Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: placement preference question

Default placement preference question

On the app i said i had no preference to where i was placed if i get accepted. And i don't really. Just wondering if you guys know how non-preference people fare when the finally get placed. Are they usually put in the back arse of no where or is it random?
    Last edited by Liamers; January 16th, 2015 at 09:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Don't biro a swastika on your forehead the morning of the interview.

Default Re: placement preference question

I put no preference and I'm in a very nice part of Japan in an academic high school (which I would consider a better than average placement). When applying I did worry about whether it would seem like I wasn't interested in Japan enough if I didn't have any idea where I wanted to go in Japan but I've done pretty well I think. The only bad part is that when people ask me "why did you want to come to our prefecture/city" I have to tell them that I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I did worry about whether it would seem like I wasn't interested in Japan enough if I didn't have any idea where I wanted to go in Japan.
    that's what I was thinking. No harm to have a couple of prefectures in my head on the day in case they ask for an example

I put no preference as well and the interviewer asked me something like 'Are you OK with being placed in both rural and urban areas?'

I got placed in a rural town which isn't the worst compared to other ALTs in this prefecture. I don't think the placement is random either as my predecessors are from my province.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Some placements want very specific kinds of people from very specific areas - it seems like that trumps applicant placement requests.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

The only bad part is that when people ask me "why did you want to come to our prefecture/city" I have to tell them that I didn't.
    "It was a wonderful surprise"?

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I chose three places, figure'd I had a good chance to get em, what with qualifications/experience, and ended up in the middle of butt fuck nowhere.

My friend put no preference and ended up in kobe.

Random shit happens randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Just because Japanese people are nice and polite all the time doesn't make them idiots.

Still not sure about Americans though...

I seriously joke with the locals, "I was like buttfucknowhere-shi? In whothefuckcares-ken? Where the hell is that?". Best part, the locals love the joke because they get the same reaction anytime they're out of the area and tell someone where they live :P

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Placement preference or not, you get thrown into the mix like everybody. 90% of placement requests can't possibly be done anyways (like the 65% or so that probably puts down Tokyo/Osaka/Kyoto, if not more.) But if you aim broad (like - Hokkaido or Tohoku or Kinki/Chubu etc.) you might not be disappointed. I know two ALTs who requested Hokkaido and are in Kyushu and one other who requested Shiga prefecture and is in Aomori.

Every placement is different, so even in between different schools in the same town or small city can be two VERY different experiences.

EDIT: Also, when I get asked "Why this part of this prefecture?" I just say "For work" and then laugh a bit and tell them I didn't know about the town until I started the job. It seems to work better.
    Last edited by webstaa; January 16th, 2015 at 15:38.

Placements are anything but random. They basically work like this: JETs have preferences. Contracting Organizations (COs) have preferences. Tokyo tries to match those up to the best they can. If a Japanese-speaking with a driver's license JET says "I want some place in Shiga-ken with elementary school students" and the Shiga-ken elementary school BoE says "We want someone from the US who speaks Japanese and has a driver's license" then Tokyo might put those two together. I imagine that a CO's preference takes precedence over an individual JET's preference. For example, if you take that same JET but now remove their ability to speak Japanese, they won't be placed with that CO, since they no longer meet their requirements.

This is why those that pass the interview are called "shortlisters" - once you pass the interview, the matchmaking process begins. There have been times in the past where someone who passed their interview was unable to be matched with a CO, and they could not join JET. I personally have never seen this happen nor heard of it happen recently, and I would not worry about it at all if you are a shortlister, as it is extraordinarily rare.

If you put "No preference" for placement, then that just means that's one less thing that Tokyo will take into consideration from your side of the requests. It does not mean an automatic "Great, let's stick this person out in the boonies." Tokyo does take into account more than just your location preference - they also take into account notes that the interviewers send them. "Likes to go surfing," "Hobby is snowboarding," etc. I don't know how they weigh those though. I've known plenty of JETs who said that snowboarding was their life's passion and then were placed at the bottom of Kyushu. But I think they do a pretty good job overall - it's quite impressive for a handful of people in Tokyo to be able to place 2000+ JETs each year within a month and a half (or ~40 working days).

Additionally, I can say that your placement does not make or break your JET experience by that factor alone. There is a huge personality match factor that can't be surmised beforehand. I've known JETs who absolutely hate their placement, and then the next JET in that exact same placement absolutely loves it and stays there for 5 years. Even if you get the prefecture that you requested, you could be unhappy with your schools having strict teachers, or you don't get along with the other JETs in the area. Perhaps had you been placed on the opposite side of Japan, in a location that you would have never dreamed of going to, you would have gotten along better with the local JETs, had great teachers, and maybe met someone special. 5 of the JETs that were in my suburban city ended up getting married to a local. I don't think any of them had requested that location, but it worked out great for them. Other JETs in my area hated it and left after one year. You just never know.

