad harsh, but within the context of this thread I don't think they're too bad. Sometimes it helps when you're frank with people, even if your comments take a while to sink in.

I still sympathize with Interioraround and I know how she feels, but her solution was not going to result in the outcomes she wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    I know how she feels
    clammy?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by azguitarist View Post
    I have to point out that based on my research and personal experience as a bodybuilder, eating at night DOES NOT make a difference. Regardless to whether you eat 3000 calories in the morning or at night, the extra calories will get stored as fat either way. Metabolism has no say in the matter.
    I realize that it' s a practical strategy for many people but that's only because it generally reduces their calorie intake. Timing doesn't matter.

Source
    You're a bodybuilder, in peak physical condition. Eat what you want, when you want-- you're going to burn it off during your next workout anyway, so your personal experience is not going to yield the same results as someone who is sedentary.

And yes, "metabolism slowing down at night" is not literally true, as it is a gross oversimplification of a much more complicated topic (ketosis). The end result is the same but for different reasons, which is why that's been a commonly-held belief for so long.

You're a bodybuilder, in peak physical condition. Eat what you want, when you want-- you're going to burn it off during your next workout anyway, so your personal experience is not going to yield the same results as someone who is sedentary.

And yes, "metabolism slowing down at night" is not literally true, as it is a gross oversimplification of a much more complicated topic (ketosis). The end result is the same but for different reasons, which is why that's been a commonly-held belief for so long.
    The case of someone that's sedentary simplifies it, really. Eat less than you put out. Time is of little relation when simple math is such a large part of the issue.