Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: MONSTER POST: JET Interview Guide, From 5th Year JET

Default Re: MONSTER POST: JET Interview Guide, From 5th Year JET

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    By teaching on a topic, you're as bad as my teachers who teach for the test. You need to teach the skill on a variety of things, not teach the knowledge the things that have occurred in the past.
    Right, teaching someone to pass the JET interview is not making them a better interviewee, it's just helping them do one thing, once. To be fair a lot of his post does help people more generally. But the whole "you better be prepared for this question" implies that you should be ready to recite an answer. You might not have meant that but it could easily be read that way (and evidently a lot of us did read it that way).

In my test I remember my "difficult question" was "What would you do if you had a holiday booked and your school asked you to cancel it because they wanted you to go to an event?". I wasn't expecting it at all and I had to think about it for a bit before I said something like "Well... at first I would try to find out if there were something else I could do to make up for missing the event, but if they were insistent I would see if I could reschedule the holiday... But I would ask them to try and give me more advenced notice or a schedule of club events for next time..."

Now if I'd prepared an answer to that I may well have come up with something like "Well, I think I'm going to Japan to teach, so even though it'd be a shame to miss a holiday, the students and school would come first for me." If I were an interviewer now and a candidate spewed that out it'd raise my eyebrows. They want to see someone genuinely consider their questions and answer truthfully, otherwise they wouldn't answer. That's why I say it's like cheating; if you prepare an answer that wasn't the natural answer you would have given otherwise you're basically lying to them to an extent.

Now, if we're talking about preparing because you're a very nervous interviewer who is likely going to choke up even if they do have a good answer, that makes a lot more sense. I think that's basically what you're saying now, but the whole "prepare your answers to these 20 questions" makes it seem otherwise.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87 View Post
    so eventually I figured "hey, I'm a 5th year, I like making sites, writing, shooting videos etc and I've been doing this consistently for the past 5 years. I'll just put it all together and as a side project and try to make the resource that I myself would have wanted to read as an aspiring and participating JET all these years." I'm just sort of figuring it out as I go along, but at the core I want to bring awareness to JET, help people get in, give them a place to find good advice and show them how to have the same cool experiences that I've been lucky enough to have. Living in Japan is a ride full of ups and downs which is why I called it the jet coaster.
    Man, way to take all the credit. What about all the hard work that Thomas Simmons put in? Doesn't he deserve a bit of the spotlight?

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Man, way to take all the credit. What about all the hard work that Thomas Simmons put in? Doesn't he deserve a bit of the spotlight?
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thomas Simmons is a monster in the world of 5th year jets offering advice to aspiring and participating JETs. He practically wrote the handbook on making sites, writing and shooting videos.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I hear he kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume ITIL with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

He's the hero 5th year JETs deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Thomas Simmons
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

But can he see why kids love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch?

He knows so much more than that. He has been able to be accepted by the japanese people at all times - whether hes praying at a temple, bowing deeply at a tea ceremony, or undertaking a pilgrimage in traditional garb.

Quote Originally Posted by greyjoy View Post
    Haha Thomas is one of my very best friends. We met at Toronto Orientation and came to Japan together in 2010. He's one of the nicest, most generous and friendly people I've ever met and you're right, I'm super lucky that he's working on TJC with me. I'm nowhere near organized and consistent enough to keep the blog going by myself. Basically I made the site and had a lot of difficulty finding time to both produce content and figure out what I was doing. It was coming along really slowly since I was trying to figure out and do everything by myself but after the current iteration, Thomas liked the design and asked me to work on it together. So it's like a fun side project with my bro and I'm super lucky that we see eye to eye on almost everything. I also have to give a shout-out to my friend David Namisato who drew Life After the B.O.E. for drawing the splash screen of the site.
    2010-2015 Toronto JET | Gunma-ken | thejetcoaster.com

#Je suis ThomasSimmons

I hear he's a maniac, maniac on the floor
    And he's dancing like he never danced before
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I hear he's a maniac, maniac on the floor
    And he's dancing like he never danced before
    wrong simmons. Although there is a resemblance.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    wrong simmons. Although there is a resemblance.....

Dad?

He walks among us!

Thank you so much for writing this post. This is very detailed and helpful. I started reviewing for my interview this week and I would certainly be taking some of your questions in mind.