Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

Default Re: Gym life (fitness) in Japan?

As a poor college student, I did HIIT exercises in my house a lot... I guess it depends how big your place ends up being, but it's doable. I used to do the youtube ones all the time, Cassie Ho and stuff haha - most of it is designed for smaller workout areas.

Anyone know a thing or two about the yoga scene in Japan?

I have a feeling that my best bet for getting a variety of workouts is going to be through YouTube channels like BeFit.

Quote Originally Posted by weepinbell View Post
    As a poor college student, I did HIIT exercises in my house a lot... I guess it depends how big your place ends up being, but it's doable. I used to do the youtube ones all the time, Cassie Ho and stuff haha - most of it is designed for smaller workout areas.

Anyone know a thing or two about the yoga scene in Japan?
    Hopefully room isn't an issue, but I'd be nervous with neighbors with all the noise from jumping around.

+1 on the yoga. Recently got into it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddingHead View Post
    A perfect representation of who I am.

A cold, dead fish.

If you're following along to a video, room probably won't be as much of an issue as repeatedly jumping up and down if you have downstairs neighbours.

I used to do P90X and still recommend it (second time I finished was the most ripped I've ever been, specially when if you swap out one or two of the days for lifting at the gym). There's a yoga day in there too. Hardest part is finding a pull up bar for home use, but your school should have three on the field.

Also you can get great workouts by joining your students during gym class (if your school lets you), doing laps or sprints on the field or around the school, and doing pullups on the pull-up bars before or after school, during lunch break, or even during periods you don't have class.

At the schools I've been to (JHS), the students usually run laps both in the morning and after school, and they really appreciate it when you go running with them. Great way to connect with your students while getting exercise in as well.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

Yoga's fairly big here. A lot of gyms offer classes, and I've seen classes offered at health/beauty stores and other places as well. You can get mats and blocks and stuff at sports stores easily if you don't want any of the fancy stuff.

I've been placed in one of the most rural parts of Japan, with the closest free weight gym being around an hour and half's drive away. So I've decided to build a home gym in one of my spare rooms, which is coming along slowly (mainly due to financial setbacks).
    Last edited by ander; March 3rd, 2015 at 13:24.

get a kettlebell and an ab roller. bam, done.

What sort of dwarf can use a kettle bell inside a Japanese home without smashing a hole in the ceiling?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I guess YMMV depending on how tall you are. But still, most people could probably do most of the exercises in the video. Anyway its an option to consider, no?

Why do people exercise?

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Why do people exercise?
    A mutant with bear hands could never hope to understand the struggle of common folk.

I've already got myself an ab roller, but i tend to use it as a warm up. My apartment ceiling isn't very high and I would be paranoid of dropping a kettleback (apartment complex is full of young families, all of whom their children goes to my school). I've splashed out on some power blocks (41 kg) and an incline bench, which covers most upper body muscles. Just saving up for a squat rack and a barbell set, to get some of the heavier workouts in.

Quote Originally Posted by ander View Post
    I've already got myself an ab roller, but i tend to use it as a warm up. My apartment ceiling isn't very high and I would be paranoid of dropping a kettleback (apartment complex is full of young families, all of whom their children goes to my school). I've splashed out on some power blocks (41 kg) and an incline bench, which covers most upper body muscles. Just saving up for a squat rack and a barbell set, to get some of the heavier workouts in.
    A squat rack IN your Japanese apartment??

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    A squat rack IN your Japanese apartment??
    Depends on the size of your apartment.

Still, in a standard 6 tatami matt room, damn son I would be impressed.

I once tried to buy a squat rack from a guy on craigslist and negotiate with the city gym to keep it in the training room for everyone to use. Sadly that did not fly.

6 tatami mat? thats a bit of a shoebox isnt it?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Enough space for a JetCoaster!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

What kind of palatial accomodations have been bestowed upon thee, princes of ITIL?

well my last place was about 2000 square meters, dual loading bays, office space above.....

Built-in kocho-sensei space heater..
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; March 11th, 2015 at 13:25.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.