Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding other jobs in Japan

Default Finding other jobs in Japan

As somebody who did not receive an interview with JET this year, I'll be looking for others places to apply now. I know there are lots of listing on Gaijinpot and new ones all the time, but are there any other good job websites to check out?

I've seen daijob.com but I rarely hear anybody else talk about that place. What are your opinions about that website?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Finding other jobs in Japan

There's always Interac. From what I've been told, it's not a bad second choice.

You're not going to find an entry level english "teaching" job there. It's pretty good if you are a bilingual professional. I had some legal work off there before they realized I can't speak japanese and I gave up on life, living out my days at the bottom of a bottle.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I contacted Interac a few months ago and after a quick phone interview, they closed my application and told me they don't want anybody who is married. Probably just the guy I happened to speak with on the phone, because I'm sure married people are with Interac, but that's basically the only point the guy repeated over and over to me. I did think it was strange, as I specifically said I'd figure out the visa for her myself and she can come over with me or later on, whichever is easier for people.

If jet and interac both turn you down at the first hurdle perhaps Japan isn't for you?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I agree with Ini about daijob. You won't be able to find a job there unless you have business level Japanese.
    I would say that coming over with a family is hard. Not impossible, but super hard. How is your Japanese? Is it good enough to be able to interpret at City Hall and Immigration for the information that you need for her and to do it all on your own? Interac probably didn't want to have to send extra people out there to help with that sort of thing.

You may have luck if you find a small Eikaiwa school that is wiling to hire you both at once.

Well we have no kids, so it's just the two of us. That makes things a lot simpler than some other families I see going over. My Japanese is not business level. I could probably pass the N5 for sure, but I just haven't had the opportunity to take it yet. I know N5 doesn't really mean much at all though. I think my ability to read and recognize Kanji is a lot better than my ability to speak and listen, which is one of the reasons I really want to get over there and be immersed in the language more. My wife is also studying Japanese and knows some basics. I'm sure I could manage to do the dependent-visa paperwork for my wife. I don't really know how much is done in English at my local consulate and what needs to be done in Japan. I figured I'd cross that bridge when I get to it, and I don't expect Interact or any other employer to assist me in any way with that.

I've seen some jobs on Daijob that claim no Japanese, or minimum Japanese. Not teaching jobs, but jobs that I'd certainly qualify for. I haven't applied to anything on that site yet because I haven't heard anybody else talk about it until now, and I'm not sure I really want those jobs. I know it sounds strange, but I feel like it worsens my chances of learning Japanese and getting what I want out of being in Japan, so the more professional jobs are like a last-resort to me if I can't find a teaching job.

I know someone at AEON, and she actually loves it. I don't know how, as her hours are terrible and the daily work she does sounds a little depressing, but there are certainly other options out there. Your options might be at an eikawa. Gaijinpot may be a better site for you if Daijob isn't working out.

Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    and she actually loves it.
    So what you are saying is that they broke her will?

A good friend of mine (ex-JET) decided to go back to Japan and did so through AEON.
    The hours really do kind of suck especially if you want to have a good social life, but the pay is okay I guess.
    A 7 year old student stood up in the middle of one of her classes and said, in the most joyous tone ever, that she peed her pants. They evacuated the room to clean it up, but pee girl sat in another chair in a different room, so they had to clean that one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    So what you are saying is that they broke her will?
    I'm not sure if she even had one to begin with. Poor thing didn't even apply to JET because she "knew​" she wouldn't get in.

Quote Originally Posted by ambrosse View Post
    A 7 year old student stood up in the middle of one of her classes and said, in the most joyous tone ever, that she peed her pants.
    At least she was joyous about it?

she "knew​" she wouldn't get in.
    Oh come on!

If I was to quit whenever I think that way, I wouldn't be where I am.

I don't think I'd even be in college/University .

Oh come on!

If I was to quit whenever I think that way, I wouldn't be where I am.

I don't think I'd even be in college/University.
    Right? I don't quite understand it but, hey, it worked for her. I think he main concern was just getting to Japan, not what she did while she was there.

A chain school might be good. Aeon is really strict with their weird rules though.
    Like for example, you aren't allowed to
    socialize, in English, with Japanese people who aren't your students or you could get fired.
    Like...what?
    But most Eikaiwa have weird rules like that. Even if you get placed in a horrible place you could always go a year and then try to move. Not the easiest, of course, especially with very low Japanese skills, but possible. Usually the new school would help out so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    Like for example, you aren't allowed tosocialize, in English, with Japanese people who aren't your students or you could get fired. Like...what?
    What like, ever?

I know someone at AEON, and she actually loves it. I don't know how, as her hours are terrible and the daily work she does sounds a little depressing, but there are certainly other options out there. Your options might be at an eikawa. Gaijinpot may be a better site for you if Daijob isn't working out.
    A lot of people (especially JET) look down on Eikaiwa work majorly. But I get to sleep until noon everyday if I want. (I don't, but whatever) and I have at most 7 kids in a class. I actually get to teach them personally instead of jumping up and down and trying to keep their attention. For an ALT especially in elementary, there aren't a lot
    of opportunities to bond with your students and get to know them. I have over 350 and I know all of them, their weak points and such.
    So many look down on Eikaiwa, but it really depends on school and management. It can be a living hell, or an amazing place where you get to follow the student as they excel in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    What like, ever?
    Yeah. It's the dumbest and most impossible to enforce rule ever. But I guess it gives them reason to fire you at any moment...

A chain school might be good. Aeon is really strict with their weird rules though.
    But most Eikaiwa have weird rules like that.
    A lot of people (especially JET) look down on Eikaiwa work majorly.
    But I guess it gives them reason to fire you at any moment...
    I think there might be a link here.

I dunno guys, you're kind of selling me on Eikaiwa now.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    I dunno guys, you're kind of selling me on Eikaiwa now.
    You're... attracted to a lack of job security?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.