Thread: You have a full JHS1年生 class every week to do whatever you want, what do you do?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default You have a full JHS1年生 class every week to do whatever you want, what do you do?

This is the kind of the situation I have found myself in. It's quite fun to be able to teach/play whatever game I want with the students. I have been able to keep coming up with engaging material, but I'm always looking to improve as well. I don't think my JTE cares much about what I do, and it doesn't have to be textbook-related. I get the impression she lets this be the "fun time" where the kids can kind of take a break from all the soul-crushing textbook stuff.

So any good ideas for fun activities?

Thanks!
    www.thejetcoaster.com
    5th year | 2010 Toronto JET | Kagawa-ken
    thejetcoaster.com | youtube | instagram

Default Re: You have a full JHS1年生 class every week to do whatever you want, what do you do?

You have a full class once a week and you are going to waste it playing games? Why not develop your own syllabus to run in tandem with what they are doing in their regular classes but one that focuses on communication over grammar?
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Default Re: You have a full JHS1年生 class every week to do whatever you want, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    You have a full class once a week and you are going to waste it playing games? Why not develop your own syllabus to run in tandem with what they are doing in their regular classes but one that focuses on communication over grammar?
    i don't think i'm wasting it at all, especially considering i do a lot of review games. i do indeed focus on more communication style games vs. grammar, and i was hoping for some more in the same vein. what kind of activities have you run that have been successful in this regard? i'm interested to implement some things that have worked for other people
    www.thejetcoaster.com

Phonics, jeopardy, true or false, multiple choice quizzes or watching videos?

Why not do a longer-term project instead of games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Oh, is that how you say first year student in Japanese? I wish my Japanese was as good as yours, tomato_simon.

Quote Originally Posted by soh View Post
    Phonics, jeopardy, true or false, multiple choice quizzes or watching videos?
    ok, good suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    Why not do a longer-term project instead of games?
    i'm totally up for that (well, will be if it's the same situation in april). have you tried something like this? or, what would you do, garak?
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Oh, is that how you say first year student in Japanese? I wish my Japanese was as good as yours, tomato_simon.
    it's ok, keep trying buddy!
    www.thejetcoaster.com

I only ever play games with my Junior High School students if they all get over 95 on their tests and are eating ice cream.

I would use the time for plays or role play activity, 20 questions, or stuff that rewards them for speaking in general.

I also agree with the idea to do a long term project. But games every week? And that's all? I'd try to flex your 'teacher' muscle and use it to really teach them something that would be interesting and may encourage them along in their English Learning careers. Teach about a town, a custom, a country or something like that. I know it's hard with a whole class, but I feel like you'd be able to figure something out. Even letter projects would be interesting.

I have the exact same situation. I planned out a syllabus that kind of follows the textbook, reinforcing whatever points they just learned in class. I have them do some sort of communication activity, usually some kind of role play. For example, when they were learning plurals, I had them do a shopping activity so they could practice saying stuff like "4 apples" as well as learn some common set phrases like "May I help you?". It's a good chance to give the kids extra time to practice important things that aren't covered all that well in the textbook, like prepositions of place and adverbs of frequency. And, it's the time when I do all the cultural stuff like Christmas songs.

If you're interested in a long term project, maybe you should have them participate in Postcrossing? Gets them to practice writing and the postcards they receive will come from all around the world. Although this might be better for a smaller group of people (like a English club). It's something to consider though.

I would probably run a TPRS style course. Once they had a decent foundation I would do some bigger projects.
    Last edited by jwkelley; February 2nd, 2015 at 14:42.