Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Hey there everybody. I am sorry to be the guy that swoops in with a question before contributing, but I have no choice at the moment. Hopefully I can give back in the future.

    I am the type of person to cover all my bases so I've applied and been accepted to several jobs abroad for the spring semester. I wasn't necessarily expecting this JET interview callback but there it is in my inbox. Now I have a dilemma. INTERAC has already started applying for my Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. If I then decide to reject INTERAC's offer and accept JET's will I have issues with getting a visa?

    Thoughts?

    Also has anyone been given or heard of an earlier notice of acceptance than April? It is a little late for me to find out if I pass the interview stage as I have another offer to consider.

    Best regards and thankyou for your time,

    -Gahrok

  2. #2
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    At this point in time JET is still a maybe. Don't screw up a confirmed job for a maybe
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  3. #3
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,765

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    do you really want to go with interac? probably worth rolling the dice
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    First of all: thank you very much for your responses!

    @Ini

    I also have a Korean public school job offer as well, although I'm waiting for the paperwork to go through before I consider it a done deal.

    JET is certainly better than Interac, but on par with my Korean offer. Unfortunately I'd leave for Korea mid-april, which precludes my original idea of waiting until I see if I got JET as well then deciding. And as Sharp has pointed out, JET is no gaurantee, and I really don't fancy waiting another year. Not when I've spent a lot of time and effort seeking out my best options in Asia this year and have a five year plan for work and school.

    @Sharpinthefang

    How did you find the switch from Interac to JET and did you have to fly back to your home country to do so? I agree with you that it seems silly to throw away a confirmed job for a maybe, but turning down the interview also strikes me as rash.

    Thanks for your thoughts.

  5. #5
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,765

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Sharp isnt a JET.

    Go for Korea if it pays better than interac and is a done deal.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  6. #6
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Yeah, Korea is basically just Japan with better food, more advanced tech, and ruder Asians, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    From my extensive research I can confirm that Korea is probably better so long as you don't think girls need bottoms.

  8. #8
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    If you also have a confirmed offer for Korea, go there.
    I was upgraded and asked to go to the butt fuck of Hokkaido. By that point I was already settled where I am, plus I don't like the cold so i turned it down.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  9. #9

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by sharpinthefang View Post
    I was upgraded and asked to go to the butt fuck of Hokkaido.
    Damn, Snow, you gotta take it a bit more slowly. Take them for coffee a few times at least!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Damn, Snow, you gotta take it a bit more slowly. Take them for coffee a few times at least!
    The Ballad of Snow's Nights:


    Link fixt
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; January 20th, 2015 at 19:14.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  11. #11
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by gahrok View Post
    Hey there everybody. I am sorry to be the guy that swoops in with a question before contributing, but I have no choice at the moment. Hopefully I can give back in the future.

    I am the type of person to cover all my bases so I've applied and been accepted to several jobs abroad for the spring semester. I wasn't necessarily expecting this JET interview callback but there it is in my inbox. Now I have a dilemma. INTERAC has already started applying for my Certificate of Eligibility in Japan. If I then decide to reject INTERAC's offer and accept JET's will I have issues with getting a visa?

    Thoughts?

    Also has anyone been given or heard of an earlier notice of acceptance than April? It is a little late for me to find out if I pass the interview stage as I have another offer to consider.

    Best regards and thankyou for your time,

    -Gahrok
    I can give you some insight on this. When a company starts to apply for your CoE, and then they cancel it, or you don't use it, you do get flagged in our system. You should not have any problems getting your visa through JET since applicants are not granted a CoE. Consulates are sent instructions, and a list with the names of the JETs and their dependents, and we issue visas accordingly.

    Your biggest issue will be if you are not short listed. CoEs must be used within 3 months of their issue date. Essentially, your CoE from interac will expire long before you depart in July/August(if you are short listed), however, if you do not make the cut, and try to apply through interac or another company again, you may run into problems.

    Best of luck,

    MC
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    I can give you some insight on this. When a company starts to apply for your CoE, and then they cancel it, or you don't use it, you do get flagged in our system. You should not have any problems getting your visa through JET since applicants are not granted a CoE. Consulates are sent instructions, and a list with the names of the JETs and their dependents, and we issue visas accordingly.

    Your biggest issue will be if you are not short listed. CoEs must be used within 3 months of their issue date. Essentially, your CoE from interac will expire long before you depart in July/August(if you are short listed), however, if you do not make the cut, and try to apply through interac or another company again, you may run into problems.

    Best of luck,

    MC
    Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Do you think JET would look unfavorably on my having applied with Interac when they see the flag in their system?

  13. #13
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by gahrok View Post
    Thank you, this is exactly the information I was looking for. Do you think JET would look unfavorably on my having applied with Interac when they see the flag in their system?
    Absolutely not. There are many people in your exact same position every year. They often have Interac/other companies on stand by just in case they are not short listed.

