Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: SF Coordinator comments about driving...

Default Re: SF Coordinator comments about driving...

still, I would say 3 days to 2 weeks is closer to reality
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I wish you were snow right now, Ini. Because then I could follow up that post with a You Know Notice Snow....
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    I wish you were snow right now...
    That is inispicable!

Maybe it was a special deal the car lot had back then?
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; January 15th, 2015 at 15:02.

I've bought 8 cars over the years and none of them were ever driven off the forecourt on the same day.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    The way the Japanese drive you really dont want to be on a motorbike....
    I've noticed...

One of my random hobbies is watching driving videos from Japan, just cause the night views in cities is amazing, same with some of the rural roads... be it artsy or normal just driving with the car sounds no editing videos, about every 3-5 videos has someone almost side swiping a scooter or something haha. Not to mention the oddly hypnotizing accident cam videos. Went through a dark time about 2 months ago where thats all I watched on youtube for a week straight lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Maybe it was a special deal the car lot had back then?
    a special deal that ignored the legal requirements for transferring ownership of a car? To do it in one day you would need to get your inkan shomeisho the day before, get to the dealer first thing in the morning, hanko everything then the dealer would need to rush over to the registration centre, register the transfer of ownership then rush back and deliver the car to you. This is assuming you aren't in the vast majority of places that require a shako shomeisho. In that case you would need to go get a hokan basho shodaku shomei from your landlord then get the police to measure your parking space. On top of all that if the car is getting a new shaken then that will only add even more time to the whole messy affair.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Ini, assuming the shakken has been taken care of, then he could technically drive it off the lot. He wouldn't own it, nor would he have insurance on it right away, but he could certainly take it out. You don't need to own the vehicle if the driver has given you permission to drive it (We actually checked this back in August when my friend lent me his car until next week).

Also, you can get your inkan shomeisho the day you get there (I did it).
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Whos going to let billy big nose gaijin drive off in a car they dont own?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Also, you can get your inkan shomeisho the day you get there (I did it).
    yeah, but that'll eat into your time and if you are trying to pull off this amazing task of getting a car in one day every second counts

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

The brother of the supervisor who is selling you the car at an over inflated price :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

hes going to let a FOB round eye drive off in a car on only JCI?

Hesitant though I am to disagree with Ini, when we bought our old Nissan Cube, the dude let us drive it off the lot that day, and another JET I know was able to buy a car form a dealer and drove it home that day... and come to think of it, the dude I bought my van from let me drive it away that day... I dunno, man. Maybe it depends on where you live? Out here in the inaka, I don't think anyone really gives two shits.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

you live in the land of no parking regulations though. Try doing that in tokyo

Most Jets won't be in Tokyo, and those who are probably wouldn't bother with a car. That's what I
    assume anyway.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

how ghastly

I put a down payment on my car on the day I test drove it and could have probably done the paperwork that day, but the insurance guy couldn't come in. Then again it's a kei in the middle of the inaka so I didn't have to do the bullshit about proving I had a parking space.

Damn, I don't drive, so SF's comments are a little concerning. I'd love to be able to drive and have wanted to for ages, but there's absolutely no way I can afford lessons/tests/insurance/a car on my student loan.

It's alright, if I get accepted I'll just get a bike.

Lorenzo, exactly same position as me. I've wanted to for ages, but no money (especially with the absolutely tragic student loan we get in London), and on top of that - there's seriously no reason to need a car when living in London. I will be happy to cycle given a placement, might need to improve my fitness levels a little though; haha.

What are things like in the UK? Do you really need an insured car in order to actually acquire your license? Can't you just get the license? I mean, driving isn't hard. You could figure it out when you get here, so long as you've got your license.

I feel for you guys; in the 'States, it is ridiculously easy to get a drivers' license. You'd have to be functionally blind to fail the practical test, and it's dirt-cheap to get the thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post

I feel for you guys; in the 'States, it is ridiculously easy to get a drivers' license. You'd have to be functionally blind to fail the practical test, and it's dirt-cheap to get the thing.
    Yup, pretty much. You're over 18? Great! Read up, take the written test, get the permit. Drive on the permit for a couple months, take the practical exam, prove you're not blind, walk out with a drivers license. Don't own a car? Oh well, no one cares.
    I find just having a license (even though I don't own my own car) very useful. It's especially useful if your driver snaps their ankle and can't drive!