Thread: Early Entry

Default Early Entry

I have two questions and would greatly appreciate advice. =)

So I indicated early entry on my application. And have only submitted my Criminal Record check and not my Certificate of Health. I know I can still submit documents at the interview. First though, I don't get many examinations. And they ask a lot of questions on the health form. Do I have to get a urine test and an X-Ray? Or can my doctor sign off without those? Are they covered by Health Insurance (I'm from Canada and currently work in a job with partial benefits) How much would it cost? How long would it take to get results?

Additionally, although I chose early, since the application I am no longer available to leave until June? Should I still even bother with it? How many people leave by that point before August? Or do most if not all early entries leave in April?

Thanks!!

Default Re: Early Entry

Quote Originally Posted by fairiehearts View Post
    I have two questions and would greatly appreciate advice. =)

So I indicated early entry on my application. And have only submitted my Criminal Record check and not my Certificate of Health. I know I can still submit documents at the interview. First though, I don't get many examinations. And they ask a lot of questions on the health form. Do I have to get a urine test and an X-Ray? Or can my doctor sign off without those? Are they covered by Health Insurance (I'm from Canada and currently work in a job with partial benefits) How much would it cost? How long would it take to get results?

Additionally, although I chose early, since the application I am no longer available to leave until June? Should I still even bother with it? How many people leave by that point before August? Or do most if not all early entries leave in April?

Thanks!!
    You have to have the urine and chest x-ray done. If your doctor lies on the form for you and it gets found out, you will be disqualified/fired.

If you don't want to do early departure, just confirm that with your interviewers - I'm sure lots of early departure candidates don't get their forms back (in the US, from the FBI) in time to leave in April. They just go into the pool of shortlist candidates who get positions starting in July/August. The number of Early Departure positions is usually very low, but SFcoord or Miami could confirm.

Unless your doctor is willing to lie on your form, I'm pretty sure you need both the x-ray and urine test.

Fortunately they were both free for me once I received a prescription from the doctor (I'm in Canada too)
    and were both done in no time. 15 minutes each, that was convenient

Doctors in my area are quite lazy... you'll be surprised. I went to the Philippines for a school trip in High School and I was supposed to have a physical but my doctor pretty much just asked me to breath in and out and did my blood pressure and signed the paper work right then and there...

Thanks for the answers though! I've been avoiding doing it because... let's say I blame I work and getting sick for about a month. =D

Just go to them and tell them that you need a work physical, a urine test, and a chest xray for an overseas program. Make sure the form is filled out properly and if its not, annoy the shit out of them until they do it right.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

There was no urine test on the health form when I did it in 2011. The X-ray was covered by provincial health care (though not always, depends on the doctor to be honest). The fee for filling out the form was 80$. It would have been free if I could have seen my GP in a reasonable amount of time, sadly time was of the most importance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

When do late arrivals end and early placements begin? I saw some neckbeard at narita over the winter break being met by a lady holding up a JET programme sign.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

I'm from BC also: The urine test is needed, but they should do it at any walk in clinic along with filling out the form for around $40 (at least thats what it was here in Kamloops). The xray often isn't covered, because its 'optional' and not an emergency (so unless you have a family DR that loves you...), BUT you can get a skin TB test done instead, which is usually around 30$ at a travel clinic, or if you are lucky there might be availability at an Interior Health Clinic. (Ive been turned down before because it was flu season and they were too busy to do 'optional' testing, but it really depends on your local center so call and ask)

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    When do late arrivals end and early placements begin? I saw some neckbeard at narita over the winter break being met by a lady holding up a JET programme sign.
    Late arrivals can be called up as late as end of December, and ship out in January (We had one here on the forums). Late March/Early April would be early departure.

We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

I'm from Ontario. It cost me $85 for the Doctor's examination (CoH). I also paid $50 for the 2-step TB test instead of the x-ray. I did it at my student health center, and they don't do x-rays unless the skin test is problematic. The skin test takes minimum 2 weeks to complete though, so you may want to push for the x-ray instead.
    I imagine you can discuss about early departure at your interview. Otherwise if you change your mind and no longer want to apply, you can email your coordinator.
    Last edited by nostos; January 26th, 2015 at 17:17.

Quote Originally Posted by nostos View Post
    I'm from Ontario. It cost me $85 for the Doctor's examination (CoH). I also paid $50 for the 2-step TB test instead of the x-ray. I did it at my student health center, and they don't do x-rays unless the skin test is problematic. The skin test takes minimum 2 weeks to complete though, so you may want to push for the x-ray instead.
    I imagine you can discuss about early departure at your interview. Otherwise if you change your mind and no longer want to apply, you can email your coordinator.
    I was told 3 days for the skin test? Maybe its a different one...

Okay. Thanks for the advice.

I think I will pass on the early entry especially as I won't be able to leave until closer to the regular departure date anyways.

When I get this health stuff done for regular departure, if I get in, I definitely won't wait til the last minute haha.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by whitehexe View Post
    I was told 3 days for the skin test? Maybe its a different one...
    Mine was three days or so. It probably took over two weeks for the thing to go away though. Maybe that's a terminal date.

There might be different poke TB tests... Mine was gonna be like a week or something.

Ah yeah, the 2-step is best to get, and I had the time, so thats why it took 2 weeks.

Yeah, if somewhere offers the smaller TB test I think that one is fine though (I was never told that a certain one had to be done). Its cheaper (its $30 here anyway), and can be done a lot quicker, as you only have to go back once 2-3 days after the initial injection - but it depends on what is offered in your area too, it's possible some regions only offer a certain kind of test. 2 step tests aren't done anywhere near me, just the 3 day ones unless I want to drive 4hrs to and from every appointment... so not worth it even if it is more 'accurate'.

I would advise against the xrays unless your Dr can do them for you for cheap/free. My BF's family dr was able to get his done free when he went to Japan to study overseas (but his dad is the mayor and hes been with the same family Dr since he was born). On the other hand I've been told its going to be upwards of $100+ by my dr to get the x-ray testing done; not money I'm willing to dish out for a *maybe* job. Ask your dr when you get the rest of the testing done, they will tell you what your best options are for where to get the TB testing.