Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eye care and glasses in Japan

Default Eye care and glasses in Japan

I get heavy migraines without glasses. I know to keep a prescription with me and all but I have the type of eyes that like to flip on me a lot and change.

I also have a condition where I need prism lenses. (They're a type of lens to fix a condition I have, it's not a condition you can see with the naked eye but I have a lot of double vision because of it. My eyes won't rest at the same level of vision, my left eye is trying to look higher than my right eye most of the time. Hence the heavy migraines.)

I'm not sure if prism lenses are even common enough to be able to have a replacement pair if my prescription changes? I have two pairs, a 'at work' pair and a pair more for outdoor/rough housing/sports.

Although I'm not in Japan currently, I intend on working as a teacher regardless if I pass the JET interviews or not.
    I also do not have vision insurance in the U.S. anymore after the first of March, so even if I got to Japan and needed replacements with new prescriptions, I don't have insurance to not pay $600 for a pair of glasses... any suggestions anyone? Are prism lenses known enough there even if I have to travel to Tokyo or Osaka to see someone about it?

I'm trying to be prepared for these things early while I still have a month of insurance left here in the states!

EDIT: it is a condition in which I have to always wear my glasses.

Last edited by JestersJ; January 17th, 2015 at 06:08.

Default Re: Eye care and glasses in Japan

Prism has been in option on every prescription slip I've gotten here.

your biggest enemy is under prescription, where they give you a weaker prescription so your eyes don't get 'lazy'. You have to argue with the opthalmologist at a lot of clinics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

All optometrists and ophthalmologists and opticians will all know about prism. It's a standard feature of lenses for professionals.

Also, you might actually get better turn around on lenses being here in Japan. I know many of the prism RXs we ordered were nikon specifics (based on the 4 and 5 series lenses) out of Japan. They were often faster than our local labs (and that's sad as from japan was about 2 weeks).

You also won't need to go to a big city so long as someone can translate for you where you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I heard the way to get around getting a crappy prescription to getting one that actually allows you to see is to tell them you need to see well enough to drive.
    BAM! A prescription that should allow you to see fairly well.

Their definition of well-enough to drive is being able to tell which side is open on a C. The clarity of the shape doesn't matter, just being able to see the blank area.

if you want to be close to the kind of prescription you'd get in America, you're likely going to have to fight for it.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    if you want to be close to the kind of prescription you'd get in America, you're likely going to have to fight for it.
    That's actually kind of depressing.

Is this because of the whole, "We know better" way of thinking followed by doctors over there or is there another reason?

I'm hoping to be able to just hand them my prescription and get any spare pairs I need that way then...

Thank you all for the feedback! Helps a lot

They aren't gonna have to fight for it if there is prism in the lens.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Yeah, I'm more talking about nearsighted and farsighted prescriptions.

U da real mvp.

There is the belief that eyes get lazy? Where on earth did they get that idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

We call it lazy eye, but it's not. It's a sensory adaptation to eyes not focusing together correctly like they should due to a variety of causes, most notably reduced muscle control in one eye relative to the other.

If you really care, read this.
    Strabismus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A fair amount of eye doctors here seem to believe that if you aren't mildly straining to see things, your eyes will stop working to focus. (Or at least that is my understanding. Gizmo might know more about the reasoning, my opthalmogist(s) just told me I could see fine with my 'very strong prescription' that was weaker than the one I came in with.) In America it is considered to be an old wives' tale, and I never found any study confirming it. Judging by my students that still squint at the board, even though they have glasses and are in the front row, it is a pretty commonly held belief.

Edit: Oh look, beaten to the post.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 19th, 2015 at 08:19.

U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Judging by my students that still squint at the board, even though they have glasses and are in the front row, it is pretty common.
    That brings back memories, elementary school kids who's parents didn't believe they needed glasses.

Oh precious childhood memories.

That was a shop. Plus you had no vision change. My future will look something like this:

On the plus side, you do get to wear nifty Mad Max-style glasses instead of sitting behind the (insert apparatus name here) that they have in Murrica as they have you read the chart. So there's that.

I hear there are Eye Clinics that follow a more western approach, but I haven't found one in my prefecture yet.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 19th, 2015 at 08:36.

U da real mvp.

It's always all about you, isn't it, util?

Also you live in buttfuck nowhere in the 1980s. Try going to somewhere people under the age of 117 live.

We're in the 1970s, thank you.

U da real mvp.

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

On the plus side, you do get to wear nifty Mad Max-style glasses instead of sitting behind the (insert apparatus name here) that they have in Murrica as they have you read the chart. So there's that.

I hear there are Eye Clinics that follow a more western approach, but I haven't found one in my prefecture yet.
    I got a nifty machine. It was nifty.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Default Eye care and glasses in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    We call it lazy eye, but it's not. It's a sensory adaptation to eyes not focusing together correctly like they should due to a variety of causes, most notably reduced muscle control in one eye relative to the other.

If you really care, read this.
    Strabismus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Yeah, I've heard about lazy eye, but I'm positive it isn't caused by having a proper prescription. I could ask my parents about it though. Both of them are optometrists.

And for whoever cares, the nifty machine is called a phoropter.
    Last edited by johnny; January 19th, 2015 at 09:47.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

A fair amount of eye doctors here seem to believe that if you aren't mildly straining to see things, your eyes will stop working to focus. (Or at least that is my understanding. Gizmo might know more about the reasoning, my opthalmogist(s) just told me I could see fine with my 'very strong prescription' that was weaker than the one I came in with.) In America it is considered to be an old wives' tale, and I never found any study confirming it. Judging by my students that still squint at the board, even though they have glasses and are in the front row, it is a pretty commonly held belief.

Edit: Oh look, beaten to the post.

Ahh, when he said lazy eye I thought he meant the medical condition.

The "your eyes need to work harder" thing is just bullshit. Another old wives tale. Your eyes are working 100% all the time, and the less they have to focus to achieve precision the better off they are. They don't get weaker because you didn't use them, they get weaker over time because they are being used and growing old.

The eyes are one of the worst designed parts of the body and definitely do not have lifespans equal to the rest of our parts. They start failing at 40 and get worse from there.