Thread: Cats in JET

Default Cats in JET

I have two darling cats that I will be sad to leave behind if this is the route to Japan that I take, however I am willing to do it for Japan (knowing that they will be able to stay with my parents for the interim).

I KNOW no cats/dogs in JET. I've read that and there's no need to point that article out again. What I want to know is if anyone has ever known anyone to get into JET, find out that their apartment/situation works for having pets and then if they've gone back to their home country to get their animal(s).

I realize there are a host of things to do in a particular order at particular times in order to get them into Japan safely, I'll worry about that side of things...I basically just want to know if someone on this forum is of this description or knows someone who knows someone, just to know if it's a possibility at all. And again if I can't this won't mean that I won't do the program, I'm just curious.

Thank you!

Default Re: Cats in JET

Is Taking Your Pet on an Airplane Worth the Risk? | Travel | Smithsonian

get a new cat in japan rather than kill the ones you already have
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I knew a couple of people who were ALTs who took in strays here, but then they had to beg people who came next to take care of them and that is just weird and a kind of crappy thing to do to a pet.
    So I don't know about anyone bringing animals over, but it usually stresses out the animals so much I would say try to avoid it at all costs.

Quote Originally Posted by driftingsong View Post
    I have two darling cats that I will be sad to leave behind if this is the route to Japan that I take, however I am willing to do it for Japan (knowing that they will be able to stay with my parents for the interim).

I KNOW no cats/dogs in JET. I've read that and there's no need to point that article out again. What I want to know is if anyone has ever known anyone to get into JET, find out that their apartment/situation works for having pets and then if they've gone back to their home country to get their animal(s).

I realize there are a host of things to do in a particular order at particular times in order to get them into Japan safely, I'll worry about that side of things...I basically just want to know if someone on this forum is of this description or knows someone who knows someone, just to know if it's a possibility at all. And again if I can't this won't mean that I won't do the program, I'm just curious.

Thank you!
    its been done by former ITILer-cum-pariah daddyatemyfries. You need veterinary checks , vaccinations, and paperwork started months in advance. They need to be microchipped before coming. There is a possibility that the animal could be kept in quarantine for a long time anyway.

few apartments allow cats. Most landlords see them as destructive. It is, in fact, easier to find places that accept dogs.

youll need to keep up on vaccinations while here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguee View Post
    I knew a couple of people who were ALTs who took in strays here, but then they had to beg people who came next to take care of them and that is just weird and a kind of crappy thing to do to a pet.
    Crappy thing to do to a successor. "Oh, here's a living thing. Enjoy the responsibility, sucker!"
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Crappy thing to do to a successor. "Oh, here's a living thing. Enjoy the responsibility, sucker!"
    Crappy and irresponsible thing to do all around!

My cats are my cats. Period. I would never leave them with a random person when I leave. I teach internationally currently and know many people who have brought cats overseas, and know someone in Japan know who brought her healthy cat from the US to Korea and then to Japan. I have also spoken with people who work at international schools in Japan who say that it is "no problem" finding a place for cats, but I also realize the case of these schools you live in a city and choose the accommodation yourself. It is quite different from JET. My cats are both healthy and are two years old. I would only move them in a very particular circumstance - that being 1. having housing that could accommodate them, 2. having access to a vet who could properly prepare documentation for if/when the animals ever left Japan, 3. if the community in which I'm living is not too far from the airport in which I would have to drive them from. Again they would be left in Canada, and I would provide the money and know-how for my parents to properly prepare the cats for entrance into Japan. I would not come into Japan my first year with two cats in tow. I am not COUNTING on moving them, only asking if it is even a remote possibility.

but answer so far seems to be no one knows of someone who has, which is fair enough, as there are many things to consider when bringing animals over for a JET placement...and as stated I only would if certain circumstances worked out

Quote Originally Posted by driftingsong View Post
    but answer so far seems to be no one knows of someone who has
    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    its been done by former ITILer-cum-pariah daddyatemyfries.

U da real mvp.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

I understand you love your pets and all, but do you really wanna make them go through that?

It's bad enough for humans to move on to another country, even worse for animals.

