Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Talk

Default Motorcycle Talk

Are there any riders in here?

I'm curious about all aspects of finding, buying and riding motorcycles in Japan.

My blind plan right now is to use public transport for commuting, and a small bike for putting around to places otherwise inaccessible. I'm going to be in Fukuoka if anyone has first had motorcycle experience with that area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shincantsen View Post
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Virgil View Post
    Gross. I hate people and their sexy times.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Motorcycle Talk

Pretty sure you'll need to get a Japanese license for bikes.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, he's from USA)

Hm I've got a funny story about driving scooters. Since it's not Japan related, I'll keep it for another day.

I have an IDP with motorcycle endorsement. Does that not fly in Japanland? I'll look it up here in a bit.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Hm I've got a funny story about driving scooters. Since it's not Japan related, I'll keep it for another day.
    Start a thread in the lounge, maybe? Funny story am happy snow make, as they say.
    Last edited by SomePeopleJustSaySnow; January 17th, 2015 at 08:10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Start a thread in the lounge, maybe?
    This is motorcycle talk though. I've seen more off-topic posts than that. I guess I could have put this thread in the lounge hehe.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

Oh no, I see no problem with this thread - I'm just thinking that it might be nice to have a 'how to screw up driving' thread in the lounge - I think most of us would have a few stories to tell.
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Oh no, I see no problem with this thread - I'm just thinking that it might be nice to have a 'how to screw up driving' thread in the lounge - I think most of us would have a few stories to tell.
    Oh I was unclear, I meant to just tell the story in this thread

I like the idea for the driving thread though. Basically I want to hear the story.

I found this.. google is a hell of a thing

http://www.thejapanfaq.com/bikerfaq-menkyo.html

Looks like IDP is fine according to this website.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

I rode a lot in the 'States but have never bothered to get my M-license here in Japan. Page did, though, I believe.

Your IDP will work for one year. After that, you'll hafta get the Japanese M-license.

Random stuff: Motorcycles are one of the more expensive hobbies one can enjoy here. Harleys are pretty popular here because people are dumb (same reason they're popular in the 'States, I guess). On nice days, you'll see lots of people riding, but a fairly large percentage of days in Japan are not all that nice for riding. Japan is probably one of the worst possible places to be involved in a motorcycle accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I rode a lot in the 'States but have never bothered to get my M-license here in Japan. Page did, though, I believe.

Your IDP will work for one year. After that, you'll hafta get the Japanese M-license.

Random stuff: Motorcycles are one of the more expensive hobbies one can enjoy here. Harleys are pretty popular here because people are dumb (same reason they're popular in the 'States, I guess). On nice days, you'll see lots of people riding, but a fairly large percentage of days in Japan are not all that nice for riding. Japan is probably one of the worst possible places to be involved in a motorcycle accident.
    So do you think it would be more economical to just invest in a kei car?

Where I live it is very economical to ride. Taxes are much cheaper, and liability insurance is dirt cheap. That was part of my rationale for buying a bike. If it isn't economical then I guess it would only be good for the fun factor.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

So do you think it would be more economical to just invest in a kei car?
    Yes, but I wouldn't, because I'm not a fan of kei cars. That said, the first time you hafta go somewhere in the rain or snow, you'll probably be glad you've got an actual car. I've done my time on two wheels in sh*t weather, but these days, I'm a fair-weather rider and I'm not ashamed of it. Commuting to school on a bike is cool and all but it will get old in the winter or the rainy season.

Where I live it is very economical to ride. Taxes are much cheaper, and liability insurance is dirt cheap. That was part of my rationale for buying a bike. If it isn't economical then I guess it would only be good for the fun factor.
    Eh, I mean, it'll probably be a little cheaper, but not significantly, especially if you're comparing it to a kei. It just depends on what kind of bike you've got, how much money you wanna sink into gear and sh*t, etc. It just doesn't seem to me that a bike is gonna be all that practical, really.
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Like I said, it would be used more for exploring and joy riding rather than commuting. Just thinking a car might be a bit better as far as having the option to transport things when going shopping etc.

Want to expand on why you don't like kei?
    Last edited by Virgil; January 17th, 2015 at 12:05.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

That's very true. My husband bought a Harley shortly before we met (or else I might have talked him out of it ) and it's stupid expensive. But he likes it and its big enough for me to ride on the back and not have to hold on for dear life or else I'll fall off. We had a great time riding around Hokkaido last summer and he rides it to work on the weekends when it's not crappy weather, so he gets a decent amount of use out of it, but I agree that Japan is far from ideal for riding. He told me he picked an obnoxiously large bike on purpose because he was worried people would hit him on a smaller one since Japanese drivers be crazy.

As for the cost part, I helped him order parts for it to be delivered in the US and we picked them up and took them with us in our luggage when we visited my family. Everything in Japan is at least twice as expensive as the parts/merchandise in the US. That might be less true for bikes that are Japanese brands, however.

Can't help you for the licensing stuff since I don't have a bike license.

I think Harleys are far too overpriced to be reasonable. I was looking at a 400cc Honda or such.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015

I don't know about Word, but for me it comes down to a lack of power and a lack of protection.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    order parts for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    I don't know about Word, but for me it comes down to a lack of power and a lack of protection.
    Pretty much what Ant said. I'm not a performance nut or anything, but keis are so weak that driving them around feels like some sort of a sick joke.

Primarily, though, it's because I like MG's legs. They're quite sexy, but they're also fully functional and still attached to her body, and I'd really like for them to remain that way. So, no kei cars.
    Last edited by word; January 17th, 2015 at 20:04.

kei cars aren't real cars. The havent got enough power to go up hills and a light breeze will force the engine block back into the passenger compartment. A little subaru sambar truck for moving shit around or a suzuki jimny for arsing around on the beach are fun little toys to have as second cars but I couldn't imagine using one as my primary means of transport.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Primarily, though, it's because I like MG's legs. They're quite sexy, but they're also fully functional and still attached to her body, and I'd really like for them to remain that way. So, no kei cars.
    I guess there's no need for me to post my guide to amputee adult films.
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Depends on whether they contain motorbikes, I suppose.

Harleys serve their purpose if that's what you're into. They are also actually really reliable if you get an EFI model, it's not like you're riding around on some AMF relic (or are you?) ffs.
    OP said (s)he wants a 400 or under so maybe get an Yamaha SR? You can pick them up for fairly cheap and they make a nice base for pretty much any style of customization. Either that or you could be totally original and leave it stock I had a 400 Honda Shadow when I first moved back. Not a bad bike, tad on the heavy side though once you take those CCs into account.
    Kyushu in general is a great area for riding. Make sure you hit up the Yamanami highway while you're here. Lots of nice roads down in Kagoshima too!

Whoa this is one of my first threads zombified. I've lived in Kyushu for 7 months now and still haven't got a bike. I've had a variety of makes and models in the US, and my favorite was my Shadow 1100. If I could find a 400 Shadow that would be awesome. As it stands I already got a car and it's costing me an arm and a leg. I might graduate to two wheels once I settle on how long I'm going to stay.
    Frigga please.
    RIP Virgil of 2015