Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding other jobs in Japan

Default Re: Finding other jobs in Japan

I'm not really sure any Eikaiwa or ALT position offers that much long-term security. I'm more interested in getting to Japan, meeting people over there, learning Japanese, and maybe going on some hikes once in a while. If I get fired because I spoke English to somebody on the street, then at least I'm already in Japan and can probably find a new job a lot easier than from overseas. The money and hours with Eikaiwas aren't an issue at all. The only reason I'd prefer ALT is because of the specific stories of people having to be annoying salesmen at Eikaiwas, getting people to buy extra books or lessons, etc. That particular aspect doesn't seem like fun, but the rest of the things mentioned here, sure, no problem.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Eh, fair enough. I would advise you to consider why you were rejected from two major programmes though, definitely before you start searching for other positions. A lot of the same kinds of jobs have very similar hiring requirements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Now, snow. It is only a matter of time before Japan realizes its massive error and embraces the lad.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Heart will have anyone. One guy made it to Tokyo orientation last year before they discovered he was functionally illiterate and couldnt read the 3rd grade JHS textbook........
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Heart will have anyone. One guy made it to Tokyo orientation last year before they discovered he was functionally illiterate and couldnt read the 3rd grade JHS textbook........
    Please tell me this is a true story.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Eh, fair enough. I would advise you to consider why you were rejected from two major programmes though, definitely before you start searching for other positions. A lot of the same kinds of jobs have very similar hiring requirements.
    If only they would tell me, I could try to work on something to improve myself.

Honestly though, I'm pretty certain the only reason I didn't even get an interview with Interac is because I'm married. And as far as JET goes, the only thing I can guess at is that my letters of reference weren't unique enough. That's the only thing in the application I didn't get to see, and can't go back and review now. I suppose it could be the lack of teaching experience and Japanese skills, but I'm fairly certain many people get jobs at both of those places with those faults.

I like cheese
    Last edited by Ini; January 15th, 2015 at 09:53. Reason: probably shouldnt talk about this in open forums
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    If only they would tell me, I could try to work on something to improve myself.

Honestly though, I'm pretty certain the only reason I didn't even get an interview with Interac is because I'm married. And as far as JET goes, the only thing I can guess at is that my letters of reference weren't unique enough. That's the only thing in the application I didn't get to see, and can't go back and review now. I suppose it could be the lack of teaching experience and Japanese skills, but I'm fairly certain many people get jobs at both of those places with those faults.
    This might not be quite what you want to hear, but one of the first things I remember you posting was that you would come to Japan regardless of any outcome. Some of your posts have been a little... offish considering how new you are to the site. (Not that we have much to speak about, but we played nice when we were new then turn into what we are now).

How desperate did you appear in the letter? If you don't mind, why not post it up here and maybe we can help. Especially if you are going to use the basis of that for your other Japan job applications.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

And as far as JET goes, the only thing I can guess at is that my letters of reference weren't unique enough. That's the only thing in the application I didn't get to see, and can't go back and review now.
    Who did you ask? Uniqueness doesn't matter in those so much, so long as they clearly hold you in esteem. I've seen letters for people (for other jobs) where the writer was clearly trying to communicate that the subject was a fuckup, just in a roundabout way.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I think there might be a link here.
    Well yeah. Lots of chain schools are awful factories from what I heard. But there are diamonds in the rough and you usually find that in original (not chain) English Schools. If Ark wants to get to Japan no matter what, a chain school offers the ability to get him here and (probably) let him stay at least a year.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    Please tell me this is a true story.
    +1

By the way Ark,

If you are THAT dead set on Japan, it doesn't hurt to get a TEFL certification. Even if it's an online one. (Like the one I got)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    but we played nice when we were new then turn into what we are now
    Some of us made the change faster than others.

Edit : Think of it as if it were puberty.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Silly
    Last edited by itsabird; January 15th, 2015 at 14:37. Reason: Just being a バカーー
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

How desperate did you appear in the letter? If you don't mind, why not post it up here and maybe we can help. Especially if you are going to use the basis of that for your other Japan job applications.
    I made an outline answering all the bullet points I knew they wanted answered, and then just wrote an honest 2 pages about myself, the things I like about Japan, and what I want to get out of being there. I don't think I sounded desperate in any way. It's not that I wouldn't like the advice, but I don't really feel like posting such a personal essay on the Internet for strangers to read.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Who did you ask? Uniqueness doesn't matter in those so much, so long as they clearly hold you in esteem. I've seen letters for people (for other jobs) where the writer was clearly trying to communicate that the subject was a fuckup, just in a roundabout way.
    I asked two of my best clients who I am very certain would have nothing but good things to say. I've been a freelance software developer for the 12 years since I graduated college, and most of my clients come and go, or are out of state and I never meet face-to-face. The two that I did ask are both local, and both people that I've done lots of repeat work for.

If you are THAT dead set on Japan, it doesn't hurt to get a TEFL certification. Even if it's an online one. (Like the one I got)
    I've been seriously considering doing that, even if I'm already in Japan teaching while I'm getting it.

Have you ever proof read your own work? How about getting someone else to proof read it? You will never find flaws, typos or incorrect opinions in your own work, but you will in others.
    I used to hate proof reading my work, but when friends from different courses helped each other out, it really made a difference.

I know you behave differently on here to RL, but think about how you come across on here. Think about the other points I mentioned and address them.

shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

...and what I want to get out of being there...
    How much did you focus on this? You seem pretty driven to get to Japan for reasons far removed from actual teaching (judging only by what you've said here, of course), and that could potentially come across very negatively in an interview/evaluation situation.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyJones View Post
    Hey n00bs. I'm BJ
    There was a bit of a mocking tone in that thread, but the information is based on this very issue.

Have you ever proof read your own work? How about getting someone else to proof read it? You will never find flaws, typos or incorrect opinions in your own work, but you will in others.
    I used to hate proof reading my work, but when friends from different courses helped each other out, it really made a difference.

I know you behave differently on here to RL, but think about how you come across on here. Think about the other points I mentioned and address them.
    I know exactly what you mean. Yes, there were certainly a few grammatical errors and odd things that I read over 20 times and never caught. That's why I had other people proof it, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    How much did you focus on this? You seem pretty driven to get to Japan for reasons far removed from actual teaching (judging only by what you've said here, of course), and that could potentially come across very negatively in an interview/evaluation situation.
    I'd say it was 50/50. In other sections, I did focus on why I want to be an ALT, and how I want to interact with students/teachers outside of the classroom. I tried to make it clear that I was not going to be a shut-in or loaner who just shows up to work and leaves as soon as I'm allowed. I also focused on the volunteering I'd done over the past several years where I was a mentor for kids of all ages in a mixed setting.

I know exactly what you mean. Yes, there were certainly a few grammatical errors and odd things that I read over 20 times and never caught. That's why I had other people proof it, definitely.
    I was not trying to point that out, although that would also count. I was trying to point out hidden messages / meanings that may or may not have come across. Tone and the such like.