Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41

Thread: Did AJET ever get fixed?

  1. #21
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    What I find interesting here is the conclusion drawn. They didn't track whether those curmudgeonly 5th years EVER volunteered. Did they volunteer at first and peter out? Did they never opt to volunteer? What was classified as a volunteer activity?

    It is equally possible, and more likely to me, that the ones that stay are the ones that don't burn themselves out or have a Japan Bucket List
    With all the assumptions here, it's like all of the worst psychological studies I've ever read rolled into two paragraphs of stupidity.
    It's like none of these people ever took a course in statistical validity... ohh wait.

    I came to similar conclusions when I read it at first. That being said I was also in that percentage that said I have no interest in volunteering now, in the past, or ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  2. #22
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Why does AJET give two shits whether people volunteer or not?

  3. #23

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Why does AJET give two shits whether people volunteer or not?
    Because they like to claim that ALTs are angelic beings of pure light and we volunteer so much we deserve halos and better working environments.

  4. #24

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Good point though.

    Maybe they want to focus on the "cultural ambassador" stuff to move the focus away from the "real teaching" aspect that we have nothing to do with.

    Or maybe they're taking the Apollo87 approach that you're more likely to attract people with pictures of sakura and tales of visiting all 47 prefectures than a bunch of social outcasts and ol' bastards talking about tranny porn and model planes.

  5. #25
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    Why does AJET give two shits whether people volunteer or not?
    I dunno... but another post was about the disappointing turn out of volunteer hours in the race for the top.

    I think what happened was the NAJET people, who are volunteers themselves, assumed that all ALTS must be volunteers if they volunteered, and their little echo chamber they built for themselves just reinforced this idea.

    I would actually bet that only around half at most of the ALTs are naturally inclined to volunteer. It's just that they drag everyone into whatever bullshit event they have planned that there's no helping it and it looks like 75% or more are participating by choice.

    (and that choice is to not look like an outcast and heartless fuck because that's all the group will bitch about while volunteering.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  6. #26
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    I dunno... but another post was about the disappointing turn out of volunteer hours in the race for the top.

    I think what happened was the NAJET people, who are volunteers themselves, assumed that all ALTS must be volunteers if they volunteered, and their little echo chamber they built for themselves just reinforced this idea.

    I would actually bet that only around half at most of the ALTs are naturally inclined to volunteer. It's just that they drag everyone into whatever bullshit event they have planned that there's no helping it and it looks like 75% or more are participating by choice.

    (and that choice is to not look like an outcast and heartless fuck because that's all the group will bitch about while volunteering.)
    The main reason I don't volunteer through AJET is that whether it's local or a regional thing, they want to drag me two or three hours from where I live. What a fucking pain. It costs me a lot of time and a lot of money to do anything AJET asks me to do.

    So no, I don't want to get up at 5:30 am to take a three hour and 3,000 yen trip to the neighbouring prefecture to help do some useless task. I don't want to spend the time and money to come back either. I'd rather just donate the $60 and spend the day wanking in my apartment, because it will do more good anyway.

    That said, if my BOE or schools ask me to volunteer time, I almost always say yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Good point though.

    Maybe they want to focus on the "cultural ambassador" stuff to move the focus away from the "real teaching" aspect that we have nothing to do with.

    Or maybe they're taking the Apollo87 approach that you're more likely to attract people with pictures of sakura and tales of visiting all 47 prefectures than a bunch of social outcasts and ol' bastards talking about tranny porn and model planes.
    Does AJET want to get away from the teaching aspect though? On the last survey they were asking about whether or not we ALTs would like to teach alone? Crazy to be sure, but it's related to teaching.

    I think you're right when you say they might be taking an Apollo approach. It makes sense.
    Last edited by johnny; February 18th, 2015 at 09:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  7. #27
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    The main reason I don't volunteer through AJET is that whether it's local or a regional thing, they want to drag me two or three hours from where I live. What a fucking pain. It costs me a lot of time and a lot of money to do anything AJET asks me to do.

    So no, I don't want to get up at 5:30 am to take a three hour and 3,000 yen trip to the neighbouring prefecture to help do some useless task. I don't want to spend the time and money to come back either. I'd rather just donate the $60 and spend the day wanking in my apartment, because it will do more good anyway.