That's why the unofficial JET motto is ESID - Every Situation Is Different (TM).

Thanks for that SF

Ya, I'm a five year jet after a string of one and two year jets (far more ones)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Ya, I'm a five year jet after a string of one and two year jets (far more ones)
    Same.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

I choose the sister cities/prefectures of my city/state, I remember reading that they do take that into account but I figure some cities/prefectures care more about getting people from a sister area than others.

I put "no preference" on my form and I was placed in Tottori-ken. When I initially stated I preferred an urban area, I was shocked to be placed in the least populated prefecture. However, I found out I was in the most populated part of the prefecture: Tottori City. There are a lot of people here and I live with a bunch of foreigners in the same building. We have such a great relationship! I also really enjoy my school even though it's on the low academic end because I have the freedom to teach whatever I want. A friend of mine is in Kyoto-ken, but is in a very rural city. She is not staying for another year, but I am. I guess you can never really tell based on the placement based only on the prefectures. Thanks to whoever it was that placed me in the urban part of my prefecture

There's two layers of placement don't forget.
    The BOEs tell Tokyo vague descriptions of the sort of people they would like, Tokyo then decides who goes to which BOE. And then at the BOEs someone has to decide who goes where. I remember the PA at my ken once told me all about how he decided my group's placements,

And yep. Its anything but random.
    I remember in my ken was one 'city' (rural county) where half the ALTs were from the same US state due to relations there, a guy with experience teaching in a really shitty area back home got sent to the really shitty high school here, guy into the outdoors got sent to the village of 2000 whose school only had 5 students, people with Japanese skills tended to be sent to the elementary schools whilst total Japan-noobs got the high schools, people from top unis and/or with teaching experience got sent to academically better schools, etc...

My placement was pretty lame. I often dream of how things might have been had only I realised more about Japan and been smarter with my placement options or had different luck....but nonetheless, despite these 'What ifs' and 'maybes' and 'it could have been better...' I still remember my Jet time fondly.
    Last edited by Tyr; January 20th, 2015 at 04:16.

It seems like it is a random process but yeah it does seem like there's a system for who goes where. Like some people already said, some BOEs are looking for certain kinds of ALTs. I requested a city in one of the less well-known/popular prefectures thinking I'd have a good chance of getting it, but I ended up with some tiny remote town 2 hours away from my first choice because the BOE had asked for an ALT of my particular gender/country, and I guess the organisers thought that was close enough.
    I would agree that JETs with Japanese skills are more likely to get sent to elementary schools because often the JTEs don't speak any English. E.g. the nearest JET to me (20 minutes further away from buttfuck nowhere) put no preference, has a Japanese degree and got EHS. However I also remember a lot of "no preference" people getting Tokyo placements that had only opened that year, but the downside to that was they had no predecessors, had to find an apartment when they got there and then get all furniture and everything by themselves. Some might say it's a good thing not to inherit all your pred's junk, but IMO moving to another country is stressful enough so I was pretty glad to have an apartment that was all ready for me to live in.

Hard to say what chance you have of your placement preferences being taken into consideration. I got more or less the exact opposite of what I put down for my placement requests. Clearly they didn't take my placement preferences into consideration one bit. Sucks but what's done is done. However, I wanted to raise a point about the driving question.

One item that does seem to make a difference is whether or not you check the "Do you have a valid drivers license are are you willing to drive" question. If you don't want to drive i.e. if you want less of a chance of being placed in an isolated location, don't check the box. This question apparently has more sway that any of the placement requests you make. I mistakenly checked the box thinking it would make my application look better, but being that I requested urban I never really expected to be placed in a rural, isolated location at least 4 hours away from any major metropolitan area that more or less requires a car. When I really thought it over, I realized that I had no desire whatsoever to drive in Japan and should've approached the question that way. In addition to being a headache, cars cost money meaning that you'll likely have to pay out of pocket for one soon after you arrive (unless you get lucky, but I've learned not to rely on luck with JET). It's an extra layer of stress I never wanted to deal with.

So don't make my mistake. Only check that box if you like driving and want to be rural. We'll never truly know what goes on behind the curtain in regards to placements and personally I find the lack of consideration given to ALT placement requests to be one of the major weaknesses of the JET Program based on what I've seen happen to myself and many others, but that's a discussion for another topic.
    Last edited by ticktockticktock; July 5th, 2016 at 11:02.

I didn't request urban and checked the box I'd be willing to drive, but ended up urban.
    It's draw names out of a hat levels of planning with placements.