Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Finding other jobs in Japan

Default Re: Finding other jobs in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Risingfromashes View Post
    When I began contacting Interac they were discouraging too, because I'm married. I was persistent. Finally, I spoke with Richelle Trickle the General manager and she told me that they have married teachers. She said to mention it in your app only at the end when they ask if anyone will accompany you, but not to focus on it at all during the interview process. Just write that they will follow along later. She said that it's a pain for the company, so sometimes they try to avoid the applicants just to make things easier, but it is possible. After I spoke with her, I made sure that whenever possible I contacted her for information. I was hired for the Spring and I'm aware of 2 other married applicants who were hired as well. How far in the process did you get? Phone interview or just inquiring about info? It's really in the beginning when they try to stop you. When you make it through that part, it doesn't really seem to be a factor.
    I had started by directly applying on their website. I filled out everything on their very nice and easy to use form. The only place I mentioned I was married was the very bottom where it has the box to list people accompanying you. I just put my "My wife, [name]" in that box. I got a call from some a guy a few days later that lasted maybe 5 minutes or so. I specifically tried to mention that I'll do any paperwork on my own with regard to a dependent visa, but he just kept going back to talking about me being married several times. I also said that she can come over with me or several weeks/months later on, whatever is easier for people. He never explicitly said it was a problem to be married, I was just worried because he dwelled on that topic more than anything else. Every other question was just a customary "you have 12 years of schooling in English?" and "you have a 4-year college degree". A few days later, my application status was changed to withdrawn/closed and I got a short generic email from them.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    Johnny is also one of the older ones and he made it through (although he is only staying the one year)
    Yuppers. I'm an aged 32 now, but I was only 30 when I arrived in Japan. I'm also half-way through my second and final year.

Honestly, one thing that helped me is that in interviews I think I come off as pretty affable.

Another thing I told them was that I wouldn't be heartbroken if I didn't make it into JET. I told them I loved my job, and that if I didn't make it in I would keep trying to advance at my current job.

They seemed surprised by my answer, but it obviously didn't hurt me too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Another option would be getting into headhunting/recruiting. I have a bunch of friends that do that/have done that in Tokyo and it seems like a decent deal if you land with a good company.
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram

Headhunting is lower than Eikaiwa. It is the last resort of the shyster, under qualified and the desperate.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Headhunting is lower than Eikaiwa. It is the last resort of the shyster, under qualified and the desperate.
    i'm sorry you had a such a bad experience as a headhunter
    www.thejetcoaster.com

how ghastly, no i prefer guaranteed paycheques and not having the fear of being fired hanging over my head if I dont manage to convince 1 of the 500 people I call that week to jump ship.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Mr. Simmons, Sir, headhunting as the common folk know it is merely a term used to mean working for an executive search firm.

I'm sure everyone would enjoy the sport of hunting young men in the prime of their fitness as much as yourself; that is, if they had your keen senses, razor-sharp wits and private death lair on a volcanic island in an undisposed tropical location.

how ghastly, no i prefer guaranteed paycheques and not having the fear of being fired hanging over my head if I dont manage to convince 1 of the 500 people I call that week to jump ship.
    hmm everyone i know gets a guaranteed cheque and signing bonuses on top. of course you'll probably get canned if you don't perform but that is almost the case anywhere (except JET)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Mr. Simmons, Sir, headhunting as the common folk know it is merely a term used to mean working for an executive search firm.

I'm sure everyone would enjoy the sport of hunting young men in the prime of their fitness as much as yourself; that is, if they had your keen senses, razor-sharp wits and private death lair on a volcanic island in an undisposed tropical location.
    never looked at it like that
    www.thejetcoaster.com

the old gaijinpot forums were full of threads on recruitment horror stories.

the old gaijinpot forums were full of threads on recruitment horror stories.
    yeah i suppose everyone tries to show their best front when talking about their lives in person, so what i've heard could definitely be skewed. i'll try to look up those threads to get a more balanced firsthand account through the veil of anonymity. thanks for the suggestion, ini
    www.thejetcoaster.com

the general rule seems to be if you a pretty cut throat person who can handle the hard sell and dont mind stabbing your colleagues in the back you can do ok. "Senior" recruiters do ok but lots of people tend to flake out after 3months-1 year.

Also I've never met a successful headhunter who was a decent human being.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

My clearly jewish friend was asked to pretend to be the whitest american joe when he was working headhunting down in Tokyo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.