    That said, if my BOE or schools ask me to volunteer time, I almost always say yes.
    WOAH. Don't suggest that to people. Seriously, reminding volunteers that their money is more valuable than their time (in most cases) just pisses them right off. Volunteering isn't about making something actually better, volunteering is about feeling good and helping the less fortunate by showing you're willing to give time once in a blue moon to a random cause and never think of it again.

    Your BOE is a totally different situation, and deserves a bit of consideration.

    Does AJET want to get away from the teaching aspect though? On the last survey they were asking about whether or not we ALTs would like to teach alone? Crazy to be sure, but it's related to teaching.

    I think you're right when you say they might be taking an Apollo approach. It makes sense.
    LOL. NAJET would need to get on a topic longer than 3 months to get away from it. The only thing they have been consistent on in my 4 years is wanking about themselves and extorting money from newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  8. #28
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Also, totally random question...

    Why do people (read: you feckless losers) volunteer? What are your reasons for doing it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  9. #29

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    The main reason I don't volunteer through AJET is that whether it's local or a regional thing, they want to drag me two or three hours from where I live. What a fucking pain. It costs me a lot of time and a lot of money to do anything AJET asks me to do.
    So no, I don't want to get up at 5:30 am to take a three hour and 3,000 yen trip to the neighbouring prefecture to help do some useless task. I don't want to spend the time and money to come back either.
    Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ on a Cracker, this. ^

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Also, totally random question...

    Why do people (read: you feckless losers) volunteer? What are your reasons for doing it?
    I do it when I can have a direct impact on things. Like Johnny, if my BoE or school ask for time, I give it without any fuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Also, totally random question...

    Why do people (read: you feckless losers) volunteer? What are your reasons for doing it?
    I'm not a volunteer for much the same reasons I think you don't, but I think you're kinda letting your own prejudices cloud this.

    Also, what does volunteering mean? Is it exclusively about charity work? I wasn't under the impression Japan was a third world country, ergo most "volunteering" means getting involved in local events and activities. Doing Taiko, lugging around the mikoshi, fiddling with old ladies' flowers, that kind of thing? Yeah, sure, volunteering to go bumble around Tohoku and get in the way of actual cleanup might be a circlejerk. But people who actually enjoy getting out and involved with doing stuff with Japanese people (even just Eikaiwa) are probably enjoying themselves, meeting new people and those Japanese people are enjoying having their little activity spiced up with gaijin genki.

    Life isn't about extracting as much "score" out of your time and effort as is humanly possible. We're all just here for the ride, if you enjoy yourself with what you're doing and not fucking anyone over too much in the process, what more can anyone ask?

    And that's about as much of the "cultural exchange" as JET wants I think. Sure, COs (esp high schools) might have zero reason to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people AJET talk to are at least mildly concerned with it.

  11. #31
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I'm not a volunteer for much the same reasons I think you don't, but I think you're kinda letting your own prejudices cloud this.
    Of course I am, that's half the fun.
    Also, what does volunteering mean? Is it exclusively about charity work? I wasn't under the impression Japan was a third world country, ergo most "volunteering" means getting involved in local events and activities. Doing Taiko, lugging around the mikoshi, fiddling with old ladies' flowers, that kind of thing? Yeah, sure, volunteering to go bumble around Tohoku and get in the way of actual cleanup might be a circlejerk. But people who actually enjoy getting out and involved with doing stuff with Japanese people (even just Eikaiwa) are probably enjoying themselves, meeting new people and those Japanese people are enjoying having their little activity spiced up with gaijin genki.
    Volunteering means donating your time and resources towards a task without expectation of financial gain.

    Now, where that activity occurs is a huge thing. I don't consider volunteering (read helping your local community) a bad thing, but when the organized "volunteer events" are around things like "go visit an orphanage", "go clean up tohoku", or other... third world voluntourism type stuff, then I have an issue with it.

    Also, any volunteering for the BoE in which you are expected to be a representative in any way for the BoE is not volunteering. It's free labor.

    Life isn't about extracting as much "score" out of your time and effort as is humanly possible. We're all just here for the ride, if you enjoy yourself with what you're doing and not fucking anyone over too much in the process, what more can anyone ask?

