Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by hiddenlee22 View Post
    And there go my hopes for having a decent workout routine in Japan..along with any potential gains
    Bird is a special case, he lives in an isolated Island.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    Bird is a special case, he lives in an isolated Island.
    This is true. But the fact that the dumbbells only went up to ~25-30KGs ( i think) is ridiculous.

EDIT: And this is in a gym that's pretty big sized (major city on the main island).
    EDIT2: And by big size I don't mean as i the gym was big. cause it definitely wasnt. had like 5 machines and a rack.... but I mean as in it was in a center location.
    Last edited by itsabird; January 26th, 2015 at 10:17.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I need to buy some creatine for the gym... Been plateaued forever because of the lack of weights here. Also some whey protein would be nice...
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Quote Originally Posted by itsabird View Post
    I need to buy some creatine for the gym... Been plateaued forever because of the lack of weights here. Also some whey protein would be nice...
    bodybuilding.com

Probably cheaper to find in Japan after shipping, but I wouldn't even begin to know where to look. Plus the deals they have usually make it worth it for the extra money.

I second bodybuilding.com. Creatine and even just whey is really expensive in-store, if you can even find it. However if you don't have a Japanese credit card or don't to want deal with the hassle of paying off your credit card back home every month, then just order from Amazon.co.jp . You can usually do cash on delivery, selection is great and prices are usually as competitive as anywhere else online in Japanother than Rakuten.jp (sometimes).
    Last edited by Apollo87; January 26th, 2015 at 13:27.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

Most larger grocery stores (especially the chains owned by 7/11) will generally have sports supplements (including a variety of protein powders) in the drinks section. I haven't taken a closer look at what they offer (seeing as I have a high protein diet already...)

Credit card/gift card>Conbini pay>CoD. You can buy gift cards for Rakuten/Amazon at just about any major conbini as well. Plus you can schedule delivery if you pay at checkout instead of at a conbini or CoD.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

You will be surprised what fitness facilities are around you. My area is particularly lacking on weights, however the local boxing gym is pretty well equipped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Theres a chance you just might not find a decent place to get a work out with some weights at all. Personally, my city gym used to be really useless so for about a year I had a lot of fun experimenting with bodyweight training and trying to pick up some breakdancing and gymnastics skills. Your school will probably have pull up bars on the field outside and a judo room in the gym with matts or something. Maybe you could sneak off to during free periods to get quick workouts in.

Check Reddit's Bodyweight Fitness Community for lots of good advice and routines on how to get put on muscle, increase strength and pick up cool bodyweight skills like the human flag or bboy skills like windmills and flares without ever touching a weight. You might have to get creative but I dont think lack of facilities is a good enough excuse to let yourself go.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

I used to bboy and do gymnastics too! Before I dislocated my shoulder in the dumbest way... Was doing incline press, had an itch on my noise, thought it was a good idea to use my shoulder to itch it with a 60lb weight in my hand.... dumbest thing I could have done. It healed perfectly and everything, but then last weekend I accidentally pulled it doing a basic 6 step on a dirty dance floor in a club haha. I'm done with breakdancing.

My school unfortunately won't have any of that . They just tore it down and the old school's under construction. We're in portables pretty much. But yeah hiddenlee, you really shouldn't worry about getting a placement like mine. Mine is one of the biggest exceptions you'll ever see. And even then I still maintained most of my weight while being here by doing isometric exercises and bodyweight exercises.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

Just reordered from bcaa and optimum nutrition protein from Iherb, great deals all around there, free shipping too

I used to bboy and do gymnastics too!
    Haven't heard of too many bboys on JET (or at least here on ITIL). Nice to see some variety.

basic 6 step on a dirty dance floor in a club haha.
    I applaud anyone who gets up close and personal with a club's dance floor. The shit (literally) that has probably touched that floor...your hands will never be clean...

Lol. You think that's bad. My friend woke up the next morning complaining his hair felt disgusting. Apparently he got so drunk he put his head on the dance floor. Crazy nights. Crazy nights...
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

I feel dirty now.

if your dance floor isnt covered in broken glass then you're not going to the right clubs
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    if your dance floor isnt covered in broken glass then you're not going to the right clubs
    that same friend also found floor tiles that weren't glued down properly.... He picked them up and started dancing around the club with them. On top of that, he was awkwardly forcing all of his friends (including me) to dance with random girls and scared them away multiple times.

It was great fun.
    ⊂( ゚ヮ゚)⊃ Okinawa

On top of that, he was awkwardly forcing all of his friends (including me) to dance with random girls and scared them away multiple times.
    Oh, I hate the friend who gets handsy and then tries to pin it on the rest of us.

Oh, I hate the friend who gets handsy and then tries to pin it on the rest of us.
    I'm fond of the ol' "get handsy and if she doesn't like it say someone 'bumped' you" approach

I'm fond of the ol' "get handsy and if she doesn't like it say someone 'bumped' you" approach
    You know we can see through that crap, right?

You sure we don't know each other?

Cause you are starting to sound like my buddy from Jersey.

You sure we don't know each other?

Cause you are starting to sound like my buddy from Jersey.
    That buddy of yours must have been one cool cat.

That or you're secretly one of the two Puerto Ricans I've ever met (oddly enough, both named carlos) and are stalking me.