Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice for women buying suits?

Default Advice for women buying suits?

Hey, I was just wondering what the ladies of ITIL were planning to wear to the interview. I have some nice dress pants from Ann Taylor but no blazer/blouse to go with it. Does anybody have ideas on what brands to look for? I'm flexible on price because this will be an investment but preferably something not over $500 (for a full suit). I'm busty and have wide shoulders, just fyi. Also, is dark navy blue a good color choice? Or should I stick to black and white?

Default Re: Advice for women buying suits?

I am pretty good with online shopping. My favorite place for business attire is Express. They recently had a huge sale and I got an entire suit for about $150 It's well-made and looks great.
    If you're a Macy's kind of person (I love it), the Tahari brand has a good array of suits and they fit wonderfully and are a decent price.

I own a pants suit and a skirt suit, but also what I call a "dress suit."
    It's a dress, but it looks like a skirt suit. It's pretty awesome. It has a nice little blazer that goes with it. I'm leaning toward wearing that. There have been some people iffy on wearing a dress to the interview, but I'd rather wear a professional, perfect fitting dress with a blazer than a suit that I feel makes me look stumpy.

My overall suggestion? Wear professional attire that makes you feel confident comfortable.

Edit: In addition, think about your shoes. They really do matter.
    Last edited by ambrosse; January 14th, 2015 at 07:14.

I'm doing some interviews in Edinburgh this year and I'll be giving out extra points for female candidates who have made the effort to wear low-cut tops, tight skirts and stilettos. I think it's important that candidates dress appropriately.

The rule doesn't apply to frumps or boilers.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post
    I'm doing some interviews in Edinburgh this year and I'll be giving out extra points for female candidates who have made the effort to wear low-cut tops, tight skirts and stilettos. I think it's important that candidates dress appropriately.

The rule doesn't apply to frumps or boilers.
    Great point!
    Wear what makes you feel confident, without having your bazoombas popping out or your ass hanging out. Wear sensible shoes. if you know you can't walk in heels, don't wear them. If you feel the need: Heel height? Keep it under 2.5 inches, yes?

If it's your first suit and you're going to be laying down some serious money, I'd recommend black. It's more adaptable so you'll be able to match it with more shirt colours etc. Navy is a nice colour, but I'd recommend it secondary to black for a first suit.

The first year I interviewed, I work a black blazer with black dress pants and a while sleeveless blouse underneath. It wasn't a suit set per se, but it looked great together. I ended up being an alternate. When I interviewed last year, I bought a light grey pinstripe suit (YOLO) and wore a black sleeveless blouse underneath (I was shortlisted). I think it's important that whatever you buy looks great on you. I've seen people who showed a bit of personal style during the interviews make it in just fine. You will definitely want something dark (dark grey or black or navy) for when you get here, and it's never something that will be out of style.
    I came here to laugh at you.

It will be a black or dark navy blue pants suit, brand new. I'll have to buy locally because I'm so small that small sizes tend to fit differently on me from brand to brand. I don't mind dropping some money on a new suit. I needed one anyway.

Get it fitted by a proper tailor. It'll look a thousand times better.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    I am pretty good with online shopping. My favorite place for business attire is Express. They recently had a huge sale and I got an entire suit for about $150 It's well-made and looks great.
    If you're a Macy's kind of person (I love it), the Tahari brand has a good array of suits and they fit wonderfully and are a decent price.

I own a pants suit and a skirt suit, but also what I call a "dress suit."
    It's a dress, but it looks like a skirt suit. It's pretty awesome. It has a nice little blazer that goes with it. I'm leaning toward wearing that. There have been some people iffy on wearing a dress to the interview, but I'd rather wear a professional, perfect fitting dress with a blazer than a suit that I feel makes me look stumpy.

My overall suggestion? Wear professional attire that makes you feel confident comfortable.

Edit: In addition, think about your shoes. They really do matter.
    I'm having such a hard time deciding if I want to wear my dress! I love it, but I'm not sure if it's 'professional' enough even though it's very conservative... yours sounds practical and comfortable, ugh I need something like that. I'm much more comfortable in a dress.

