Thread: Alternate vs Shortlist Candidates Help Please

Default Alternate vs Shortlist Candidates Help Please

Hello,

I was an alternate last year for the JET programme in Canada and was wondering if there are any tips to improve my interview?
    Also how do they determine an alternate vs short list candidate, ie what are the determining factors?

thanks a bunch!!!

Default Re: Alternate vs Shortlist Candidates Help Please

Well as Miami said, be prepared to answer the question of how you improved over the year.

As for the list, the way I understood it was that alternates were candidates that scored well enough to pass the interview...but didn't do quite as well as some other people.

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

It's not necessarily that they didn't do as well as others.

Rather, that their profile didn't fit what they needed in Japan.

(If they were looking for someone with a driving permit and a business degree, they are gonna pass over the person with an arts degree and no license).

Still, you will have to answer what changed/improved from last year.
    Last edited by Zolrak 22; February 2nd, 2015 at 05:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    It's not necessarily that they didn't do as well as others.

Rather, that their profile didn't fit what they needed in Japan.

(If they were looking for someone with a driving permit and a business degree, they are gonna pass over the person with an arts degree and no license).

Still, you will have to answer what chabged/improved from last year.
    I meant interview wise, they could have done a little better. I know I could have, even if I was good on paper (English degree, license, ect).

Quote Originally Posted by mookielove View Post
    Also how do they determine an alternate vs short list candidate, ie what are the determining factors?
    If I recall correctly: The embassies and Tokyo put together a list of everyone who passed the interview, based on points scored (the number of points varies from year to year). The list is given to the various schools and boards of education. If you're picked by a school, congratulations, you're shortlisted. If you're not, you're an alternate. The only difference is whether someone specifically wants you or not.
    ...because Japan.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mookielove View Post
    Hello,

I was an alternate last year for the JET programme in Canada and was wondering if there are any tips to improve my interview?

thanks a bunch!!!
    Everything said in this thread so far is pretty accurate.

As for the initial shortlist vs alternate thing, all it depends on is your score at the interview. if there are 1000 openings for jet, then the first 1000 people on the list get to go. Pretty simple.

After the initial short list and placement lists comes out and people start declining offers and such, that is when contracting organizations start getting picky with their requests (male, single, likes walks on the beach, etc...)

tl;dr your interview score is what determines whether or not you are initially short listed or put on the alternate list
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.

thanks a bunch for all your advice!!