    Since JET participants teach English through a government sponsored program, it is different than the private English school route. There is no CoE, or long approval process. If you were not short listed, and tried to apply for another private English school in Japan though, you might run into some problems there depending on the company. They may not want to hire someone who bailed on another company after agreeing to work for them. Just food for thought.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  14. #14
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,063

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Miami, how would the other company applying for a CoE know that the applicant had previously turned down a CoE. Does the embassy inform them of this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  15. #15
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Miami, how would the other company applying for a CoE know that the applicant had previously turned down a CoE. Does the embassy inform them of this?
    To obtain a CoE, the company needs to apply to the ministry of justice, which has a national database of people who have applied. When someone pulls out of a contract, the first thing the company will do is inform the ministry of justice that joe shmo doesnt work for them anymore. If you were to get in trouble, they do not want to be associated with you.

    This is the only way the other company would know. The ministry of justice would tell them "so, joe just applied for another coe a few months ago" then they make their decision.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    I'm going to go ahead and piggyback on here with a similar question. Hope that's alright

    My backup for JET was supposed to be language school in Japan on a college student visa beginning in July. I ended up abandoning that route because I assumed that if I had a CoE application in progress with immigration from the language school at the same time JET tried to hire me, I'd be in trouble, and maybe end up denied for both. I gather that's what happens if you have two traditional applications going at the same time.

    However, if I understand you correctly, this wouldn't be an issue for JET? My application for the CoE for the student visa would be processed by immigration around March through late May. So, this wouldn't interfere with JET should I be shortlisted?

    What if I'm a JET alternate, accept my student visa in June and then find out I've been upgraded last-minute by JET (knowing that walking away from the school would probably cost me a good chunk of money)?

    Thanks for any help you can provide!

  17. #17
    Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    510

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by echoblocks View Post
    I'm going to go ahead and piggyback on here with a similar question. Hope that's alright

    My backup for JET was supposed to be language school in Japan on a college student visa beginning in July. I ended up abandoning that route because I assumed that if I had a CoE application in progress with immigration from the language school at the same time JET tried to hire me, I'd be in trouble, and maybe end up denied for both. I gather that's what happens if you have two traditional applications going at the same time.

    However, if I understand you correctly, this wouldn't be an issue for JET? My application for the CoE for the student visa would be processed by immigration around March through late May. So, this wouldn't interfere with JET should I be shortlisted?

    What if I'm a JET alternate, accept my student visa in June and then find out I've been upgraded last-minute by JET (knowing that walking away from the school would probably cost me a good chunk of money)?

    Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Your situation is a bit different than the other posters because you would have been getting a student visa opposed to a work visa. Also, the timing would be very different as well. Your case would have involved the language school trying to apply for your CoE in May for a July departure. As you know, JET participants go to Japan in July or August, depending on your group.

    In your case, if you had kept the language school application open, your school would have had to cancel your CoE (considering it was processed in July) before we would be able to issue the actual visa. You cannot have two Japanese visas in your passport at the same time, so we are not supposed to issue visas if you have a valid CoE already in the system.

    In the case you are accepted with the language school and you were already in Japan when you were contacted with an upgrade, you could definitely see about an adjustment of status from within Japan (college student->instructor) however, you would be on your own to do this. I doubt your school is going to help you with immigration procedures since you are leaving their school and they would be out of money.

    People who are already in Japan can just get their status' adjusted and meet everyone else at Tokyo Orientation. They do not need to come back to the U.S. in order to depart with the group from the States.

    So, having an open CoE would not be a big deal as long as it is cancelled before your JET visa is processed.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

  18. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    So I have decided to take the interview just in-case my other jobs fall through or I have some huge change of heart in the next few months. Taking the interview isn't going to put me in any hot water if I refuse my placement in the future right?

    Cheers,

    -Gahrok

  19. #19
    Constant Fu*kup sharpinthefang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kyushu
    Posts
    2,151

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by gahrok View Post
    So I have decided to take the interview just in-case my other jobs fall through or I have some huge change of heart in the next few months. Taking the interview isn't going to put me in any hot water if I refuse my placement in the future right?

    Cheers,

    -Gahrok
    Read above, the answer to this question has already been mentioned at least twice.
    Accepted with Interac on 13th May 2014
    Upgraded with JET on 7th October 2014...

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_Simmons View Post
    shit, i've realize that i picked the wrong time to reply directly the thread's original question...

  20. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4

    Default Re: Certificate of Eligibility Concerns

    Quote Originally Posted by miamicoordinator View Post
    So, having an open CoE would not be a big deal as long as it is cancelled before your JET visa is processed.
    Thanks for the advice. I still have time to apply for language school - maybe I'll do so.

    Is cancelling a CoE, granted or still processing, a long or difficult process? Since I will hopefully get a yes or no from JET in April, that gives the school until July (when JET visas are processed) to cancel the CoE, then, correct?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •