Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

The Sun's Bird God..what? Zolrak 22's Avatar

Default Re: UK/Japanese kids and dual citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by Vancouver3 View Post
    No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality.
    I can see someone who's lived all their life in Japan wanting to stay there.

So it's really all about perspective.

I don't know how strict the UK is about it, but Japan and the US doesn't seem to be. And when I registered mini-mothy at the US embassy they told me that even if japan says he has to and he chooses Japan, the US will still consider him a US citizen.

No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality.
    Either you're trolling or don't know any Japanese people.

No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality. I am sure that if one were to even offer the 100 million Japanese the golden opportunity to become a full British citizen in exchange for the surrender of their Japanese nationality if they would just be allowed to keep working in Japan under a nikkeijin visa, I think almost everyone would be smart enough to take up on the offer. So for the kids to wonder which one they should choose is very straight forward.
    U wot m8?

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    Either you're trolling or don't know any Japanese people.
    ikr lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It could happen. 1/100.

Yeah I have a few friends who still have dual US/Japan citizenship well past 21. They just can't do stuff like JET without giving up the Japanese part.

Well if that's the case, I'll just make mini-mothy give it up now. He's gotta follow in his old man's footsteps.

Isn't it the case that if you ever have to "give up" US citizenship while living in another country then the US govt will basically ignore that? Or is that one of them "urban legends"?

Yeah I do think the US is pretty forgiving in terms of giving you back citizenship provided you didn't go off and live in ISIS or North Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    Isn't it the case that if you ever have to "give up" US citizenship while living in another country then the US govt will basically ignore that? Or is that one of them "urban legends"?
    Based off the comments of the lady at the embassy, that does seem to be the case.

No one in the world would be foolish enough to surrender one's British citizenship in exchange for a Japanese nationality. I am sure that if one were to even offer the 100 million Japanese the golden opportunity to become a full British citizen in exchange for the surrender of their Japanese nationality if they would just be allowed to keep working in Japan under a nikkeijin visa, I think almost everyone would be smart enough to take up on the offer. So for the kids to wonder which one they should choose is very straight forward.
    Why? UK citizenship isn't anything all that special and after the country has left the EU I don't really know what it would offer over a Japanese passport.

In fact Japanese passports can get you visa free access to a lot of countries that enforce visa restrictions on British citizens for various reasons.