Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Default UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how to go about registering a half British / half Japanese kid for dual citizenship?

From what I remember years ago, there's a limited timeframe in which to do this.

(and yes, we're expecting our first kid in July)

Cheers
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Congratulations!

Boy or girl?

(Sorry, can't help on the question itself though )

Not sure yet! We will do a gender scan a bit later on. Northern Ireland is a bit of a mess when it comes to knowing the gender - the NHS refuses to tell you the gender, so we need to go private to get it done.
    Need a website hosted? ITIL runs on webhosting provided by BigWetFish. They're really great - check them out at bigwetfish.com. Sign up using the link and you'll also be helping ITIL with commission!

Then which are you secretly hoping for?

I'm sure you'll love them just the same, but I'm curious.

To be honest, I don't really care that much, but we're finding it easier to choose a girl's name. Boy's names are proving to be a major argument

Baron Jr. Isn't working for the better half?

Sensible names were even shot down within seconds!

Where is she dropping anchor? If the kid is born in the UK then just register it there as normal for british citizenship. For Japanese citizenship you'll have 3 months to register it either at the japanese embassy or at the town hall in Japan where your good lady wifes family register is. You'll need a registration form, copy of birth certificate + j-go translation, a copy of the family register and some ID. Probably best to just call the J-embassy and say "Its cute halfu time, bitches!" and see what their response is.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

cheers Ini, very useful.

Congratulations. As for Ini, it's scary that you know all that stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Congratulations. As for Ini, it's scary that you know all that stuff.
    One can only assume there's mini Inis running around in this world.

Default UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by Zolrak 22 View Post
    One can only assume there's mini Inis running around in this world.
    :-o

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Baron View Post
    :-o
    Seconded.
    Teach them something new?? Are you mad? All you do in Japan is rehash the same stuff over and over for 15 years. Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

OPPORTUNITYISNOWHERE mteacher80's Avatar

Congrats to you and your small-yuki!
    ☆★REAL EYES REALIZE REAL LIES★☆

Look out guys, it is a ghost!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Im half British, half Polish too.

That's nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Bear00 View Post
    When I read your post I suddenly feel like I am so far away from being crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ananasboat View Post
    It's festivals days like these on which I really try really hard to make up for not partying in college.
    yeah, because who needs free flowing drugs and alcohol fueling adventorous sex with taut, lithe young bodies when you could wander around a dying town in the freezing cold with a can of asahi super dry in your hand while some toothless old farmer shouts at you.

Congrats!

Last I heard, Japan doesn't do dual-citizenship though. Maybe it's different for cute hafu children? But from what I studied, someone would have to relinquish their other citizenship (British) to get full Japanese citizenship. I take it this doesn't apply to hafu, because no one else has mentioned it...?

Oh wow I never updated this thread. So we have a lovely boy, and we finally agreed on a name.
    The wife filled in a form or two and from what I understand he has to choose at the age of 21 whether he wants to be British or Japanese. I don't know the full ins and outs of it but she appears to know what's going on.

edit: here's the link about choosing nationality The Choice of Nationality
    Last edited by Beer Baron; June 9th, 2016 at 13:39.

No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality. I am sure that if one were to even offer the 100 million Japanese the golden opportunity to become a full British citizen in exchange for the surrender of their Japanese nationality if they would just be allowed to keep working in Japan under a nikkeijin visa, I think almost everyone would be smart enough to take up on the offer. So for the kids to wonder which one they should choose is very straight forward.
    Last edited by Vancouver3; June 9th, 2016 at 14:02.