    And that's about as much of the "cultural exchange" as JET wants I think. Sure, COs (esp high schools) might have zero reason to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if the people AJET talk to are at least mildly concerned with it.
    I'm not talking exclusively about score. If I was, then all volunteering is pointless in the end as the score will never balance. What I'm talking about is the assumption that we all volunteer. That it's a default state of the person, to want to give to others without expectation of compensation, and that ALL JETS are some how like this. I'm happy to give my time if I want to give it, but it should not be expected of me to give my time freely. NAJET assumes this position. Exploitative BoEs assume this position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  12. #32
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Yeah, I like to do local volunteering too. I haven't done enough really, and when I go back to Vancouver, I'd like to do more. Helping the poor feels like a good one for me.

    Gizmo is right though. It's only meaningful if I do it of my own will. It's wrong to pressure people into volunteering.
    Last edited by johnny; February 18th, 2015 at 09:54.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    "volunteer events" are around things like "go visit an orphanage"
    I'm always torn when these come up. On the one hand, spending time with kids that could use some extra dose of happiness in their lives sounds great. On the ohter hand, having a bunch of gaijin show up and pinch cheeks for a day might be more damaging than helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

  14. #34
    Perpetually confused. johnny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    4,065

    Default Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    I'm always torn when these come up. On the one hand, spending time with kids that could use some extra dose of happiness in their lives sounds great. On the ohter hand, having a bunch of gaijin show up and pinch cheeks for a day might be more damaging than helpful.
    See, that's a good point. The poor kids probably end up feeling more abandoned when they learn the gaijin aren't coming back. I would think that it would almost be better to buy them Yokai watch crap that they can enjoy for more than a few hours.

    I was going to post something about wanting to volunteer when I get back home. It would be good to help the poor by volunteering at a soup kitchen or food bank.

    A big part of the value derived volunteering in something like a soup kitchen is forming relationships and getting to know people. It's not just about feeding the impoverished, it's letting them that the world cares about them. It's letting them know they still matter. I don't think you can do that by dropping in one or twice. It's best to go continuously so that and a human component.

    I think that's especially important with children who have lost their family.
    Last edited by johnny; February 18th, 2015 at 10:26.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

  15. #35

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotech View Post
    Volunteering means donating your time and resources towards a task without expectation of financial gain.
    I suppose I thought you were saying that if you're not getting paid you shouldn't bother to do it. But you're actually saying if you don't want to do it then you should only do it if you get paid? I'd agree with that. I just haven't really run into the situation or heard of other's in the situation where they really felt a pressure to do that. Not saying it isn't a problem, but yeah.

    I can also get the point of view that the area wants to bring over people who are going to get involved in the local community. If they have an ALT who just sits in his apartment, does his lessons and goes off to the local city every weekend, it makes sense that they'd be unsatisfied with that. Sure it isn't something they can force you to do, but it is something that they make pretty clear that they'd like in an ALT before you even apply for the programme. They want someone who wants to volunteer, and thus they want to encourage people to have a desire to be a part of the local community. Having to force an ALT to do it is obviously a bit bs, but I think if you don't have at least some desire to do so then you shouldn't be on the JET programme. It's like mothy was trying to point out the other day; if you came here just to be a teacher, the JET programme is not for you.

    Also, I'm not saying AJET are thinking that way, but it would make sense for them to address that "issue" in a way - to communicate with local communities about how they can make ALTs feel more welcome and make volunteering more appealing to them. It's not like they can have anything to do with the teaching side of it, after all...

  16. #36
    Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A depressingly cold place...
    Posts
    10,067

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    I suppose I thought you were saying that if you're not getting paid you shouldn't bother to do it. But you're actually saying if you don't want to do it then you should only do it if you get paid? I'd agree with that. I just haven't really run into the situation or heard of other's in the situation where they really felt a pressure to do that. Not saying it isn't a problem, but yeah.
    If your boss asks you to do it, and you're not getting paid, it's free labor, not volunteering.

