Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finding other jobs in Japan

Default Re: Finding other jobs in Japan

Yeah, I was not explicit about that in my last post, but it fell under "and odd things". I certainly reworked entire paragraphs and scrapped whole giant bits of the SoP on the advice of the people reviewing it.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Okay, you could approach it a little differently - maybe write down / think of the reasons that somebody might think you were a bad fit for japan, and then see how many of those might have been signaled/accidentally touched on in your applications.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Also, if you're intent on going to Japan then now is the best time. Most jobs begin in April at the beginning of the school year, so you should probably start applying.
    And I know it sounds silly, but you need to read the entire vacancy and fulfill all the conditions. My co-worker was hired only because she was the only person to follow the posting's requests to an "T".

Sure, any combination of these things could potentially be a flag, depending on who was looking at my application packet:

* Married
    * In my mid-30s
    * No actual teaching experience
    * No certifications related to teaching or Japanese
    * No in-classroom learning of Japanese language (only self-study)
    * Self employed
    * Wanting to switch careers to a much lower paying one

I'm sure there could be more. I don't try to dwell on any of those in my SOP. I did try to show what I could in a positive light.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I was not trying to point that out, although that would also count. I was trying to point out hidden messages / meanings that may or may not have come across. Tone and the such like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ark42 View Post
    Sure, any combination of these things could potentially be a flag, depending on who was looking at my application packet:

* Married
    * In my mid-30s
    * No actual teaching experience
    * No certifications related to teaching or Japanese
    * No in-classroom learning of Japanese language (only self-study)
    * Self employed
    * Wanting to switch careers to a much lower paying one

I'm sure there could be more. I don't try to dwell on any of those in my SOP. I did try to show what I could in a positive light.
    Considering most if ITIL had you down as a train wreck within a couple of posts maybe that came out in the essay / interview too?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Be nice, Stalin - we're trying to be helpful and see past that.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

There are listings for software developers all the time. Have you applied to any of those?
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    There are listings for software developers all the time. Have you applied to any of those?
    I believe he said something about wanting to practice Japanese and how he thought that kind of job wouldn't allow him to do so.

Sure, any combination of these things could potentially be a flag, depending on who was looking at my application packet
    * Married - Yes; although it would seem most applicants with dependents at least get to interview to explain how they'll work it.
    * In my mid-30s - Perhaps; unlikely, since I know plenty of JETs who were accepted at that age.
    * No actual teaching experience - Nope.
    * No certifications related to teaching or Japanese - Nope.
    * No in-classroom learning of Japanese language (only self-study) - Nope.
    * Self employed - Only if it led you to having poor references (which kinda seems like it)
    * Wanting to switch careers to a much lower paying one - Doubt it

And Interac probably cares about those things even less. So either you have poor references or there's something else wrong with your application. You said yourself that you're certain you didn't make any mistakes with the forms, so it must be in your SoP. Don't be so certain that there's nothing wrong with it if you've been rejected twice before the interview stage. Get past the blaming of external factors you can't affect and focus on what you can change.

Don't fall for the lame excuses rejectees make like how they never had a chance because they don't speak Japanese or have a TEFL course. The majority of JETs don't. That's just a way of making yourself feel better by avoiding the problem.

http://ilovejapan.tumblr.com/

That is actually the site that brought me here for the first time; I found it while looking something or other up during my application. It really reflects the inability of a lot of applicants (and successful JETs) to admit that they did something wrong.

Jiggit is right, and the odds are that either the letters or your SoP statements were off-mark. (Unless, of course, you disclosed some kind of contagious illness or said you received regular treatment for pressure sores.)

The SoP is 95% what YOU will bring to the table. The remaining 5% should be what you will get from the deal.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Do not work for an eikaiwa. It is a living hell to which the only exits are death or quitting.

If you actually get yourself to Japan it makes job applications infinitely easier. Anyone with a pulse and rudimentary English skills can get a job (not a good job, but a job) in Japan.
    Last edited by Tyr; January 20th, 2015 at 04:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyr View Post
    If you actually get yourself to Japan it makes job applications infinitely easier. Anyone with a pulse and rudimentary English skills can get a job (not a good job, but a job) in Japan.
    I've heard that quite a lot, but I've also heard that it's pretty difficult to get a job while you're there on a tourist visa. If only the USA had those working-holiday visas available as well...

Let's face it Ark. You're getting old. No one wants someone who's 12 years older than the rest of us. You're just a regular teacher at that point, not a gaijin who is hip and with the trends (according to what Japan thinks anyways. Because 99% of the English teachers I meet are NOT hip, and are NOT trendy).
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Let's face it Ark. You're getting old. No one wants someone who's 12 years older than the rest of us. You're just a regular teacher at that point, not a gaijin who is hip and with the trends (according to what Japan thinks anyways. Because 99% of the English teachers I meet are NOT hip, and are NOT trendy).
    98% of JETs start the program under 25 (or at least it seems that way.) But there are a few silver hairs who get through. Heck, there was a psych PHD who is was an ALT (he presented at TO 2013.) And there are at least 2 JET ALTs who are old enough to have silver hair - and from talking to them, they seem to get along with their co-workers much better than a lot of the younger ALTs.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I have a friend who's had silver hair since he was 10, does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    98% of JETs start the program under 25 (or at least it seems that way.) But there are a few silver hairs who get through. Heck, there was a psych PHD who is was an ALT (he presented at TO 2013.) And there are at least 2 JET ALTs who are old enough to have silver hair - and from talking to them, they seem to get along with their co-workers much better than a lot of the younger ALTs.
    Johnny is also one of the older ones and he made it through (although he is only staying the one year)
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    not a gaijin who is hip and with the trends (according to what Japan thinks anyways. Because 99% of the English teachers I meet are NOT hip, and are NOT trendy).
    I have yet to meet any ALT that is nearly as hip and trendy as they believe. Once you're out of uni, it really is all over.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by webstaa View Post
    In 2011 it didn't seem more than 60%. Weak yen and cutting of perks put off the silver foxes since then.

From what I can tell, most eikaiwas make you to live in the housing they provide for you, and most of those are single occupancy only. So if you're married, then they probably won't hire you.

If only they would tell me, I could try to work on something to improve myself.

Honestly though, I'm pretty certain the only reason I didn't even get an interview with Interac is because I'm married. And as far as JET goes, the only thing I can guess at is that my letters of reference weren't unique enough. That's the only thing in the application I didn't get to see, and can't go back and review now. I suppose it could be the lack of teaching experience and Japanese skills, but I'm fairly certain many people get jobs at both of those places with those faults.
    When I began contacting Interac they were discouraging too, because I'm married. I was persistent. Finally, I spoke with Richelle Trickle the General manager and she told me that they have married teachers. She said to mention it in your app only at the end when they ask if anyone will accompany you, but not to focus on it at all during the interview process. Just write that they will follow along later. She said that it's a pain for the company, so sometimes they try to avoid the applicants just to make things easier, but it is possible. After I spoke with her, I made sure that whenever possible I contacted her for information. I was hired for the Spring and I'm aware of 2 other married applicants who were hired as well. How far in the process did you get? Phone interview or just inquiring about info? It's really in the beginning when they try to stop you. When you make it through that part, it doesn't really seem to be a factor.
    Last edited by Risingfromashes; January 22nd, 2015 at 12:07.
    Took the road less traveled. . .now I don't know where the hell I am.