Thread: Spousal Visa Requirements

Default Spousal Visa Requirements

When it comes to spousal visas, obviously girlfriend/fiancee does not count, only legally married partners can apply.

But what paperwork is expected to be supplied to attest to this?

Case in point-- my wife and I have a Japanese marriage certificate. Would that work as documentation or do we need to provide some sort of American marriage paperwork?

Thanks!

Default Re: Spousal Visa Requirements

Why do you have a Japanese marriage certificate? Is she a Japanese national?

Anyway, I would think a japanese certificate would be fine. It is the country you're going to anyway. It's not like you're trying to go to vietnam on a japanese certificate.

I don't remember giving them any documentation from the US when I got mine, but that was a while ago so I could be misremembering, plus I was in Japan already and married to a Japanese national so my situation was a bit different.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by starfish View Post
    When it comes to spousal visas, obviously girlfriend/fiancee does not count, only legally married partners can apply.

But what paperwork is expected to be supplied to attest to this?

Case in point-- my wife and I have a Japanese marriage certificate. Would that work as documentation or do we need to provide some sort of American marriage paperwork?

Thanks!
    All you need is your marriage certificate. In your case, your wife's Koseki tohon with your name on it will be fine.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

Thanks!