    Until this year I would get in bucket loads of shit from other ALTs because I don't volunteer my time in events. I have no interest. I'll volunteer my time for things I have a personal interest in, and where I can see a potential long term reward, but I am not going to visit the kiddies because everyone is visiting the kiddies. I'm not gonna go dress up like Sanata for a local community centre just because I'm fucking white (that one really pissed me off, when it was expected that I do it because I was the last ALT still in town... WTF)

    I can also get the point of view that the area wants to bring over people who are going to get involved in the local community. If they have an ALT who just sits in his apartment, does his lessons and goes off to the local city every weekend, it makes sense that they'd be unsatisfied with that. Sure it isn't something they can force you to do, but it is something that they make pretty clear that they'd like in an ALT before you even apply for the programme. They want someone who wants to volunteer, and thus they want to encourage people to have a desire to be a part of the local community. Having to force an ALT to do it is obviously a bit bs, but I think if you don't have at least some desire to do so then you shouldn't be on the JET programme. It's like mothy was trying to point out the other day; if you came here just to be a teacher, the JET programme is not for you.

    Also, I'm not saying AJET are thinking that way, but it would make sense for them to address that "issue" in a way - to communicate with local communities about how they can make ALTs feel more welcome and make volunteering more appealing to them. It's not like they can have anything to do with the teaching side of it, after all...
    I understand where this point of view comes from, but looking for someone who "wants" to volunteer is wrong. You're basically looking for free labor. If a job is important enough that you need to be voluntold to do it, then it's worth compensation. Looking for someone who wants to participate is okay, who wants to be involved, and there are obviously major deficiencies in communication between BoEs and ALTs in that regard. But there is no reason you can't come here to be a teacher, to live your own life separate from everyone else, to build connections and community involvement over time. Being active in the program, in your community, does not require you to be a volunteer in the sense of charity work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

    Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Volunteering with the orphans was practically compulsary for a few years down my way but has tailed off recently.

    I've always steered clear, partly because the self-serving motives of the grinning ALT clowns made me feel physically sick and partly because I prioritise boozing, eating and travelling over playing catch with some emotionally stunted ratchild.

  18. #38
    chill yo coop52's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Atlanta->Tottori
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharisma View Post

    I've always steered clear, partly because the self-serving motives of the grinning ALT clowns made me feel physically sick and partly because I prioritise boozing, eating and travelling over playing catch with some emotionally stunted ratchild.
    Same here. If it were some cause that actually made a difference, like helping at a soup kitchen or cleaning a beach or something like that, I'd probably do it. But I just don't feel the need to travel for hours to play with kids or build houses.

    I used to do Relay for Life in high school and college, but that wasn't a whole lot of effort. I just asked people for a few bucks and walked around a track for a couple of hours. I don't know if that organization actually affects anything, but it didn't seem that bad. At least they don't seem as bad as the pink ribbon people.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    AJET and the other bastard organizations of JET are ways for ALTs with nothing to do to pad their resumes in hopes of getting a job, after their 5 years are up. They give themselves these ridiculous titles like "Project Manager" and "Head of Sales and something."

    For anyone that actually knows what a Project Manager does and what AJET people claim to do, it is absolutely ridiculous. Project managers have all kinds of certifications, (Prince 2, PMI, PNP), and usually CS or finance backgrounds. In Japan, they often make more than 10M yen a year. Do you really think that you can be a volunteer project manager? This is craziness.
    Last edited by coheeshosho; June 12th, 2015 at 14:18.

  20. #40

    Default Re: Did AJET ever get fixed?

    Quote Originally Posted by coheeshosho View Post
    AJET and the other bastard organizations of JET are ways for ALTs with nothing to do to pad their resumes in hopes of getting a job, after their 5 years are up. They give themselves these ridiculous titles like "Project Manager" and "Head of Sales and something."

    For anyone that actually knows what a Project Manager does and what AJET people claim to do, it is absolutely ridiculous. Project managers have all kinds of certifications, (Prince 2, PMI, PNP), and usually CS or finance backgrounds. In Japan, they often make more than 10M yen a year. Do you really think that you can be a volunteer project manager? This is craziness.
    The job titles really annoy me. They have Directors ffs.

    It's like those ALTs that call themselves "Teaching Consultant" or "Cross-Cultural Educator". The former is certainly closer in that it starts with a C and ends with an NT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    The only time I took ALTs to my favourite sushi place they bitched about the price and two girls showed up uninvited and complained that they didn't like fish.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •