Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 102

Thread: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

  1. #21

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Getting swole in Japan ain't too hard these days. I second the suggestions about finding the nearest city gym. It will be about Y200 to train in the weight room. Theres lots of places to get a workout in though. Pullups during recess on the school field for example. I also bought a pullup station for my apartment from a departing JET (you can find the same one on amazon.jp) and hung up gymnastics rings (pellor, also from amazon) on there. Picked up an ab roller and a couple 20kg dumbells and I'm pretty good for home workouts.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

  2. #22
    Senior Member hiddenlee22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokushima
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Seems as though I have a few options, when/if I get to Japan. The gyms, from everybody's descriptions, aren't necessary "lacking", but they aren't equivalent to Gold's (for example). I am probably going to invest in some home equipment for certain exercises.

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    Pullups during recess on the school field for example. I also bought a pullup station for my apartment from a departing JET (you can find the same one on amazon.jp) and hung up gymnastics rings (pellor, also from amazon) on there. Picked up an ab roller and a couple 20kg dumbells and I'm pretty good for home workouts.
    How tall is the pullup station? I was just going to get a pullup bar, but if these apartments have some height...

  3. #23
    Cute Frankenstein genkispirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    When it comes to working out in Asia you have to remember two things.

    1) They don't have a huge bodybuilding culture out there, yet. It's growing but it's nothing like it is in the western world.
    2) Sociologically speaking, bigger men, are not attractive to Asian women, generally. I know my girlfriend wants me to lose weight, and I'm only 220, relatively lean.

    That being said, you can maintain your weight with Calisthetics you just might not be the next Jay Cutler. From what I found at the universities that I was at in both Japan and South Korea, it's not the equipment that you'll have an issue finding. It's the weight that will be a problem. The university I was at in South Korea they only had 4/20.5kg plates for the entire gym. That's enough to keep your chest/bis/tris in fairly decent shape. But your back and legs are gonna suffer with such a small amount of weight. The machines for legs, and even upper body only went to around 80kg. Which, if you go to the gym even 3-5 days a week for only an hour you'll notice will get very light, very quickly.

    If you're concerned about the height of a pullup station, just bend your legs.


    @Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still got that sick ride?
    Last edited by genkispirit; January 23rd, 2015 at 04:18.

  4. #24
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    @Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still go that sick ride?
    So many questions...

    So little time.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    satan's armpit
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Is there a stigma for women who like to workout in Japan? Specifically with weights? I know I shouldn't give a flying duck because I'll get flack wherever I go because I'm a gaijin... but I'm just wondering how many eyebrows I will raise when I ask people about women-friendly gyms.

  6. #26
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    None from what I've seen. It might depend on your placement but if you have a university nearby where theres a somewhat competitive judo team then you'll see plenty of girls who are 80kg of muscle and terror walking around.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    satan's armpit
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    None from what I've seen. It might depend on your placement but if you have a university nearby where theres a somewhat competitive judo team then you'll see plenty of girls who are 80kg of muscle and terror walking around.
    Sign me up, then!

  8. #28
    Senior Member Penguee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Tohoku
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by naginataonthebrain View Post
    Is there a stigma for women who like to workout in Japan? Specifically with weights? I know I shouldn't give a flying duck because I'll get flack wherever I go because I'm a gaijin... but I'm just wondering how many eyebrows I will raise when I ask people about women-friendly gyms.
    Most women here are terrified of getting muscle so the gym programs all claim that they won't make you overly buff.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    I was under the impression that there was a stigma everywhere against women working out with weights? I've met plenty girls back home who seem to think that they're going to turn into Arnie if they so much as look at a dumbbell sideways.

  10. #30
    Senior Member hiddenlee22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokushima
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I was under the impression that there was a stigma everywhere against women working out with weights? I've met plenty girls back home who seem to think that they're going to turn into Arnie if they so much as look at a dumbbell sideways.
    I've noticed that too. A lot of women have that mindset (lifting=Arnie). Not enough women know how to properly lift (or fitness in general).

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    satan's armpit
    Posts
    472

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    I've noticed that too. A lot of women have that mindset (lifting=Arnie). Not enough women know how to properly lift (or fitness in general).
    Yeah, this idea of weights making you turn into a bodybuilder overnight is nonsense. In fact, in order to lose weight and become lean, you cannot rely on cardio alone. Weights are a necessity.

    If I get into JET, i will hope that I get placed somewhere that has a decent gym. If not, well I guess I can invest in some free weights and watch fitness videos on YouTube (oh god, I'm already getting Jane Fonda vibes from this...)

  12. #32

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    When it comes to working out in Asia you have to remember two things.

    1) They don't have a huge bodybuilding culture out there, yet. It's growing but it's nothing like it is in the western world.
    2) Sociologically speaking, bigger men, are not attractive to Asian women, generally. I know my girlfriend wants me to lose weight, and I'm only 220, relatively lean.

    That being said, you can maintain your weight with Calisthetics you just might not be the next Jay Cutler. From what I found at the universities that I was at in both Japan and South Korea, it's not the equipment that you'll have an issue finding. It's the weight that will be a problem. The university I was at in South Korea they only had 4/20.5kg plates for the entire gym. That's enough to keep your chest/bis/tris in fairly decent shape. But your back and legs are gonna suffer with such a small amount of weight. The machines for legs, and even upper body only went to around 80kg. Which, if you go to the gym even 3-5 days a week for only an hour you'll notice will get very light, very quickly.

    If you're concerned about the height of a pullup station, just bend your legs.


    @Apollo87; I didn't realize you were L7frost. I watched your MTV Cribs apartment video a few years back. You still got that sick ride?
    Yeah, annecdotally in Japan being jacked appeals to a subset of women (growing, but still a small subset)..However it usually isn't a net negative. I would still much rather be tanked than fat in Japan. Also if you are a foreigner, the same rules don't really apply as much to you anyway. Just do what you want, swole on brotha.

    You're also right about gyms not having enough weights. My cheap city gym has a bench press with up to around 300lbs of weight that can be used for deadlifts and squats (yes, I squat at the bench station sometimes) and that is its saving grace.

    What's been relatively pricier has been getting a decent protein intake. These days, I dont care about price as much as taste and so I just order ON Whey from bodybuilding.com. Mmm..mocha

    I used to get this and it wasn't bad, especially for the price:
    Amazon.co.jp: グリコ パワープロダクション マックスロード ホエイプロテイン チョコレート風味 3.5kg: ヘルスビューティー


    Lastly, thats pretty funny that you stumbled upon my video haha. Here's a newer apartment tour - skip to 8:11 for my home training setup:


    Still got the roadster too^^
    Last edited by Apollo87; January 23rd, 2015 at 13:24.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

  13. #33
    Billy Big Bollocks Ini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    28,770

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    how ghastly
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

  14. #34
    Cute Frankenstein genkispirit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    86

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    Lastly, thats pretty funny that you stumbled upon my video haha. Here's a newer apartment tour - skip to 8:11 for my home training setup:


    Still got the roadster too^^

    Your apartment is an amazing size! You mentioned that you're on your last year on JET? with that apartment did you rent it yourself or is it through the JET programme? Will you be remaining in Japan after JET?

  15. #35
    The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    4,749

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    An apartment with a graveyard next to it... I'm having a weird sense of Deja Vu.

  16. #36
    Feckless Manchild Otaku word's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    日本
    Posts
    18,421

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    An apartment with a graveyard next to it... I'm having a weird sense of Deja Vu.
    I don't think I've ever seen a building anywhere in Japan that didn't have a graveyard within a few hundred meters.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by word View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen a building anywhere in Japan that didn't have a graveyard within a few hundred meters.
    No graveyard within a good 1km or so of my apartment. But there are a number of broken/miscarved headstones across the road...

  18. #38

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by genkispirit View Post
    Your apartment is an amazing size! You mentioned that you're on your last year on JET? with that apartment did you rent it yourself or is it through the JET programme? Will you be remaining in Japan after JET?
    It's way bigger than like a Leo Palace, but its also an old building and showing its age a bit. Also, I shot with a wide angle lens so my place actually looks more spacious than it actually is. That being said, it is a pretty decent sized place relative to other JETs. Its through JET, but I had to jump through some hoops to make the move. After JET, I've got a few options I'm working towards, a couple of which have me staying in Japan but it still remains to be seen how things will play out. We'll see!
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

  19. #39

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Yeah. Let me just catch the next ferry for the 2:15 hour ride and then walk 40 minutes to the park to pay 500 yen to use their weight room that doesn't even go high enough for a one arm dumbbell curl...
    Give me a break.
    Japan's workout culture is atrocious.

    EDIT: And don't even get me started on them not even having ONE pullup bar. WHAT GYM DOESN'T HAVE A PULLUP BAR!?
    Last edited by itsabird; January 26th, 2015 at 10:09.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

  20. #40
    Senior Member hiddenlee22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tokushima
    Posts
    234

    Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

    Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    Yeah. Let me just catch the next ferry for the 2:15 hour ride and then walk 40 minutes to the park to pay 500 yen to use their weight room that doesn't even go high enough for a one arm dumbbell curl...
    Give me a break.
    Japan's workout culture is atrocious.

    EDIT: And don't even get me started on them not even having ONE pullup bar. WHAT GYM DOESN'T HAVE A PULLUP BAR!?
    And there go my hopes for having a decent workout routine in Japan..along with any potential gains

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •