Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Missing Japan

Default Re: Missing Japan

No, but they didn't have him do much either. It just seemed to be the school philosophy that TT classes were a waste of time.
    Can't say I completely disagree with them, but it made it a pain to work there.

Quote Originally Posted by mothy View Post
    It just seemed to be the school philosophy that TT classes were a waste of time.
    See, I'm not saying this attitude is wrong, but I don't see how they think that differentiates TT classes from their regular classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    See, I'm not saying this attitude is wrong, but I don't see how they think that differentiates TT classes from their regular classes.
    It depends on how they approach the ALT - is he a living tape recorder? Does he stand in the corner by himself? Does he lead classes? Does he explain grammar/help students directly? Does he make his own materials, laminate them and organize lessons plans or does he just tack on an internet worksheet and call it a day?

I caused some problems when I told my JTEs that I wanted to start introducing the kids to concept mapping for the reading assignments. And save 20 minutes of going through each sentence and explaining every connection and meaning in Japanese. So maybe they could use the English they've learned. But that was 'chottoed' off the lesson plan. (And there's one of the reasons my ES classes have already been done with the textbook for 2 weeks, while none of the JHS classes will finish their entire textbook.)

mapping at ES? Theres only about 4 sentences in the entire book
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    mapping at ES? Theres only about 4 sentences in the entire book

They even make illustrated guides for using HF, complete with explanations explaining the explanations already in the teachers text for HF. All part of 'English Education Research.' Mostly its explaining why the textbook accounts for 20% of the lesson. Unless you're taking things REALLY slowly, there isn't 35 hours of content in HF.

12ish sentences in HF 1, 15ish in HF 2.

theres like 6 sentences in HF2....
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Do you OO, When is OO, Can you OO, Where is OO, I want to OO, What time OO........

Do you OO, When is OO, Can you OO, Where is OO, I want to OO, What time OO........
    Do you have OO?
    Yes, I do. No, I don't.
    When is OO?
    OO is (date.)
    I can/can't OO.
    Can you OO?
    Yes, I can. No, I can't.
    Where is OO?
    Go straight.
    Turn right/left.
    I want to (go to) OO.
    Where do you want (to go)?
    Let's go.
    I get up at OO.
    What time OOO?
    We are good friends.
    We are strong and brave.
    I want to be a OO.
    What do you want to be?

we are good friends, we are strong and brave - who actually uses those sentences? that whole section of the book is garbage

as for the others they should have learned in 5th grade how to answer questions, yes i do/do i dont. yes i can/do i cant doesn't really count as new content........

that whole section of the book is garbage

as for the others they should have learned in 5th grade how to answer questions, yes i do/do i dont. yes i can/do i cant doesn't really count as new content........
    Pretty much. There's a reason that a lot of municipalities are looking for supplementary materials to raise the 5th/6th year English so the first 4 months of JHS aren't spent rehashing the same stuff (plus writing.) (It's only personal opinion, but I think ES students should be doing basic writing in at least 6th year - they learn romaji in 3rd year? No reason to hold off on it if they've already studied it 3 years prior...)

They learn romaji, but it's the stupid one with si and tu instead of shi and tsu. They only learn to write in capital letters, too. But, I agree that they're capable of handling lower case in ES.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coop52 View Post
    They learn romaji, but it's the stupid one with si and tu instead of shi and tsu. They only learn to write in capital letters, too. But, I agree that they're capable of handling lower case in ES.
    Hey, nothing wrong with writing in all capital letters :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.