The JET Programme--Official Homepage of The Japan Exchange and Teaching Programme

question 8.7 looks like it's a no I'm afraid. Unless you get them sent over once you find out if your apt will allow them and just not tell JET
    Quote Originally Posted by SomePeopleJustSaySnow View Post
    Don't biro a swastika on your forehead the morning of the interview.

It has been done, sorry uthinkimlost? skimming skills FAILED me this time clearly. Happy to know someone managed to do it, though I well know that may not be me.

Liamers I have already read that, which is why I wouldn't bring them with me the first year and would only bring them over under specific circumstances, which would include happening to be in housing that allows cats and talking it over with the appropriate people in Japan. The appropriate circumstance may very well not occur, and I am prepared for that, I already know my cats have a home with my parents for the duration of the time I am away. I am looking at other options in Japan as well, which would allow for the cats (mainly international schools, as I am a qualified teacher) but it's competitive so whether or not that will happen remains to be seen. As much as I love my babies, if they have to remain with my parents for the duration of my time in JET, so be it. It will be worth it for the experience, and I'll not be walking away from them permanently.

also thank you all for help in answering this question!

Cats are not allowed to apply for JET. We've found it extremely difficult to get all of their paperwork turned in on time.

To really answer your question though, yes it is certainly possible to bring a pet with you on JET. The JET Program does not prevent you from bringing in a pet. The only thing that would prevent you from bringing your pet would be your apartment's rules and restrictions. Many apartments have this restriction. You would have to first check with your landlord to see if it would be alright to bring a pet. If there is no problem with keeping a pet where you live then by all means, feel free to do so.

In order to bring your cat (or any pet) to Japan you would have to follow the procedures in place, just like anyone else moving to Japan who brings their pet with them. The fact that you obtained your job through the JET Program would not affect the regulations that you have to follow. However, what is different is that your job begins the second you step off that airplane into Narita airport. You must follow the other JETs to get to the hotel and spend the next three days at Tokyo Orientation. There is no time for you to be able to take care of the necessary paperwork and procedures at the airport to bring your cats in at that time. So your cats would be left in a cage until you can come back to Narita airport to follow the procedures. I believe that part of the process involves the cats having to go through tests, which also take a few days to complete. By the time the entire ordeal is done your cats / pets would have been locked up in a cage for ~1-2 weeks.

I've read is that it's a very tramating thing to put your pets through, and that caring owners should not force that situation upon their pets. What I believe most JETs do who want to have their pets with them while in Japan is have a family member or a friend bring them to Japan at a later time when both the JET and their guest can stay in Tokyo long enough to take care of the procedures in a quicker manner. However, as others have pointed out, it is a very expensive and time consuming process to make sure that everything is in order before they even depart for Japan.

To sum up, if you are dead-set on bringing your pets, it's a possibility. You will first need to confirm with your landlord that it's acceptable - if you get the green light, you can then have a friend or family member bring them to Japan at a later date.
    Last edited by JET ProgramCoordinator SF; April 16th, 2015 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by JET ProgramCoordinator SF View Post
    I've read is that it's a very dramatizing thing to put your pets through

?

Ghost of Ecru SomePeopleJustSaySnow's Avatar

No, no, no...

That kind of dramatizing.
    Old Snow wouldn't have said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    You are like the secret boss battle they only advertised back when the game was being developed.

Alright, I did some digging and found a few messages sent to DAMF asking about the cat. I'm editing a bit.

Process started in Novemeber of the previous year (keeping records of vaccinations, etc.) and the cat would be able to enter Japan in October of the following year. No quarantine was expected, unless he showed obvious signs of illness. The whole process was a little less than a year.

U da real mvp.

SF Coordinator's timeline is an absolute best-case scenario, and s/he's not including the procedures you need to follow in any other-than-designated region (designated regions are rabies free--Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Guam, and a couple of other small islands) which need to start a minimum of six months before you leave (it's probably too late to bring your pet to Japan when you come as a JET, tbh). You don't have to do all this, but if you don't, your pet can and almost certainly will be quarantined for months upon their arrival (the owner is responsible for the financial costs associated with this quarantine).

Here's a link describing what you need to do. If you're in a rabies-free place, you just might be in luck. If you're from the mainland US, it's gonna be a hassle (doable, but definitely a hassle).
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Alrighty thanks for all the info!