Thread: odd circumstances should I schedule doctor appointment now?

Default odd circumstances should I schedule doctor appointment now?

So, my circumstances are a little unusual. I have not needed to visit a doctor in at least around 5 years. I do have asthma, but have not needed medicine for it in that time and do not see myself needing it in the foreseeable future. However, since it has been so long, my doctor does not have any medical records for me (transfered to him and then never needed to go to him). I know that the certificate of health says they prefer/require it to be a doctor familiar with you, but my doctor is not. Do I need yo schedule an appointment for as soon as possible to get a full medical checkup and then schedule one again assuming I'm accepted for the certificate of health? Advice from a coordinator or someone with knowledge on the situation would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: odd circumstances should I schedule doctor appointment now?

If you're in the US, go to a clinic and show them the form. Most likely they'll send you to an 'Occupational Health' department... I was in the same boat - the doctor I had before I went to college died (years ago) and I had no 'familiar' doctor. The clinic took a look at form, sent me up to 'Internal Medicine' who looked at it as well. They decided it was fine for me to see the 'Occupational Health' doctor for the physical. The Occupational Health did everything on the sheet and sent me over to Radiology for the chest x-ray. Came back two days later to pick up the form (ended up talking to the doctor again, as he left one of the lines blank.)

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

I had my medical done by the university clinic because my family doctor was completely unavailable for months for trivial crap.

Also, I just asked and asthma is common enough here (not that you often see the inhalers that often). I wouldn't worry about it, just learn the word in Japanese. It's not like anyone has your medical history handy anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwaz View Post
    So, my circumstances are a little unusual. I have not needed to visit a doctor in at least around 5 years. I do have asthma, but have not needed medicine for it in that time and do not see myself needing it in the foreseeable future. However, since it has been so long, my doctor does not have any medical records for me (transfered to him and then never needed to go to him). I know that the certificate of health says they prefer/require it to be a doctor familiar with you, but my doctor is not. Do I need yo schedule an appointment for as soon as possible to get a full medical checkup and then schedule one again assuming I'm accepted for the certificate of health? Advice from a coordinator or someone with knowledge on the situation would be greatly appreciated.
    You're in America? My stuff was filled out by docs that had never met me before.

This isn't directly related, but make sure you have an inhaler when you come. There are a lot of things floating around in the air that aggravate existing breathing conditions.
    Last edited by uthinkimlost?; February 5th, 2015 at 10:06.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiggit View Post
    But what if we reverse the polarity of the quantum string theory? According to uncertainty principle there are infinite worlds out there, so it stands to reason schrodinger's cat is alive in one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo87;
    U da real mvp.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by uthinkimlost? View Post
    You're in America? My stuff was filled out by docs that had never met me before.

This isn't directly related, but make sure you have an inhaler when you come. There are a lot of things floating around in the air that aggravate existing breathing conditions.
    Word, and the inhaler is the best proof you have that you have asthma.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Official JET Staff miamicoordinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ingwaz View Post

All we require is that the certificate of health be filled out by a qualified medical professional. Most applicants just go to the uni health center and get it done theRe.

Of course the best case scenario is for the doctor to havr known you for a while, but that is usually not the case since many people go away to college.

You will eventually need to get a full physical for the coh, but you dont have to worry about it right now. You might want to check on the availability of your inhaler steroid jist in case though.
    Anything I say here is my personal opinion. Always consult with your coordinator if you have any doubts, especially if you are applying from a country that is not the United States.