Home | Gap

literally it's that dress but in grey with a black colorblock around the skirt. It's at knee length for me and I wear it with an indigo-y blue blazer, black tights, and black heels.

Opinions? I'm going shopping to look for more potential outfits, too... but I do love this outfit!
    Last edited by weepinbell; January 14th, 2015 at 10:46.

I think "conservative but maybe not professional enough" is an apt description.

It could be fine. On the other hand do you want to be the only one not wearing a full suit? I'm not sure how it is for women but if I were in that situation I would not.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Lose some... oh, goddamnit Word!

Uh... don't wear orange. And whatever suit you choose, make sure it covers up your Tuxedo mask tattoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I don't know enough about fashion, but that dress says to me night out on the town more than it says business professional.

I agree with Zolrak on this one. The dress is cute and it's simple and relatively conservative, however, it doesn't really scream total professional either. It's a tad bit casual.
    Maybe look around for some pants/skirt suits or perhaps a two piece suit (aka what I call a "dress suit") if you like wearing dresses

It's fitted and actually doesn't look casual on me..... However. I literally just tried it on again and I look like I'm going to a tea party in it because the skirt is so ridiculously frilly lol. I also tried on an a-line skirt that needs to be re-hemmed so I think I might just do that, wear it with a black/white blouse and my indigo blazer and call it a day.

Unless I accidentally find something super cute while shopping. TBD.

Thanks so much everyone!

Last year there was major snow the day of my interview and I ended up not even removing my red boots. I still got on the waiting list, apparently.
    Apart from that, I had a dark blue skirt suit and a pale blue blouse. I have to admit that, this year, I will probably get a black suit and have it fitted, but stick with a coloured shirt. I can always wear the blue one when I get the job!

I always wonder, though, do we even get "graded" on what we wear?

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    I always wonder, though, do we even get "graded" on what we wear?
    It probably depends. I went to my interview in a scarf and tweed jacket, because I'm a $£%£&$, and nobody minded at all. I just dressed in what I normally wore to teach. Note that I'm not suggesting this, of course - just saying it worked for me.

Plus, it was a cold day.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

While this is similar to the whole "what should I wear debacle", what about nails? I like getting mine done because my normal nails are usually pretty haggard looking (nail biting, I know bad habit. Must break.) Do you think a short french manicure would be acceptable, or dare I say maybe a subdued neutral color? I don't think they'll be looking at my hands all the time, I just want to make sure I'm professional looking from head to toe, or fingers, in this case.

I would say a stay away from color, keep them trimmed as short as you can comfortably have them and nicely manicured.

In schools, most women do not wear color and keep their nails trimmed very short. A few "bad" girls wear color and have a little length, but no teacher in her right mind would dare do such a thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I would say a stay away from color, keep them trimmed as short as you can comfortably have them and nicely manicured.

In schools, most women do not wear color and keep their nails trimmed very short. A few "bad" girls wear color and have a little length, but no teacher in her right mind would dare do such a thing.
    Slight addendum - decorative nail art is becoming slightly more popular around here, it seems. Still, not exactly what I would suggest wearing to an interview.

I've been going through my closet to decide on an interview outfit as well. I wear professional dresses to work almost everyday and will likely wear one of those. I know most people are getting new items, but I already have so many I don't feel the need. I think, rather I am going to look for a new pair of shoes (I wear boots a lot during the winter, but they're probably not appropriate for the interview). I know people have mixed feelings about stores like JCP, but their Worthington line has great items and you can spend your money getting it altered if you need. Ladies, please don't forget proper foundation. Rather than spending $500 on a suit and then not wearing appropriate garments underneath, spend your money there. It'll help the clothing lay correctly on your body. And please don't think it's about your size (meaning smaller women don't need it); it's about the type of material, the cut of the fabric, and how it lays on your body. If I'm ever in doubt, I take the outfit to the store with me and try on the foundation/undergarments with the outfit to see how it will look. This is not the time to have VPL or spillage.