Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Turning down Interac's first offer

Banned

Default Re: Turning down Interac's first offer

Okayama is a decent sized city with plenty of stuff and is directly on the Shinkansen line. I suppose you could end up in the ass end of the prefecture, but it's not a terrible placement.

i just turned down an offer from Interac. It did not meet my high priority request for in the city (being in the middle of nowhere). I have heard on here that i will now get a worse assignment. What can i do if i don't accept that and want to hold out for a city assignment? will they put me to work in their tokyo office? My fiancee is living in Tokyo so its essential I get a job there, as she will not move due to family ties.
    If they keep trying to put me elsewhere and i cant accept what happens?
    Thanks very much!

If you keep turning down offers, they will stop making them and turn you down. If you told them you need Tokyo and they didn't offer it to you with their first offer, it's unlikely their second or third will be Tokyo either.
    ...because Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by antilles43 View Post
    i just turned down an offer from Interac. It did not meet my high priority request for in the city (being in the middle of nowhere). I have heard on here that i will now get a worse assignment. What can i do if i don't accept that and want to hold out for a city assignment? will they put me to work in their tokyo office? My fiancee is living in Tokyo so its essential I get a job there, as she will not move due to family ties.
    Thanks very much!
    Odds are far higher they'll simply say you can't be accommodated, but I suppose there's always the chance if you're really wanted by them.

Your fiance seems rather inflexible though, which I don't think is a good sign. Wanting to be near her family is fine, refusing to be anywhere but near her family is sort of a red flag.

Pimpin wenches aint easy BeckyJones's Avatar

Thanks very much!
    you think interac cares about you, and your desire to be in Tokyo. Dude, that is rich.
    if they offer you a position, and you turn it down... they go on to the next foreigner jumping at the bit to get into Japan.

Edit: You have an option of either accepting it, because let's face it.. you are not in a position to argue... you have no power. or you go to tokyo as an eikaiwa teacher, or part timer/aeon, nova... and even then they don't care rather you want to be in Tokyo or not.
    Last edited by BeckyJones; February 20th, 2015 at 11:44. Reason: Please don't tell people to do something that's illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    His dying breath will not be how sorry he is to leave his wife or children, but it will be saved to insult Jiggit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ini View Post
    Hello song, what do you like sports? and fruit basket. The holy trinity of English education.

Gizmoduck - blatherskite Gizmotech's Avatar

Another way to think about it is this:

There are a few thousand interac employees around the company. Many of them would love to work in the greater tokyo metro. They are experienced, and have seniority in the company.

Why would they give one of those prime positions to a new guy when they have a line of employees they want to keep happy and working for nothing waiting for those jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cytrix View Post
    Organising anything with ALTs is like herding cats on catnip

Quote Originally Posted by Antonath View Post
    We Jeeperneez are express all emotion through money. Wedding is happy money. Funeral is sad money. Izakaya is friendship money. Girl-bar is almost-sex money. But babby-borning is bery happy money, as no babby in Japan. All babby is special so we is givings much money as presento for babby.

Aha, well they are interesting things to hear, and yes. I am wondering just how far my fiancee can be accommodated before things get tricky for us both.
    I am not new to them, although this is my second time to work for them. I do have several commendations and my lessons were the subject of an in depth study by MEXT as part of improving Japanese education, so i hope... they may value me for my experience and ability to train Japanese teachers. I was also on National Tv teaching for them. But hey, im still just another jonny foreigner at the end of the day too, despite past successes.

I requested inner city urban metro (not necessarily Tokyo) and they gave me a town of 1000 people with no trains and possibly one bus every 3 hours. not what i asked for at all.
    Last edited by Antonath; February 22nd, 2015 at 00:21.

They might never be able to accommodate your fiancee. In the end, you're working for Interac. They cannot guarantee you a placement in Tokyo just because you have a fiancee. If you were married, it may be a different story. It's too bad your fiancee is not very flexible.

Honestly, If you really want to stay with Interac, don't push them and decline any position that's not super urban. Yeah, a town of 1000 people and no trains sucks, but it may be a good experience regardless. Perhaps Interac would like to place you more rural in order to expose them to your amazing lesson background? Who knows.

Try Gaba.
    車庫 B1F

Aha, well they are interesting things to hear, and yes. I am wondering just how far my fiancee can be accommodated before things get tricky for us both.
    I am not new to them, although this is my second time to work for them. I do have several commendations and my lessons were the subject of an in depth study by MEXT as part of improving Japanese education, so i hope... they may value me for my experience and ability to train Japanese teachers. I was also on National Tv teaching for them. But hey, im still just another jonny foreigner at the end of the day too, despite past successes.

I requested inner city urban metro (not necessarily Tokyo) and they gave me a town of 1000 people with no trains and possibly one bus every 3 hours. not what i asked for at all.
    If you are such a star then why in God's name are you applying to work for Interac again?

Quote Originally Posted by patjs View Post
    If you are such a star then why in God's name are you applying to work for Interac again?
    Right? With the way some people talk about themselves on here they must either be leaving the crazy shit out or absolutely balls at selling themself.

if you are the poster boy for interac then wouldn't you have better luck applying for their "management consultant" or "head teacher" jobs rather than a bog standard ALT position. you'll probably have a better chance of getting a city placement within an hours commute of central tokyo (chiba, saitama etc) with one of those jobs.
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

If you don't get the town you requested as your first offer, it's extremely unlikely it's going to show up as your second one because the town's BOE probably turned your resume down. Interac doesn't really care who goes where, it's all up the BOEs. When you request a spot, Interac sends your resume to that area's BOE along with everyone else who wants in there. The BOE then decides who they want. So it's not Interac denying you the spot ... it's the BOE finding your resume lacking for some reason.

Best thing to do is just take the initial offer, put your time in, then request a transfer to see if that experience makes your resume more appealing to the BOE of the town/city you really want (also, requesting a transfer mid-school year is probably not going to make you look good to other BOEs because they'll figure you'll bail on them too).
    Last edited by mirrormirror; March 12th, 2015 at 01:06.

Hi Guys, I got my first choice!
    I'm so happy!
    I am actually amazed that they turned around and gave it to me, but hey, good things happen i guess.
    No i don't see myself as a star, quite the contrary this year. I have made mistakes and I know it. But i have learned.
    Head teacher? Dont know about that, what qualifications do you need?

OK I guess we all know nothing. Time to pack up the tough-loving straight-talking act, boys. Optimism and a positive outlook work miracles.

Congratulations, btw.

Head teacher? Dont know about that, what qualifications do you need?
    Teach English in Japan | Interac

those cunning devils, hiding all the good jobs in plain view on their website
    Great men of action never mind on occasion being ridiculous; in a sense it is part of their job.

Thanks dude,

Next year for sure, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ALTInsiderFY View Post
    I think not relocating for a long period of time is a product of not knowing anything when you first get to Japan and having to "build up" friends, activities, basically another social life. It's not easy, so when you finally get that sort of figured out, the idea of doing that again, even in a city you really wanted to live in initially, doesn't sound very appealing.

But I regret not doing it. Not doing something just because it's out of your comfort zone is the fast track to hating yourself or your surroundings. At least it was for me.

Luckily I shook it, but it took having the same talk at about 50 gaijin bars with 50 different people about how Japan wasn't all we hoped it would be until I realized it wasn't Japan's fault, it was mine.
    I feel like I can relate to this so much...