Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CIR Interview 2015

Default CIR Interview 2015

Are there any other CIR applicants here? I had my interview yesterday in Los Angeles, and I'd like to hear some thoughts from others who interviewed, or who will soon.
    車庫 B1F

Default Re: CIR Interview 2015

AyaReiko and I are on the other thread, but hey there again!

Hey again!
    I was hoping that if I put "CIR" in the title of the thread, some people might squirm out of the woodwork or create a username and start posting.
    I use the cirhomepage.org threads too. Very helpful.
    車庫 B1F

Oh yeah, what are the forums over there like?

I haven't had my interview yet. How was yours?

Good forums. Over there, it's more business-like, I guess. At least from what I've seen.
    There are TONS of active forums, so it's useful and entertaining.

When is your interview? Also where?
    Mine went pretty well, but I was concerned about the reading part.
    Last edited by word; February 5th, 2015 at 15:24. Reason: If you don't like combative, negative posts, stop contributing to them :|
    車庫 B1F

For some reason I always thought it was for people who are already CIRs...

It's this weekend in Ottawa. This is my second time interviewing, so I kind of know what to expect, but I'm still studying a little bit. Like I said in the other thread, your description of the reading part is pretty much exactly what I had last year, so I wouldn't worry about it. I was really surprised at how easy it was, but I ended up messing up on my kanji a little bit. I've been trying to read more this year, but I guess it'll depend on what the text is about. What was yours about?

deleted this post
    Last edited by BifCarbet; February 5th, 2015 at 23:50.
    車庫 B1F

Quote Originally Posted by AyaReiko View Post
    For some reason I always thought it was for people who are already CIRs...
    Naw man, potentials are encouraged to sign up there if they like

Quote Originally Posted by Ercasse View Post
    Naw man, potentials are encouraged to sign up there if they like
    Oh, good to know. Thanks!

Hi,

I applied for a CIR position!

Cool, welcome!!
    How did your interview go?

I had my interview at the consulate in Sydney. Went for roughly an hour but it was okay
    How was yours?

I think okay too, but I really don't know. It lasted an hour too because they asked me some of the ALT questions and had me do their Japanese test. I guess I'll see in a week or two, but I don't feel as confident as last year (partly because I didn't get in last year! CIR is kind of brutal like that: there were only 3 in all of Canada in 2014!)

Oh gosh... That sounds tough ! I'm scared now. . haha

Sorry, haha! There may be more CIR requests for Australians, you never know!
    I was actually on the waiting list, so it didn't go too bad last, but this year was very different, so I have no idea. I have to admit that I've been afraid to read my email recently, hahaha!

I heard there was only 9 last year.. But that's not a lot compared to the ALTs that went. Do you mind if I ask what degree you did in university?
    I did my masters in Japanese translation!

Yeah, it makes it stressful! Did you apply for ALT too?
    Cool! I have a bachelor's in translation, except English to French. I also have one in art.
    Last edited by AyaReiko; March 25th, 2015 at 12:14.

Oh that's cool!
    I ticked for ALT as well, just in case. How did you find the Japanese section of the interview?

I thought it was alright, pretty similar to last year. They told me they would grade me on my reading skills (speed, enunciation, etc.) as well, so that was interesting to know (although not surprising at all!) I thought it was kind of funny that they had me do the ALT portion as well, but oh well. My CIR text was about the validity of newspaper as a media, and the conversation that ensued was very interesting (and long).
    That being said, I took a break from my Japanese for a few years and I think it really shows in things like my vocabulary. I couldn't think of the word for "radicalize", so I ended up using ISIS in a sentence. That might have been yarisugi, hahaha.
    How about you? Was it what you expected? Did you get the newspaper text as well?

I had the same article as well! I couldn't hear the questions very well because my examiner kept mumbling, so I felt bad asking for clarification more than once. What was the ALT section like? I heard it is a little easier than the CIR section?

I was so worried about the reading section, because everyone said it would be tough. It was easier than expected, but fingers crossed! It'll be so awesome if we can go!